Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April Banter

George BM

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

Are you two still holding out hope for the Caps? After watching them for over 40 years let me tell you there is no hope. They will crush your dreams each and every time. Only suggestion I have is to drink and heavily. It will help you get past the disappointment. Me, I get to listen to my Father-In-Law lord over me about how wonderful his Penguins are.

Well, when the Caps can't get past the 2nd round because of the Penguins...and the Penguins have won back to back Stanley Cups... lol

Oh, and I'm a Penguin fan btw just in case you didn't know 

4 hours ago, yoda said:

Well, when the Caps can't get past the 2nd round because of the Penguins...and the Penguins have won back to back Stanley Cups... lol

Oh, and I'm a Penguin fan btw just in case you didn't know 

I already knew. But everybody has their faults so I won't hold that against you. :D

12 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

Are you two still holding out hope for the Caps? After watching them for over 40 years let me tell you there is no hope. They will crush your dreams each and every time. Only suggestion I have is to drink and heavily. It will help you get past the disappointment. Me, I get to listen to my Father-In-Law lord over me about how wonderful his Penguins are.

Man, tell me about it! I've been with this team since the very beginning when I'd go to games in those extra lean early years at the Cap Centre just a couple miles from my then house. It's going to happen one year, and when it does, it will happen in an unlikely and even lucky way.

Did anyone see the article on Accuweather.com about the latest dates of recorded snow in various cities?  Gotta love the part about the system that brought measurable snow to IAD on 28 April, 1898 - a full 5 years before the Wright Bros flew at Kitty Hawk (I'm from Dayton, Oh btw).  Hard to imagine such a snafu gets by even cursory editing...

From Accuweather.com - https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/when-is-the-latest-snowfall-for-these-major-us-cities/70004752

"Since official record keeping began however, the latest measurable snowfall has occurred on April 28, 1898, when 0.5 of an inch of snow fell. While the same system also brought snow to both Washington-Dulles Airport and the city of Baltimore, it is interesting to note that Washington-Dulles later received an inch of snow on April 12, 1973, while downtown Washington and Baltimore received less than 0.1 of an inch.

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Dulles sure was ahead of its time I guess.  I've read that the Silver Line actually existed out to the airport back then, too.

Haha - Probably had problems with funding back then as well.  Just as with the Silver Line and Metro as a whole...  On the Metro, can you imagine if the benefit to the region if they put in a ring line on the Metro?  Anything that would relieve the number of bridge crossings for the collective masses commuting across the Potomac would be a stark improvement.  (no intent to open up the proverbial Pandora's Box here).

In an effort to help out, I did send some feedback on their typo form.  Not holding my breath for a response.  Back in the "good ole days" the proof readers would have caught it.  If not them, the typesetters for sure.  Heaven forbid it even got that far.  In today's electronic age, everyone is empowered yet accountability is muted. 

8 minutes ago, Subtropics said:

You're the opposite of me. I keep my bedroom temp in the mid 80s for prime sleeping temperature. Back after the derecho my house temperature upstairs climbed into the 90s and I was the only one in my family who could sleep in the house. I was in my element!

Mid 80's??? Is that even possible in the winter? Two things interrupt my sleep; congestion from allergies and heat. Unfortunately, a lot of times they happen together. If it was possible, I'd order up a room temperature of 60 year round and no pollen or ragweed, but the temperature is probably about 65 in the winter and 78 in the summer. I try to control my allergies with otc's, which are great compared to 20 - 30 years ago.

32 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Mid 80's??? Is that even possible in the winter? Two things interrupt my sleep; congestion from allergies and heat. Unfortunately, a lot of times they happen together. If it was possible, I'd order up a room temperature of 60 year round and no pollen or ragweed, but the temperature is probably about 65 in the winter and 78 in the summer. I try to control my allergies with otc's, which are great compared to 20 - 30 years ago.

I have a heater that runs very hot. I prefer to be lightly sweating and it gets the job done. 

31 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

The Eastern Shore never gets old. Especially the view from the bay bridge.

You should check out Wilmington, Charleston, and Savannah. You'd love it there. All have great views, beaches closes by, and beautiful weather most of the year. Add that to historic southern charm and they're pretty magical places.

*Edit* And legit risk of tropical every year. (Especially Wilmington, but all more than DC obviously)

36 minutes ago, yoda said:

Surprised the Wizards won again... series tied 2-2

john wall has been ballin' out.  the team needs to get off to better starts, though, so they're not playing catchup the rest of the game.  game 5 will be tough, but it's nice to know there'll be at least 1 more game in dc.

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

The best call I made all year was heading to OCMD for that monster. All timer of an event for me.

May be your best call for at least 25 years. Very rare we see a storm that strong bring wintry precipitation to the east coast.

1/3-5/18: 949 mb

3/12-14/93: 960 mb

1/6-8/96: 980 mb

2/4-6/10: 978 mb

2/8-10/13: 968 mb (which I believe was achieved well after it struck SE New England)

Hurricane Sandy: 940 mb

Hurricane Irene: 942 mb

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived