Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, henry1978 said:

I forget what the cape had for that epic bust in February 1989 but Newport only had three inches.  I know atlantic city got hammered. Two days after that Friday bust another event passed through on sunday and Weymouth led the way with 7 inches in an otherwise horrid winter. The Cape had 20 plus in February 1999 and Newport had around 12.  Most of SNE had six or less in that February 1987 blizzard that buried the cape with up to two feet. Jay Leno just bought a seventeen million dollar mansion at the southernmost tip of Newport. I venture to guess that very spot gets the least amount of snow on the southern new England mainland.

I grew up in Brockton and I remember many Cape events while we got porked. We'd have some nice events of 10+, but I did not see 20+ until 1996. I won't go into the absolute heartache I had from Dec 1992. I'm probably due for one of those.

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 6:56 PM, #NoPoles said:

Fyi, the Unabomber Manifesto was 35,000 words...

Wait, are you too young to know about the Unabomber???

I know about him

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 7:06 PM, CoastalWx said:

I thought it was Dawn Awakening?

It has I changed the title, it sounds better this way now

7 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I grew up in Brockton and I remember many Cape events while we got porked. We'd have some nice events of 10+, but I did not see 20+ until 1996. I won't go into the absolute heartache I had from Dec 1992. I'm probably due for one of those.

When you were a little kid you could brag to people that the middle weight champion of the world was from your hometown.  This was during a time when professional boxing was a lot more popular than it is today.  Brockton got porked relative to the cape in January 1987, February 1987 and February 1993 and a handful of smaller not so memorable events that clipped the cape during the interior SE MA lean years.  But Brockton had some decent events during this time like November 1986, veterans day 1987, January 1988, thanksgiving day 1989, December 1993, January 1994, February 1994X2.  January 1990-till March 1993 was very lean in this area as anyone over 35 knows and 1986-1990 didn't have any blockbusters except that epic cape blizzard on February 1987.

Being an infant of course doesn't count but February 1983 was a biggie .  I also remember a couple other big ones the first half of the 1980s that did not become part of our weather lore.  I could be mistaken but I remember a snowstorm the day of the Reagan assassination attempt in March 1981.

I never saw widespread SNE forecast snow maps of 12-18 inches plus on SNE tv stations until December 1995 and lately events like this are commonplace.

15 hours ago, wxmanmitch said:

Although I wasn't that meticulous with measuring and keeping records during those years, I'd estimate the seasonal average along the parkway was in the low 30s. The northern side of New Canaan up around 500-600' is probably high 30s. Along I-95, it's probably mid to high 20s. 

No way they average as little as "mid to upper 20s"...no one that far west in CT averages less than 30"...NYC-Central Park is 28"/season, and places like Southern Westchester at similar latitude are around 35"...the Dobbs Ferry co-op is 36". 

You have to go out to GON and New London County to average 25-28"...

9 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Impressive wind for sure.  96mph at the summit, 59mph in the ski area parking lots, 45mph at a PWS at town elevation which seems to be quite rare.

Temps back into the 20s with a dusting of white on the ground...wish it were November, heading into it again.

It almost feels like November out today with the crisp winds, low dewpoints, and bare trees. Only 33F here in the Bronx. The only betrayal of the season is the sun; it's way too light for 8am in November.

1 hour ago, nzucker said:

No way they average as little as "mid to upper 20s"...no one that far west in CT averages less than 30"...NYC-Central Park is 28"/season, and places like Southern Westchester at similar latitude are around 35"...the Dobbs Ferry co-op is 36". 

You have to go out to GON and New London County to average 25-28"...

The immediate coast in SW CT averages less than 30"....BDR does, though admittedly not by much...their long term average since 1950 is 29.5. You prob dont have to go that far inland to get above 30, but the immediate coast there is a pretty bad spot. Their 30 year average will def go up though. Their 1971-2000 mean is something like 24 inches but goes up to 27 inches for 1981-2010.

It has always been my opinion though that 30 years is too short for snowfall as it doesn't allow for the full decadal cycles of the AO/PDO complete. So you catch a cruddy period or a good period and it can be vastly different. The 1971-2000 normals were some of the worst for a lot of the Northeast from NYC northeastward. It's why I like to capture at least 50-60 years in the record, but no method is going to be perfect.

Archived