Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
April Mid/Long Range & Disco

NorthArlington101

15 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

As others have said, it would be a fitting end to get screwed by a major snowstorm sliding south of us IN APRIL.    I'm of the opinion that it absolutely could happen.

Yes it would be lol... but I don't remember a storm that struck SC/NC that gave them over 4" of snow in April

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That April storm that clobbered Richmond and Philly but only fringed DC and Baltimore was a Boxing Day type hook storm because places west of DC and Baltimore got nothing.  So it must of tracked west to east south of us then turned north.  Obviously in time to give DC and Baltimore some snow unlike Boxing Day but same general idea.  

GFS slowing down the vortex NW Territories a lot this run.  I thought yesterdays 12z was too fast, but this is a total ****show since then.

Edit: It's a pretty good run, I'm just obsessing with the poor GFS performance on the vortex in Canada.

1 hour ago, yoda said:

Yes it would be lol... but I don't remember a storm that struck SC/NC that gave them over 4" of snow in April

I recall a storm in the early 2000s where my sister's house in Winston-Salem, NC got 4"+ on Easter, which was in the first week of April that year.  It was a pretty big deal for them.  Not sure what it did up here for that storm, because I didn't live here at the time.

Ehh I'm not a big fan of the trends. It's close enough not to shut the door. But this isn't the range we want the consensus way south of us. This isn't 15 years ago. Lately where the consensus from day 5/6 is has been pretty close to where things end up. Details change of course but the general idea has been good. 

Still some moving parts. The system in front has trended stronger which suppressed. Then there is the system on its heels and if that can trend faster maybe that ends up doing something before the cold gets stale. But yesterday this looked better. It's been a step back since then and just because it's 5/6 days away doesn't make that a good thing. 

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Ehh I'm not a big fan of the trends. It's close enough not to shut the door. But this isn't the range we want the consensus way south of us. This isn't 15 years ago. Lately where the consensus from day 5/6 is has been pretty close to where things end up. Details change of course but the general idea has been good. 

Still some moving parts. The system in front has trended stronger which suppressed. Then there is the system on its heels and if that can trend faster maybe that ends up doing something before the cold gets stale. But yesterday this looked better. It's been a step back since then and just because it's 5/6 days away doesn't make that a good thing. 

Hug the ICON.

16 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Move that low another 100 miles north and we have a believable solution.

Icon actually was the best guidance with last nights wave. It was north and stayed north from way out. It never teased us. Not saying that means it's good or use it now. But I've noticed it have some good moments this year. Maybe with more tweaking it can become a decent tool. 

24 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

What trend?

5 minutes ago, yoda said:

Will have to wait for the in between hours to see how it got there... but 12z UKMET at 144 SLP looks nice

GZ_D5_PN_120_0000.gif

GZ_D5_PN_144_0000.gif

it's funny how the general storm pattern hasn't changed much the whole season.  hopefully it doesn't slide too far south.  that march event was too complicated for us to really do too well.  maybe this setup will be cleaner.

Just now, stormtracker said:

What trend?

Good point. It's only 1/2 runs so far. But the gfs cmc and euro all took a step towards a problamatic spacing problem between the waves Day 4.5 and 5.5. I didn't like the new look as much as the old. 

But it might just be noise and chaos at this range and settle back to a better look. There are a lot of cooks in the kitchen Day 5-10 and that's going to drive the models crazy. 

2 minutes ago, 87storms said:

it's funny how the general storm pattern hasn't changed much the whole season.  hopefully it doesn't slide too far south.  that march event was too complicated for us to really do too well.  maybe this setup will be cleaner.

My guess (wishcast) is right through C. NC and South Central VA...

I thought the GFS looked pretty good for 5 -6 days out. That's still plenty of time for it to come north. Last nights system had me on the northern edge 5 days ago and ground truth was a couple hundred miles further north. As long as it's not a weak strung out POS I think we will be sweating a north trend by Wednesday. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived