Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It’s possible frozen doggie poop can add a half inch or so to each measurement. Hiding in the snow and adding an unexpected bump!

Cant happen on an elevated snow board but at keast some of us keep accurate records rather than estimating from Andover for N Weymouth  every other storm. 

9 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Read the edit,  gave instead of have but you get the point, once you moved to the lowlands your passion for being top dog in SNE waned. I would lose interest too if I lost 30 plus inches a year due to moving.

Huh? I think only input into it a couple times when I was living in ORH....he may have added my totals though given they were in my sig. I was never top dog in SNE...we have posters in Berks and N ORH county.

And lol at 30 inches...even Logan airport doesn't average 30 inches less than ORH. More like 7-8".

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Huh? I think only input into it a couple times when I was living in ORH....he may have added my totals though given they were in my sig. I was never top dog in SNE...we have posters in Berks and N ORH county.

And lol at 30 inches...even Logan airport doesn't average 30 inches less than ORH. More like 7-8".

you are too easy

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yankee Stadium rocked all last year, where were you under a rock?

That's like saying Granny rocked when she worked the pole at Foxy Lady. The decks are recessed so far back the noise escapes into the air and the new stadium is significantly quieter.  Baseball has been on the decline for a long time and it doesn't help when the sports' top franchise plays in such an ugly venue.

Of course when a guy hits 52 homes there's gonna be some excitement. But the stadium is an architectural and public opinion dud in every stretch of the imagination and in less than twenty years the Yankees will be clamoring for a new stadium just like Atlanta was less than twenty years after turner field opened.  MLB needs to find a new firm to design these stadiums because HOK populous aint cutting it.  I don't believe any of these attendance figures 75% of these teams announce.

1 hour ago, wxmanmitch said:

I actually don't think the 15" report from BDR in the 1996 blizzard is all that far off from reality. I lived in New Canaan at the time just a stone throw NW of Merritt Parkway exit 38 and we didn't have more than about 17-18" from the entire event. We got sucker holed with lighter snows for a good portion of that night since the heaviest snows were from NYC down toward Philly with a separate fronto band that got SW MA.

There was about 8" of old snow OTG prior to the storm, so it's conceivable that those 27" reports were measuring the old snow along with the new. My total depth in New Canaan right after that storm was around 25-26" and I vividly recall being a little disappointed when the last flakes from that storm fell. This was still my greatest depth in the 14 years I resided there, with a close second at 22-23" in February 1994.

Although I wasn't that meticulous with measuring and keeping records during those years, I'd estimate the seasonal average along the parkway was in the low 30s. The northern side of New Canaan up around 500-600' is probably high 30s. Along I-95, it's probably mid to high 20s. 

Must have been sporadic in spots in Fairfield county.

I definitely measured 27. Never experienced higher drifts in my life. Not even Nemo or 2006. Aligned with Fairfield and Greenwich reports as well. My favorite storm to date.

11 minutes ago, henry1978 said:

That's like saying Granny rocked when she worked the pole at Foxy Lady. The decks are recessed so far back the noise escapes into the air and the new stadium is significantly quieter.  Baseball has been on the decline for a long time and it doesn't help when the sports' top franchise plays in such an ugly venue.

Of course when a guy hits 52 homes there's gonna be some excitement. But the stadium is an architectural and public opinion dud in every stretch of the imagination and in less than twenty years the Yankees will be clamoring for a new stadium just like Atlanta was less than twenty years after turner field opened.  MLB needs to find a new firm to design these stadiums because HOK populous aint cutting it.  I don't believe any of these attendance figures 75% of these teams announce.

i went to several games last year, did you? It was great, you can preen for old school stadiums and I do too but that ship has sailed, deal with it,,

Cosgrove

4 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

We dont have good data except Wareham and ACK. Unfortunately the Hyannis and Chatham coops were terrible for snow...ACK averaged 29.7" and Wareham is 35.8"...so the upper Cape is clearly going to be much closer to East Wareham...so something like 34" is not unreasonable at all. CHH (CQX) is prob closer to 31-32 even its eastern exposure. I'm failing to see any empirical evdience that the SW CT coast averages more than the Cape. You could maybe make an argument that they average similar to the outer most Cape. The HVN airport when it was a first order station averaged 34.3 inches...so you're going to be working below that number for the southwest CT coast from BDR to Fairfield to Stamford and those areas. Once you get up into the Merritt and north of that, it's definitely different...there is a pretty steep gradient once you get into that territory inland.

Snowfall retention is certainly better in Fairfield county along the shoreline than on the Cape. 95 is one heck of an urban heat island as well. I don't really consider areas around Greenwich to be really shoreline anyway, until you get farther east.

Rather than sit in traffic in late afternoons on 95 I've done a lot of driving in the neighborhoods in byram, cos cob, Greenwich over the years and I've found this area to get more snow than eastern parts of Westchester. It seems like in late afternoon rush hour even in the winter when leaving NYC traffic thins out in Westchester and as soon as you hit the CT state line traffic gets heavy again. 

29.7 in Nantucket seems high. Newport at best is low 20s, block island is in the teens.  I don't even think Nantucket broke out of the teens this winter.

1 minute ago, henry1978 said:

Snowfall retention is certainly better in Fairfield county along the shoreline than on the Cape. 95 is one heck of an urban heat island as well. I don't really consider areas around Greenwich to be really shoreline anyway, until you get farther east.

Rather than sit in traffic in late afternoons on 95 I've done a lot of driving in the neighborhoods in byram, cos cob, Greenwich over the years and I've found this area to get more snow than eastern parts of Westchester. It seems like in late afternoon rush hour even in the winter when leaving NYC traffic thins out in Westchester and as soon as you hit the CT state line traffic gets heavy again. 

29.7 in Nantucket seems high. Newport at best is low 20s, block island is in the teens.  I don't even think Nantucket broke out of the teens this winter.

I believe the ACK data with the FAA observer over shoddy coop data....anyways, BID isn't in the teens. It was 22 inches back in the day during its run of consistent data from the late 1940s to late 1970s. No doubt BID is the lowest for any single point in New England. No argument on that one...it is in a terrible spot for snow.

11 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

i went to several games last year, did you? It was great, you can preen for old school stadiums and I do too but that ship has sailed, deal with it,,

Cosgrove

No.  I haven't been to a game since 2015 and am not in a hurry to go back.  I used to go early to the old stadium and watch the guys play basketball in the outdoor court and the kids play baseball across from the basketball court.  It was so New York.  I remember the old handball courts too that still existed to the left of the basketball court in the 80s before they expanded the player parking lot. I used to eat at the unity coffee shop, the crown diner, or the courthouse deli between the grand concourse and river avenue across from the courthouse before each game.  I went to 75 games in yankee stadium from 1994-2008 and proudly didn't eat a thing inside there.  I miss the energy at stans and inside the bowling alley before each game. I often parked in the high 160s on the concourse in front of that park where they filmed a scene with al pacino from serpico in I believe 1973.

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I believe the ACK data with the FAA observer over shoddy coop data....anyways, BID isn't in the teens. It was 22 inches back in the day during its run of consistent data from the late 1940s to late 1970s. No doubt BID is the lowest for any single point in New England. No argument on that one...it is in a terrible spot for snow.

data for block island the last twenty years or so has been virtually non existent, and is rarely included in the box PNS reports which they've done a good job chronicling since the 1997-1998 winter. I check BID's observations all the time to monitor the rain snow line for Newport and 22 inches seems like a stretch to me.  In the three big storms of 2010-2011 after boxing day block island barely got anything in all three events as the rain snow parked itself in pretty much the same spot for all three events while Newport had 5-7 for all three events which we know was significantly lower than just about all of new england.  In 33 years of studying Newport's snow climo I'd put Newport at no better than 22-26 from south to north.

I've been to several games at dodger stadium in recent years.  I've been to MLB games in 14 cities in my lifetime.  There is nothing, absolutely nothing like the intensity of watching a game in boston or new York.  Its even more intense than Philly.  Certainly more intense than Baltimore.  Obviously things are different these days, and of course you no longer hear any organ music at fenway. I think fenway was the last stadium in mlb to play loud music.

However, the atmosphere in all these stadiums across the country has become more fan friendly the last fifteen years.  I remember going to fenway and you saw lots of working class guys screaming and swearing for red sox yankee games and that doesn't happen nearly as much as it used to.  I remember vicious fights inside red sox yankee games at stadium holding onto my younger brother for dear life once listening to a guy call another guy a coc k sucker.  Those days are largely gone. Life in America is different but part of me does miss the combat zone and hookers, hole in the wall peep shows in times square.

19 minutes ago, henry1978 said:

data for block island the last twenty years or so has been virtually non existent, and is rarely included in the box PNS reports which they've done a good job chronicling since the 1997-1998 winter. I check BID's observations all the time to monitor the rain snow line for Newport and 22 inches seems like a stretch to me.  In the three big storms of 2010-2011 after boxing day block island barely got anything in all three events as the rain snow parked itself in pretty much the same spot for all three events while Newport had 5-7 for all three events which we know was significantly lower than just about all of new england.  In 33 years of studying Newport's snow climo I'd put Newport at no better than 22-26 from south to north.

I think you're a bit too low. Even the extreme eastern south fork of LI is around low to mid 20s which is like 15 miles WSW of BID and still almost fully surrounded by water. I get that they might average a little more because of the slightly more protected ENE component, but its still pretty and exposed and a lower latitude. None of these places are any good for retention so just driving to them is going to not capture the full snowfall analysis....I'm not saying that's all you are doing, but I think all of us sort of use that as a guide at times. But the closer to the coast you are in a very very poor retention area, the less useful it is.

I think we have to remember all the "if a tree falls in the forest and nobdy is around" syndrome too...smetimes you get those scrapers which give a place like newport 4 or 5 inches of snow while the rest of us get a coating to an inch....or even bigger events than that. More common on the cape than a place like BID or UUU, but they still happen,.

46 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I think you're a bit too low. Even the extreme eastern south fork of LI is around low to mid 20s which is like 15 miles WSW of BID and still almost fully surrounded by water. I get that they might average a little more because of the slightly more protected ENE component, but its still pretty and exposed and a lower latitude. None of these places are any good for retention so just driving to them is going to not capture the full snowfall analysis....I'm not saying that's all you are doing, but I think all of us sort of use that as a guide at times. But the closer to the coast you are in a very very poor retention area, the less useful it is.

I think we have to remember all the "if a tree falls in the forest and nobdy is around" syndrome too...smetimes you get those scrapers which give a place like newport 4 or 5 inches of snow while the rest of us get a coating to an inch....or even bigger events than that. More common on the cape than a place like BID or UUU, but they still happen,.

They got porked in 10-11 relative to normal,along with CC. But for everyone of if those there is 88-89, 98-99 etc.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Not gonna lie, Bob... for all the "its just snow" or "don't care" posts, you've been awfully interested and engaged this winter ;).

Weenies can mask it all they want,  but in the end it just pokes through those Bugle Boys and says hello.

Like a Halloween evening out there... gusty NW winds, orographic and lake triggered cellular and fast moving graupel showers rolling through as the cold pool moves in aloft.

Could just as easily be the beginning of the season as the end, ha.

Textbook autumn-looking radar.

iPf5jAB.gif

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Weenies can mask it all they want,  but in the end it just pokes through those Bugle Boys and says hello.

I forget what the cape had for that epic bust in February 1989 but Newport only had three inches.  I know atlantic city got hammered. Two days after that Friday bust another event passed through on sunday and Weymouth led the way with 7 inches in an otherwise horrid winter. The Cape had 20 plus in February 1999 and Newport had around 12.  Most of SNE had six or less in that February 1987 blizzard that buried the cape with up to two feet. Jay Leno just bought a seventeen million dollar mansion at the southernmost tip of Newport. I venture to guess that very spot gets the least amount of snow on the southern new England mainland.

Archived