• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Signs of Spring 2018

KamuSnow

Not to be confused with the Spring OBS thread, this is for all the good stuff that happens outside in the spring besides the weather, like plant life, critters, mowing, etc. Thought this pic would be a good lead in for this year, given the late season snows. Not sure why the Magnolia is starting to bloom so early, but this is different, seeing it accompanied by a snow pile on April 1st. I like it, although I might have to put a frost blanket on the tree later this week :yikes:.

April-1st-2018.thumb.jpg.1cb5769abb0cb2835033d8fdd490f98e.jpg

Just got back from my sister's house in Delco.  Both there and here in NW Philly, there are forsythia in bloom, early daffodils up and blooming, early cherries in bloom, and yup, the saucer magnolias. She has a spring-blooming camellia that has flower buds and a couple flowers near the bottom that were just opening.  Silver maples had been blooming the past couple weeks. My early lilac has some really swollen buds on it so I am hoping it stays 32 and above. There were a couple robins out on my fence yesterday afternoon with a song sparrow there too staring at them because they were in his territory.  lol

The store parking lots still have Kamu-sized or larger snow mounds though (much of it from that 3/7 storm, where they became saturated slop that froze into a glacier) so it will still be awhile before those go away. Would probably need multiple days of 60+ temps and heavy rain to reduce them.

My wife picked some daffodils the other day for inside, and we both noticed that they seem to have more fragrance than usual. Not strong, but nice, kind of like a faint flower shop smell. Maybe it's always been that way and we hadn't noticed, but for now we're attributing it to the extra snow we had in March, lol :snowing: .

eta: or maybe it's been so cool outside that they have some scent/whatnot in reserve, and bringing them inside brings it out - right? Flowers do seem to be more fragrant in warmer weather.

14 minutes ago, zenmsav6810 said:

DT is punting on Winter, says no more modeled snow showing up in the guidance. Scanning the continuum... My scans show nothing. Its getting very cold tonight. Ready for spring... hopefully the Skiers Union doesn't take away my members card. 

Yep, the prospects for meaningful snow have pretty much done a quiet fade the last few days, although tomorrow night could be sneaky for some areas. Beyond that I'm looking forward to some 60's for a few days later this week. Still I imagine there will be (spring) skiing to be had for a while yet.

The next few days looking like perfect spring weather. Too bad it doesn't look to last. We get back doored Sunday and next week looks back to cool and wet. Northern areas may even see some snow Monday night. Today, tomorrow, and Saturday look to be the nicest days of the year so far though. Time to get to golfing and gardening :)

1 hour ago, KamuSnow said:

Last day for the snow pile - lasted pretty well thanks to the cool weather overall. Cameo appearance by the Hess Express for size comparison!

Snowpile_4-12-18.thumb.jpg.12eee7b8347bb36fb0fffb0f13035fcf.jpg

That is pretty impressive.  I expected some of the parking lot mounds to still be around but even the largest piles were pretty much gone by last weekend, which would make sense anyway since in that situation, the lots are exposed to full sun and the asphalt absorbs the heat.

2 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

That is pretty impressive.  I expected some of the parking lot mounds to still be around but even the largest piles were pretty much gone by last weekend, which would make sense anyway since in that situation, the lots are exposed to full sun and the asphalt absorbs the heat.

I actually feel sad for that little mound....we all know where he/she is headed.

8 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

I actually feel sad for that little mound....we all know where he/she is headed.

Could always scoop the last of it up, stick in a bag, and put in the freezer for posterity.  Maybe use it next year as a "seeder" patch. :arrowhead: :lol: (yes my mind is shot today from cleaning up old foliage and other cleanup...lol)

11 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Could always scoop the last of it up, stick in a bag, and put in the freezer for posterity.  Maybe use it next year as a "seeder" patch. :arrowhead: :lol: (yes my mind is shot today from cleaning up old foliage and other cleanup...lol)

Lol...that's not "twisted" at all...I was thinking the same! I'll go a step further, after placement in the freezer let him/her out for a bit on the potentially hottest day of the summer...ONLY FOR A BIT...then back in the freezer. Then replant  when a cold/snowy pattern is in sight come late Fall/Winter.  

6 hours ago, Sophisticated Skeptic said:

starting to feel more confident of a nasty ice storm here early next week. 

It's a brutal High coming down from Canada.  The High off the Atlantic should get squished down enough.

Ah no.  NY/Canadian border up by lake placid perhaps but not here

16 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

16 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Lol...that's not "twisted" at all...I was thinking the same! I'll go a step further, after placement in the freezer let him/her out for a bit on the potentially hottest day of the summer...ONLY FOR A BIT...then back in the freezer. Then replant  when a cold/snowy pattern is in sight come late Fall/Winter.  

Good suggestions, lol. At first I thought you guys were going towards snow cone/water ice which I might take a pass on. Seeding the snow pile for the next winter is an interesting concept - maybe next year! (It went away yesterday). Reminds me of putting hailstones in the freezer.

Speaking of storing odd things in the freezer, this was from 2 years ago - these guys wanted to see what the attraction was for all the other birds who we put seed out for. They weren't impressed by the peanuts, and came over towards the porch as if to say "what else you got?". I did an internet search for what vultures might like besides road kill and didn't really come up with anything. So we talked about having a freezer in the basement for road kill (you know, one of those chest freezers), and imagined someone opening it up and asking what's this? Lol. This idea will likely remain in the conceptual stage.

Vultures-at-door-March-2016.thumb.jpg.ca9fd4879fde0c9fd9e2d1c67e660f1e.jpg

1 hour ago, KamuSnow said:

Speaking of storing odd things in the freezer, this was from 2 years ago - these guys wanted to see what the attraction was for all the other birds who we put seed out for. They weren't impressed by the peanuts, and came over towards the porch as if to say "what else you got?". I did an internet search for what vultures might like besides road kill and didn't really come up with anything. So we talked about having a freezer in the basement for road kill (you know, one of those chest freezers), and imagined someone opening it up and asking what's this? Lol. This idea will likely remain in the conceptual stage.

Vultures-at-door-March-2016.thumb.jpg.ca9fd4879fde0c9fd9e2d1c67e660f1e.jpg

Looking at your pics, I didn't realize the other type of vulture in the area.  I am used to seeing those huge ugly mug turkey vultures but yours are apparently the better looking black vultures. lol

1 hour ago, Bosswx said:

Bradford pear trees full bloom almost leading many trees blooming!

Just noticed a bunch of pending blooms here today on our pear trees. Things are going quickly - I imagine after a few days of warmth when the rain gets here Sunday - Sunday night things will really pop.

actually...

Dated: 930 AM EDT SUN APR 15 2018

Includes the Counties: Monroe, Including The City Of Stroudsburg

Rest Of Today...Cloudy with a chance of drizzle. A chance of rain and freezing rain late this morning, then rain and freezing rain likely this afternoon. Patchy fog. Additional ice accumulation around a trace. Much cooler. Near steady temperature in the mid 30s. East winds 10 to 15 mph with gusts up to 30 mph. Chance of precipitation 60 percent.

Tonight...Rain showers with freezing rain likely in the evening, then rain showers with a slight chance of freezing rain after midnight. Patchy fog. Precipitation May be heavy at Times after midnight. Ice accumulation of up to a tenth of an inch. Breezy with lows in the mid 30s. East winds 15 to 20 mph with gusts up to 30 mph. Chance of precipitation 90 percent.

Archived