Newest Member
    SnowHabit
April Banter

George BM

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Would be curious how those to the south did compared to avg. seasonal totals but am to lazy to check on that myself. Wouldn't be surprised if they were above climo as well.

Probably at least average in most cases I would guess.

That table says it all. The brutal reality in numbers. The departures may have been a bit more extreme/exaggerated this winter, with some plain old bad luck for the greater DC area, but thats typical Nina. NS dominates. SS energy is generally weaker and remains separate/stays south. Betwixt and between.

15 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Probably at least average in most cases I would guess.

That table says it all. The brutal reality in numbers. The departures may have been a bit more extreme/exaggerated this winter, combined with some plain old bad luck for the greater DC area, but thats typical Nina. NS dominates. SS energy is generally weaker and remains separate/stays south. Betwixt and between.

There was one winter a few years back where the difference between the mid-Atlantic and the NE was brutally extreme but I don't have the recall that some on here do so I can't remember when. What I do remember was it had snow weenies diving off the cliff in droves. 

eta: Yeah, the snowfall distribution is what you would expect with a Nina. Really wish we would have the blocking throughout the winter instead of at the end. With blocking I think we could have put up some good numbers. 

2 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

There was one winter a few years back where the difference between the mid-Atlantic and the NE was brutally extreme but I don't have the recall that some on here do so I can't remember when. What I do remember was it had snow weenies diving off the cliff in droves. 

Yeah I dont recall either. Generally NE does well, our area is below average to average, and places south of us can do pretty well(relative to their average). This winter had some late developing coastals that eastern areas managed to get in on(complete misses in other years) that allowed the immediate coast to get above climo- Places like DE and SNJ. Basically if not for the early Jan storm, those places would be very close to/below their snowfall average rather than above. By the same token, if that storm had evolved just a bit differently, the metro areas would likely be at climo or above. As we know, in the MA one storm can make or break a season.

50 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

eta: Yeah, the snowfall distribution is what you would expect with a Nina. Really wish we would have the blocking throughout the winter instead of at the end. With blocking I think we could have put up some good numbers. 

It was 2014-15, and that was an infuriating winter especially before that Valentine’s Day snow squall.

The northerners were getting multiple KU storms in a row literally every single time while we got next to nothing, not to mention several of those storms looked like they’d give us snow only to trend north and give it all to New England instead (and sometimes NYC). Oh, and another thing, a lot of bitter cold followed by rain, followed by more cold, and so on.

But it eventually got better. Valentine’s was the beginning and then we got two good storms in late Feb and early March. Pretty good winter in the end for most.

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

That chart shows the total catastrophe we suffered through, but I moved on long ago. It’s time for warmth, sun, and the NBA playoffs. Soon, summer and tropical season will be here. Time seems to be speeding up for me every single day.

It only gets faster. Wait until you hit the point where more of your life is behind you than ahead. You are on the autobahn of life.

28 minutes ago, Fozz said:

Ideally I favor an annual land value tax for all landowners.

Well, we already pay annual taxes on the value; it's called real estate taxes.  And, how would that somehow curb AGW?  And, please make an argument as to the fairness of such another tax that would solely target those living in the rural environments whose population density is LEAST responsible for the choking air pollution and CO2 emissions?

Just now, EastCoast NPZ said:

Well, we already pay annual taxes on the value; it's called real estate taxes.  And, how would that somehow curb AGW?  And, please make an argument as to the fairness of such another tax that would solely target those living in the rural environments whose population density is LEAST responsible for the choking air pollution and CO2 emissions?

I agree. I pay some of the highest property taxes in MD, in one of the most rural counties.

The price of country livin and the smells of liquified cow shiit.

So Fozz- shut up dude. lol.

If my words have spurred debate then I can sleep happily at night. The ultimate solution to AGW from a technological perspective are mega-cities with 100% public transportation. Of course we can collectively choose to be responsible and live rural with minimal impacts instead of being forced into urban cities by the hand of government.

Rural living opens up more possibilities for a symbiotic relationship with nature and a greater space for self-sufficiency.

8 minutes ago, Vice-Regent said:

Too real man. Most millennial do not own a house and a sizable portion only use public transit. Land ownership is super low.

And therein lies a problem.  

15 minutes ago, Vice-Regent said:

If my words have spurred debate then I can sleep happily at night. The ultimate solution to AGW from a technological perspective are mega-cities with 100% public transportation. Of course we can collectively choose to be responsible and live rural with minimal impacts instead of being forced into urban cities by the hand of government.

Rural living opens up more possibilities for a symbiotic relationship with nature and a greater space for self-sufficiency.

Wow.  Even more mega-cities where people never see a night-time sky, never have to rely on themselves for anything, can see only concrete and other people - packed elbow-to-elbow, and can all think alike.  Sounds awesome.  I mean just look how great these mega-cities are now.

33 minutes ago, Vice-Regent said:

Too real man. Most millennial do not own a house and a sizable portion only use public transit. Land ownership is super low.

Well what I meant was the majority of "homeowners" pay a mortgage. So technically they dont own the house. Stop paying the property taxes and you will see you aren't really a land owner either. Same with a car- most have car payments, although mine feels like a second mortgage.

2 hours ago, losetoa6 said:
  On 4/7/2018 at 8:40 AM, losetoa6 said:

Here too. Temp keeps dropping ...feels like winter . My first baseball scrimmage( over 30)is tomorrow morning at 8am . Suppose to be 25 F ..probably won't go.

I hung up the spikes 9 years and never looked backed. You must love the game.

I do love the game. Long story short after college and brief independent minor league ball I was forced to hang pitching up because of  a nagging elbow problem- needed Tommy John surgery but never got it . About 2 years ago a college teammate called me to see if I would play in a wooden bat league . It had been 18 years since I picked up a baseball ( plenty of softball) though . I got my self into shape and played . Realized it was a mistake I didn't choose to come back sooner . Baseball is in my blood for sure. Hey ...we a could use another player ..interested ?

That's great that you can still get out there. I do miss it but I'm in no shape to return. I'm 45 now but it sounds like were pretty close in age. I was pretty decent player. Played a year in college at Western Maryland before it was McDaniel then played softball 3-4 days a week and weekend tournaments until I was 36. Too many nagging injuries and gaining weight did me in. Just started working out again hoping to lose a few pounds.

On this property tax thing...  Anyone with anything here in the Bal/Was metro area pays for it, no matter what they own (or the bank owns).  That said, on a percentage basis it's interesting to note the folks in my small home town of 6000 in west central Ohio pay more than I do living in FFCO (again, on a percentage basis).  If I had the same value of home back in Ohio I have here, I'd pay about 30-40% more in property tax.  Of course the houses in my home town are of nowhere near the value of around here for a comparable dwelling. 

What's really interest is to look at the tax scale some of our area, especially on the homes on the upper end of the scale in one NVA county (and I assume what's outlined in the following sentences may be a wide-spread practice).  There was a report done recently about the cut many higher end homeowners get in that county.  Talking about homes in the $3-5M range and up (and that's not me!).  On a percentage basis there's a ton of homeowners who've challenged their tax assessment and in turn received a nice hefty reduction.  It's typically done by homeowners just after they make a purchase and is one of those things nobody likes to talk about, but has gone on for a long time. 

Here's how it works...  About the only time the tax assessors really look at a property is in conjunction with the sale and/or if you pull a permit for an improvement.  So the new homeowners wait for their first assessment after buying a house.  Then they call the county and challenge the assessment pointing out all the issues with the home etc.  The county says, "we don't want to make waves with Harry Homeowner because he owns a $5M house and must know powerful people" so they knock some off the assessment.  There's a lot of homes in that county in the upper range that pay equal or less taxes than other homes of a much lesser value because of this racket.  (examples were given in the report).

Another thing that gets a gold star for incompetence is the way they go about doing assessments.  Case in point.  We put up a second garage a few years ago.  FFCO tried to assess the shop on the upper floor as full up living space.  Living space, garage space, and a shop are all assesses at a different value.  And the difference between living and shop space is substantial (although I don't know what the % difference is). 

After the project was completed and we'd passed the final inspection FFCO called with our new assessment and some questions.  The new assessment seemed way too high for a garage and small shop.  I asked them if they actually looked inside when they drove by?  No, they didn't...  So I invited the assessor back out for a tour.  She walked in and immediately said "this is a shop".  duh!  I had tried to explain that on the phone.  But just because the shop does not look like a shop from the street, she was reluctant to take my word for it. (we didn't want a shop that looks like a shop and create an eyesore for our own property and lower everyone else's value too)  She ended up apologizing and making the appropriate changes which dramatically changed our assessment and taxes.

The experience drove home the point of not accepting the status quo.  Challenge things that most in mainstream society assume are set in stone and beyond reproach.  If I hadn't, we'd be paying a couple thousand more a year for living space we don't actually have. 

Forgive the long diatribe, but hope this is of use to someone...

15 minutes ago, RDM said:

On this property tax thing...  Anyone with anything here in the Bal/Was metro area pays for it, no matter what they own (or the bank owns).  That said, on a percentage basis it's interesting to note the folks in my small home town of 6000 in west central Ohio pay more than I do living in FFCO (again, on a percentage basis).  If I had the same value of home back in Ohio I have here, I'd pay about 30-40% more in property tax.  Of course the houses in my home town are of nowhere near the value of around here for a comparable dwelling. 

What's really interest is to look at the tax scale some of our area, especially on the homes on the upper end of the scale in one NVA county (and I assume what's outlined in the following sentences may be a wide-spread practice).  There was a report done recently about the cut many higher end homeowners get in that county.  Talking about homes in the $3-5M range and up (and that's not me!).  On a percentage basis there's a ton of homeowners who've challenged their tax assessment and in turn received a nice hefty reduction.  It's typically done by homeowners just after they make a purchase and is one of those things nobody likes to talk about, but has gone on for a long time. 

Here's how it works...  About the only time the tax assessors really look at a property is in conjunction with the sale and/or if you pull a permit for an improvement.  So the new homeowners wait for their first assessment after buying a house.  Then they call the county and challenge the assessment pointing out all the issues with the home etc.  The county says, "we don't want to make waves with Harry Homeowner because he owns a $5M house and must know powerful people" so they knock some off the assessment.  There's a lot of homes in that county in the upper range that pay equal or less taxes than other homes of a much lesser value because of this racket.  (examples were given in the report).

Another thing that gets a gold star for incompetence is the way they go about doing assessments.  Case in point.  We put up a second garage a few years ago.  FFCO tried to assess the shop on the upper floor as full up living space.  Living space, garage space, and a shop are all assesses at a different value.  And the difference between living and shop space is substantial (although I don't know what the % difference is). 

After the project was completed and we'd passed the final inspection FFCO called with our new assessment and some questions.  The new assessment seemed way too high for a garage and small shop.  I asked them if they actually looked inside when they drove by?  No, they didn't...  So I invited the assessor back out for a tour.  She walked in and immediately said "this is a shop".  duh!  I had tried to explain that on the phone.  But just because the shop does not look like a shop from the street, she was reluctant to take my word for it. (we didn't want a shop that looks like a shop and create an eyesore for our own property and lower everyone else's value too)  She ended up apologizing and making the appropriate changes which dramatically changed our assessment and taxes.

The experience drove home the point of not accepting the status quo.  Challenge things that most in mainstream society assume are set in stone and beyond reproach.  If I hadn't, we'd be paying a couple thousand more a year for living space we don't actually have. 

Forgive the long diatribe, but hope this is of use to someone...

I applied for a Homestead credit about 5 years ago, which I was unaware of for years. It seemed like the county was sticking it to new residents- I built my house in 2004 and I was immediately paying higher property taxes than my dad and others I know with comparable homes and assessments, and it kept increasing. It has leveled off since the credit kicked in..

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived