April Mid/Long Range & Disco

NorthArlington101

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Jandurin said:

I thought fineas was talking about March 21

I didn't even think people were taking the April 2 thing seriously

I certainly wasn't, but it seemed to me the QPF side of it busted pretty bad from the model projections. It barely drizzled around these parts. Not to mention there wasn't a flake.

1 hour ago, stormtracker said:

Bobby, I have a feeling about this one.

It's got all the right ingredients for April snow. One thing working for it is this time of year you don't need a big wound up synoptic low to get good qpf. I could easily see widespread .5-1" qpf. And the cold (even if rain) is about as "extreme" as you can get for daytime temps. 

But snowmaps are ridiculous. 10:1....lol. I would guess 4:1 best case scenario for burbs and cities and that's assuming all snow too. It's got legit potential for a very anomalous April snow but there is practically zero chance at warning criteria outside of elevation. Even with 1" qpf all snow... As long as everyone can accept that then we can have some fun with it. If someone measures a clean 3" within 25 miles of dca and complains then they need to take the red pill. 

2 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Good to see you back dude! I am very skeptical myself, but the models are teasing big time lol. Just rolling with it. Dont really care either way.

Btw- New(reman) 392 HEMI on order. Too bad it wasn't simply the PCM lol. Badly wiped cam lobe and a bunch of metal fragments everywhere in the engine.

At this point in the year it's all for fun. Win, lose, or draw...we're discussing potential accum snow in the med range in April. Not particularly common. Would make a great memory and experience for an otherwise underwhelming winter. 

New motor means you can start all over again with wearing it out! haha. I wonder if you can get the 8 speed trans in your truck too...heh. 

For accumulations, I think the onset time would be critical.  GFS has the first coating down around most of the area by 12z.  Once the first layer is down, sun angle is less of a factor due to the high albedo of fresh snow. 

FWIW, the 18z ICON went a little too far south for my comfort.  (Good news if you live in VA though.)  If something north of the 18z GFS verifies, it would be an unusually large 96-hour miss for the ICON.

I feel like those of us paying attention are just waiting for that model run that says this was all a pipe dream.  But I really expected it to have happened by now.  The nice thing is that its April and if we do get "screwed" it wont have nearly the same effect as it would have two months ago.

10 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

I feel like those of us paying attention are just waiting for that model run that says this was all a pipe dream.  But I really expected it to have happened by now.  The nice thing is that its April and if we do get "screwed" it wont have nearly the same effect as it would have two months ago.

Don't kid yourself. Bristow is warming up his snow blower as we speak and Ji is thanking God that Bob Chill showed up. LOL

8 hours ago, mappy said:

If DC gets even half of what the gfs and euro are showing for the weekend, I won’t post again until next winter

8 hours ago, stormtracker said:

Ok!

Thought you were in self imposed exile Tracker? And here your are egging Mappy on? 

That's alright though, think the Governor has one more reprieve to dole out for Mappy. :D

10 hours ago, Cobalt said:

No way on Earth DCA records 3.5" in April during the day. No way. 

10 hours ago, SnowGolfBro said:

C'mon.  DCA can barely measure 3.5" in a January Blizzard lol

thats the point guys... its a safe bet. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived