• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

I've been busy with that maple season and just came back from a weekend away in the north country and was surprised to see that we still had the winter banter thread so I decided to start a new banter thread.

I was surprised to see how much snow melt there was around here since Thursday when I left.  When I left half my yard was still covered and the woods had pretty good coverage, now it's just a couple of really protected shady spots.  I also heard peepers when I was driving through the valley so with the maple season ending it's a sure sign that things are about to explode growth wise.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Anyone care to give me some idea what the weather will be like in Ireland the 13th-22nd?  Flying out of SWF on Friday evening around 830pm.

Not sure what the BBC uses for their forecasts, but here is what they have for Dublin thru the 15th.

https://www.bbc.com/weather/0/2964574

There's a chance I might be moving to a location that has a much better western exposure than I currently have and I'm interested in getting an accurate anemometer.  I'd like to consider a solution that could replace my current online station.  I'd prefer something that is not an all-in-one solution.  What kinds of solutions would give me a separate wind, thermometer and rain gauge?

5 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I’m looking forward to spring warmth and torch. What I’m going to miss this spring being so wet and cold is the gypsies. Doubtful we’ll see any this year. What a run we had the last several years though.

We’ve been cold?

10 minutes ago, dendrite said:

They are very pathetic patches in shaded areas and then piles which don’t count. I went with a trace the previous two days. 

Ok - I know the piles don't count but it sounded like you went from 1" to patches and recorded it as zero. 

BTW, did you happen to see my question above about weather station options?  Just curious if you have any thoughts.

6 hours ago, MetHerb said:

There's a chance I might be moving to a location that has a much better western exposure than I currently have and I'm interested in getting an accurate anemometer.  I'd like to consider a solution that could replace my current online station.  I'd prefer something that is not an all-in-one solution.  What kinds of solutions would give me a separate wind, thermometer and rain gauge?

What’s your budget?

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

What’s your budget?

I'm willing to make an investment in something that will allow me to report as accurate a number as I can.  The location is on a hillside that that looks over the Connecticut River Valley to the west.  I've never been so open before so I've never had a need for a quality anemometer.  I have quality analog (i.e. not online) thermometers and rain gauges which is why I'm wondering about options in a complete package but just about everything I've seen has been an all in one package and I'd like something that would allow the sensors to be the proper heights.  I also know that some sensors report instantaneous readings vs. averaged or peak readings.  Is there something in the $1-2K range that would give me that or is there something available cheaper than that?

I'm thinking I could get some good readings and I just don't want them discounted because of the equipment that recorded it.

I watched the pilot for The Crossing. I'm hoping for the best. It has the type of plot I prefer. But...I became unenamored with Lost and The Walking Dead...so it also has the potential to crash and burn. And it's on 10-11pm. That's pretty late. 

Today was ridiculously cold for April. High of 38 degrees.

11 hours ago, MetHerb said:

I'm willing to make an investment in something that will allow me to report as accurate a number as I can.  The location is on a hillside that that looks over the Connecticut River Valley to the west.  I've never been so open before so I've never had a need for a quality anemometer.  I have quality analog (i.e. not online) thermometers and rain gauges which is why I'm wondering about options in a complete package but just about everything I've seen has been an all in one package and I'd like something that would allow the sensors to be the proper heights.  I also know that some sensors report instantaneous readings vs. averaged or peak readings.  Is there something in the $1-2K range that would give me that or is there something available cheaper than that?

I'm thinking I could get some good readings and I just don't want them discounted because of the equipment that recorded it.

Give me a little time later to put a post longer than a couple sentences together. What do you have for an all-in-1 setup right now?

16 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Give me a little time later to put a post longer than a couple sentences together. What do you have for an all-in-1 setup right now?

It's just a crappy station that I got through Ambient Weather several years ago.  I wanted something so I could get an idea of the temperature at home while I was away.  I have that connected to a PC that uploads it to CWOP and WU.  I'm just thinking if I'm going to upgrade, I might as well do it right this time.

23 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I’m looking forward to spring warmth and torch. What I’m going to miss this spring being so wet and cold is the gypsies. Doubtful we’ll see any this year. What a run we had the last several years though.

Miss the gypsies?  To me that's like missing a toothache.  Are you hoping they kill your acorn-bombers?  Then you can toss a couple thou to a tree service to safely get rid of them.

Archived