Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

You're wrong...even with BDR's undermeasuring, that wouldn't make up for a 6 inch difference...because what you'd be arguing is that BDR should average as much as HVN and we know that isn't true. If you are north of the merritt, then your location doesn't apply to the empirical argument.

CT rain wrote that they moved the BDR station off of the penninsula so the next few years should start to show the real amounts.

For instance, blizzard of 1996 BDR reported 15 while reports from Fairfield Norwalk Greenwich all aligned with 27. They were off by 12.

2006 same thing, they reported 12 while the same areas reported an above all aligned with 20.5. 8.5 difference. I could go on and on.

I am not arguing with you about the actual numbers due to the above issue.

Also, I lived in Norwalk on the coast for most of my life before moving to Easton. We always were much higher than Bridgeport. At times it was comical. The Norwalk average has to be close to 40.

5 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I don’t see the difference between bdr and hvn. I mean, hvn drains well but they both sit on the sound and less than 10 miles apart in their trajectory doesnt make that much of a difference. 

Both are terrible areas to live, anyway.

Agreed on that

7 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I don’t see the difference between bdr and hvn. I mean, hvn drains well but they both sit on the sound and less than 10 miles apart in their trajectory doesnt make that much of a difference. 

Both are terrible areas to live, anyway.

When the Yale admissions officer came to after fainting from reading this the snarky realization of “who gives a fuk-we’re Yale muthufukkas” brought a smile.

13 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

Then it shouldn't be East Wareham which is at the very base of the Cape either. How does BDR compare to CQX?

We dont have good data except Wareham and ACK. Unfortunately the Hyannis and Chatham coops were terrible for snow...ACK averaged 29.7" and Wareham is 35.8"...so the upper Cape is clearly going to be much closer to East Wareham...so something like 34" is not unreasonable at all. CHH (CQX) is prob closer to 31-32 even its eastern exposure. I'm failing to see any empirical evdience that the SW CT coast averages more than the Cape. You could maybe make an argument that they average similar to the outer most Cape. The HVN airport when it was a first order station averaged 34.3 inches...so you're going to be working below that number for the southwest CT coast from BDR to Fairfield to Stamford and those areas. Once you get up into the Merritt and north of that, it's definitely different...there is a pretty steep gradient once you get into that territory inland.

5 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Lotta snow envy.  My average snowfall over the last 8 seasons has been 64.50"/season.  That's 61% above my long term running average of 40" that I use.  Suck it CT peeps. :wub:

Everyone knows interior SE MA is the new snow capital of new england...we're just debating who gets the scraps.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

We dont have good data except Wareham and ACK. Unfortunately the Hyannis and Chatham coops were terrible for snow...ACK averaged 29.7" and Wareham is 35.8"...so the upper Cape is clearly going to be much closer to East Wareham...so something like 34" is not unreasonable at all. CHH (CQX) is prob closer to 31-32 even its eastern exposure. I'm failing to see any empirical evdience that the SW CT coast averages more than the Cape. You could maybe make an argument that they average similar to the outer most Cape. The HVN airport when it was a first order station averaged 34.3 inches...so you're going to be working below that number for the southwest CT coast from BDR to Fairfield to Stamford and those areas. Once you get up into the Merritt and north of that, it's definitely different...there is a pretty steep gradient once you get into that territory inland.

Where is the East Wareham climate station?   I'd say it's on the Cape.  What is the dividing line between what is the Cape and what is not?  That canal has not always been there so what geographical point represents it? 

2 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Where is the East Wareham climate station?   I'd say it's on the Cape.  What is the dividing line between what is the Cape and what is not?  That canal has not always been there so what geographical point represents it? 

It's just north of Onset....it's prob about 1-2 miles west of the Canal.

3 hours ago, EastonSN+ said:

I love living in CT. Great beaches and Fairfield county is the richest in the country. Billions took place in Westport.

However, I will admit its great being a stones throw from NYC and Yankee Stadium.

yankee stadium isn't fun anymore.  It's no different than walking into any HOK ballpark in many cities in America.  Only uglier.  there is nothing new York about that boondoggle.  It doesn't matter this year where the team plays because of all the hype surrounding the sluggers but the stadium has been a ghost town the last several years.  randy Levine and lonn trost sold new York a bill of goods and the entire new York sports media bought all of it.  It was scary and Orwellian hearing so many sports media selling the bogus line in 2009 "it looks just like the original stadium."  Kudos to the red sox and cubs for preserving tradition.  I miss the old Wrigley and fenway, but at least both franchises have kept historical landmarks.

3 hours ago, EastonSN+ said:

CT rain wrote that they moved the BDR station off of the penninsula so the next few years should start to show the real amounts.

For instance, blizzard of 1996 BDR reported 15 while reports from Fairfield Norwalk Greenwich all aligned with 27. They were off by 12.

2006 same thing, they reported 12 while the same areas reported an above all aligned with 20.5. 8.5 difference. I could go on and on.

I am not arguing with you about the actual numbers due to the above issue.

Also, I lived in Norwalk on the coast for most of my life before moving to Easton. We always were much higher than Bridgeport. At times it was comical. The Norwalk average has to be close to 40.

I actually don't think the 15" report from BDR in the 1996 blizzard is all that far off from reality. I lived in New Canaan at the time just a stone throw NW of Merritt Parkway exit 38 and we didn't have more than about 17-18" from the entire event. We got sucker holed with lighter snows for a good portion of that night since the heaviest snows were from NYC down toward Philly with a separate fronto band that got SW MA.

There was about 8" of old snow OTG prior to the storm, so it's conceivable that those 27" reports were measuring the old snow along with the new. My total depth in New Canaan right after that storm was around 25-26" and I vividly recall being a little disappointed when the last flakes from that storm fell. This was still my greatest depth in the 14 years I resided there, with a close second at 22-23" in February 1994.

Although I wasn't that meticulous with measuring and keeping records during those years, I'd estimate the seasonal average along the parkway was in the low 30s. The northern side of New Canaan up around 500-600' is probably high 30s. Along I-95, it's probably mid to high 20s. 

2 hours ago, henry1978 said:

yankee stadium isn't fun anymore.  It's no different than walking into any HOK ballpark in many cities in America.  Only uglier.  there is nothing new York about that boondoggle.  It doesn't matter this year where the team plays because of all the hype surrounding the sluggers but the stadium has been a ghost town the last several years.  randy Levine and lonn trost sold new York a bill of goods and the entire new York sports media bought all of it.  It was scary and Orwellian hearing so many sports media selling the bogus line in 2009 "it looks just like the original stadium."  Kudos to the red sox and cubs for preserving tradition.  I miss the old Wrigley and fenway, but at least both franchises have kept historical landmarks.

Yankee Stadium rocked all last year, where were you under a rock?

Archived