Newest Member
    SnowHabit
April Banter

George BM

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, C.A.P.E. said:

If you dont want to go over to the PR forum, maybe start a thread in OT. That way it stays out of banter and wont ruffle any feathers here, and others can participate if they choose.

I think the idea of a thread just for this in off topic should be a good idea. If anyone doesn't want to read it then just don't go in it. But I wasn't sure if that was allowed?  Mods/admins?  

Just now, psuhoffman said:

I think the idea of a thread just for this in off topic should be a good idea. If anyone doesn't want to read it then just don't go in it. But I wasn't sure if that was allowed?  Mods/admins?  

I agree but I am not sure on that tbh. I would think it would be ok, but since there is a political forum, perhaps they want to keep it all there.

11 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I agree but I am not sure on that tbh. I would think it would be ok, but since there is a political forum, perhaps they want to keep it all there.

Yea I dunno either. I do know that what typically happens is a discussion starts as something not totally political like a complaint over taxes or a silly joke about banning cars. Then it becomes political because politics is at the root of the issue. Then someone suggests (innocently enough) that we take it somewhere else. The only problem is it never makes it somewhere else it effectively gets squashed and invariably a good interesting discussion is dead. 

ETA. I feel like if there was a thread to just link too here it would make it easier to transition over and not kill the discussion/debate. 

34 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I dont think it is off limits. Like I said, It doesn't bother me, although I wont engage in it here, because others here have asked to keep the politics out.

The one poster who was very adamant about keeping politics out of here isn't very active anymore. 

I think the occasional comment or discussion is fine in the banter thread, just so long as politics doesn't start to dominate the conversation most of the time (and I'd say the same about sports).

11 minutes ago, Fozz said:

The one poster who was very adamant about keeping politics out of here isn't very active anymore. 

I think the occasional comment or discussion is fine in the banter thread, just so long as politics doesn't start to dominate the conversation most of the time (and I'd say the same about sports).

Why don't we just start a thread in off topic?  Then everyone gets what they want. I don't think that other board is a viable option considering the first 3 replies were a request to suck someone's &@$&, someone calling me a snowflake and someone saying they want to sh!t in my mouth. Hopefully the admins will be ok with a specific thread on off topic. 

6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Why don't we just start a thread in off topic?  Then everyone gets what they want. I don't think that other board is a viable option considering the first 3 replies were a request to suck someone's &@$&, someone calling me a snowflake and someone saying they want to sh!t in my mouth. Hopefully the admins will be ok with a specific thread on off topic. 

LOL

Yeah thats PR. Its not a pretty place these days. Not much intellectually honest discourse goes on there unfortunatey. Just one big troll game.

24 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Yeah, that place is a sh*thole. I'm in a very different mode when I argue there. Not a very good place for the kinds of discussions from the past few pages. 

You guys are wild. I just wanted the simple life. A few amendments to the constitution will not improve quality of life for most. If anything lead to further inequality. The type of revolution we need is not a political one. It is a revolution of the individual and a fundamental change in the relationship between products and the consumer.

31 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Sorry about that PSU. I honestly wasn't trying to set you up. :lol:

It's ok I can take it. Was funny actually. And some decent comments eventually emerged after ORH-wxman and a few other rational heads showed up. But it got off to a rocky start and I was about to delete it before he started a more intelligent discourse. I still think the climate there is bad for casual friendly dialogue. Too many random "go f yourself" posts. 

3 minutes ago, Vice-Regent said:

You guys are wild. I just wanted the simple life. A few amendments to the constitution will not improve quality of life for most. If anything lead to further inequality. The type of revolution we need is not a political one. It is a revolution of the individual and a fundamental change in the relationship between products and the consumer.

I agree. You should devote your time to that revolution. It's way too important for you to be wasting your time here. 

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

I agree. You should devote your time to that revolution. It's way too important for you to be wasting your time here. 

Not a waste. I enjoy interacting with the community. Right now I just need more money so that I can counter other lobbyists.

7 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I dont mind the political talk, but others here would rather it not be in banter, and it tends to become divisive, regardless of the intent.

There is a better place for it. Just a suggestion-

http://www.americanpol.com/

7 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Fair enough and I will abide but I never understood why the rules were changed because a few jerks got nasty. People get nasty over lots of things in here anyways and we can't just make everything off limits that upsets people. In weather threads I totally get but banter...plus it's not as easy as just taking it there not everyone here is on there. I disagree but I respect the right of the majority/admins to make the rules. 

7 hours ago, Fozz said:

As long as everyone is civil (which seems to be the case ITT), I have no problem with political talk in the banter thread. We talk about many other non-wx related things here, so I don't agree with politics being off limits (again, so long as everyone is civil).

Have to agree with CAPE here. Though the conversation started somewhat innocently enough it was evolving into a political discussion none the less. And unfortunately polite political discourse is now frowned upon by many from the Right and the Left so it was just a matter of time before others jumped into this friendly conversation to stir the pot. Have lost enough friends and family members over the last 10 years for nothing I have done but for the mere fact I did not think as they do that I would prefer not to see that happen in here as well. Considering politics seems to have infiltrated almost every hour of our waking moments it would be nice to have a safe haven from it here in the weather forums. This is one of the reasons I jump on Viceregent as well as others that continually bring up the hot button political topic Global Warming here instead of the Climate Change thread.

What's the best place to live for snow, severe wx, hurricanes? New Foundland has some pretty awesome Winter storms, borderline rain/snow heavy winds... sometimes hurricanes. SNE is pretty great but not many storms, but they probably take it. I've lived out west and the vegetation in the east is much better. Southeast is kind of barren though. Europe's weather seems like of blah, but I'm not so familiar. Switzerland has good snowstorms. The thunderstorms in the Southwest are pretty awesome. 

3 hours ago, AfewUniversesBelowNormal said:

What's the best place to live for snow, severe wx, hurricanes? New Foundland has some pretty awesome Winter storms, borderline rain/snow heavy winds... sometimes hurricanes. SNE is pretty great but not many storms, but they probably take it. I've lived out west and the vegetation in the east is much better. Southeast is kind of barren though. Europe's weather seems like of blah, but I'm not so familiar. Switzerland has good snowstorms. The thunderstorms in the Southwest are pretty awesome. 

Northern New England is an excellent place for snow. Many places reliably get 80-90"+ most years. A storm that we would call a HECS is pretty normal there, and it usually doesn't melt right away either.

21 minutes ago, Fozz said:

Northern New England is an excellent place for snow. Many places reliably get 80-90"+ most years. A storm that we would call a HECS is pretty normal there, and it usually doesn't melt right away either.

Wife and I are considering the Laurel Highlands in western PA in 4 years or so. In the higher elevations it's very rare they see less then 100 inches and a good year can see upwards of 200+ if not 300 inches of snow. 

3 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Wife and I are considering the Laurel Highlands in western PA in 4 years or so. In the higher elevations it's very rare they see less then 100 inches and a good year can see upwards of 200+ if not 300 inches of snow. 

The highlands from there down to Canaan area are great if you want to see regular snow every winter. Biggest difference between a place like that and say NNE is the snow wont necessarily stay around very long, and of course it will rain more.

1 minute ago, C.A.P.E. said:

The highlands from there down to Canaan area are great if you want to see regular snow every winter. Biggest difference between a place like that and say NNE is the snow wont necessarily stay around very long, and of course it will rain more.

NE is another option we have been considering as well but the only hangup with that is the costs/taxes are much steeper for those that retire. PA is much more forgiving in that regard. But as I have warned my wife, PA is in pretty dire straits financially so I would not be surprised if in the near future they begin going after retirees savings with steep taxes. Will see where we stand 3 years down the road in that regards when we start firming our plans. Money aside, I love the country up in the NE but western Pa has the benefit of having both our families/friends within reasonable drive times.

5 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

Have to agree with CAPE here. Though the conversation started somewhat innocently enough it was evolving into a political discussion none the less. And unfortunately polite political discourse is now frowned upon by many from the Right and the Left so it was just a matter of time before others jumped into this friendly conversation to stir the pot. Have lost enough friends and family members over the last 10 years for nothing I have done but for the mere fact I did not think as they do that I would prefer not to see that happen in here as well. Considering politics seems to have infiltrated almost every hour of our waking moments it would be nice to have a safe haven from it here in the weather forums. This is one of the reasons I jump on Viceregent as well as others that continually bring up the hot button political topic Global Warming here instead of the Climate Change thread.

I took it elsewhere but no one is going to lose me over politics. I have friends and family on both sides. It can lead to debate and arguments but that doesn't have to get nasty or bleed into other things. If people get nasty about something that's different but the problem isn't the topic or the politics it's the behavior. Unless the persons political views are something abhorrent like they are a Nazi or a KKK member then I can let it go once the debate is over. Life's too short. Most people don't want to make things worse. People just disagree on what better is or how to get there. 

I do understand why politics in banter can derail things so I moved it to an off topic thread. Hopefully that's ok since anyone going in there knows what it's about and can leave if people get stupid about it. 

15 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

http://www.americanpol.com/index.php?/topic/1415-constitutional-interpretations-and-taxes-from-amwx/

we can take it there is others want.  I created a thread.  I would love to continue both the constitutional conversation and the tax one from earlier if anyone else does. 

LOL. Looks like that went well. Basically all the political discussion boards I have frequented have degenerated into such a state. One of the reasons i would prefer not seeing political discussions here because eventually that its what we could expect as other players jumped into the fray. Doesn't really make for a healthy atmosphere to say the least.

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

I took it elsewhere but no one is going to lose me over politics. I have friends and family on both sides. It can lead to debate and arguments but that doesn't have to get nasty or bleed into other things. If people get nasty about something that's different but the problem isn't the topic or the politics it's the behavior. Unless the persons political views are something abhorrent like they are a Nazi or a KKK member then I can let it go once the debate is over. Life's too short. Most people don't want to make things worse. People just disagree on what better is or how to get there. 

I do understand why politics in banter can derail things so I moved it to an off topic thread. Hopefully that's ok since anyone going in there knows what it's about and can leave if people get stupid about it. 

Nice to hear. Wish I could say the same about some good long time friends (guess they weren't such good friends after all) from HS that have basically exiled me for daring to have a differing opinion. Not to mention some family members that have screamed at me, lectured me, called me an uncaring A-hole, racist, etc.. etc.. etc... just for not falling in line with their thinking. Unfortunately that is the society we live in today where the sides have been drawn up, compromise is an illusion and no quarter will be given. 

3 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Nice to hear. Wish I could say the same about some good long time friends (guess they weren't such good friends after all) from HS that have basically exiled me for daring to have a differing opinion. Not to mention some family members that have screamed at me, lectured me, called me an uncaring A-hole, racist, etc.. etc.. etc... just for not falling in line with their thinking. Unfortunately that is the society we live in today where the sides have been drawn up, compromise is an illusion and no quarter will be given. 

Based on your experiences, I think it's fair to limit political talk in this subforum, since as you said, it could open up a can of worms. I have political differences with many longtime friends and family members (many are more liberal, some are more conservative), but I try not to be combative or polarizing when it's someone I care about, and usually they'll accept that I don't think like them all the time. But I guess some people out there are less tolerant of different political views, which is a shame, because it's part of what polarizes our society.

America's political structure is designed to make people turn on one another like this. Especially these days. It's nothing more than interactive theater. You're a sucker if you believe what any politician says, or of you subscribe to any political ideology. None of it is real, which is why I find it so ironic and hilarious how we live in a primarily secular society, yet we still get all hot and bothered about make-believe things like borders, citizenship, and whether or not people like me are criminals for smoking a fatty in the comfort and safety of my own home.

25 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Lack of empathy and egocentric. You can understand someone and their motives and empathize without agreeing with them. And usually when you do that it avoids things getting ugly. 

But when people assume anyone that doesn't agree with them must have a nefarious motive or simply don't bother to understand their pov things get nasty. 

1 hour ago, showmethesnow said:

LOL. Looks like that went well. Basically all the political discussion boards I have frequented have degenerated into such a state. One of the reasons i would prefer not seeing political discussions here because eventually that its what we could expect as other players jumped into the fray. Doesn't really make for a healthy atmosphere to say the least.

Probably would be better to stay on this side in OT with this sort of discussion(taxes). It is considered a bore there in general.

I know PSU has posted in PR before so I suggested that as an option for political talk in general rather than bring it to banter. Its at your own risk though. Lots of polished trolls. People got game there. Its not for everyone lol.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived