Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April Banter

George BM

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

The paper holds their folded faces to the floor and everyday the paperboy brings more

Great song.

The lunatic is on the grass. 
The lunatic is on the grass. 
Remembering games and daisy chains and laughs. 
Got to keep the loonies on the path. 

The lunatic is in the hall. 
The lunatics are in my hall. 
The paper holds their folded faces to the floor 
And every day the paper boy brings more. 

And if the dam breaks open many years too soon 
And if there is no room upon the hill 
And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too 
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon. 

The lunatic is in my head. 
The lunatic is in my head 
You raise the blade, you make the change 
You re-arrange me 'til I'm sane. 
You lock the door 
And throw away the key 
There's someone in my head but it's not me. 

And if the cloud bursts, thunder in your ear 
You shout and no one seems to hear. 
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes 
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon. 

"I can't think of anything to say except... 
I think it's marvelous! HaHaHa!" 

Just wanted to confirm I am not trolling in the regular (intentional) sense but I understand why one would reach that conclusion. Activism over a public policy aspect that can't be fixed on any timescale that people care about would seem like trolling. I'm just not sure if anyone here has reached that conclusion. Therein resides the problem. (For you and your family)

Not to rain on the parade but you should trust my gut and mind (I use both) on climate if you want to have a brighter future in a hotter world. We would be okay if CO2 stopped increasing at 1.5-2ppm a year by 2025 (because civi was in a degrowth phase - not because of Paris Accord) but we have so much nuclear sludge around along coastlines. The long-term prognosis is not good at all. Unless...

Sea level rise is the actual coup de grace of civilization. You can cool the atmosphere with aerosols but you can't stop the underwater melting of glaciers. The talk of carbon sequestration to meet emissions targets is absolutely devastating for public policy. The Paris Climate Agreement has convinced the general public that this issue is resolved. Maybe that was the whole point? (Kyoto protocol part 2)

Nature giveth and taketh away. For the sake of professionalism and etiquette this will be the last post about the climate predicament. I get burned out if there is a negative emotional reaction to this information. (For me it gives hope of a different kind of future IF action is taken).

I can't change your mind if you want to settle for less. I mean comon dudes - it's 2018 and with efficient energy systems there is almost zero human labor needed (outside of what people enjoy laboring in) which means job-free lifestyles and true human development.

42 minutes ago, Vice-Regent said:

Just wanted to confirm I am not trolling in the regular (intentional) sense but I understand why one would reach that conclusion. Activism over a public policy aspect that can't be fixed on any timescale that people care about would seem like trolling. I'm just not sure if anyone here has reached that conclusion. Therein resides the problem. (For you and your family)

Not to rain on the parade but you should trust my gut and mind (I use both) on climate if you want to have a brighter future in a hotter world. We would be okay if CO2 stopped increasing at 1.5-2ppm a year by 2025 (because civi was in a degrowth phase - not because of Paris Accord) but we have so much nuclear sludge around along coastlines. The long-term prognosis is not good at all. Unless...

Sea level rise is the actual coup de grace of civilization. You can cool the atmosphere with aerosols but you can't stop the underwater melting of glaciers. The talk of carbon sequestration to meet emissions targets is absolutely devastating for public policy. The Paris Climate Agreement has convinced the general public that this issue is resolved. Maybe that was the whole point? (Kyoto protocol part 2)

Nature giveth and taketh away. For the sake of professionalism and etiquette this will be the last post about the climate predicament. I get burned out if there is a negative emotional reaction to this information. (For me it gives hope of a different kind of future IF action is taken).

I can't change your mind if you want to settle for less. I mean comon dudes - it's 2018 and with efficient energy systems there is almost zero human labor needed (outside of what people enjoy laboring in) which means job-free lifestyles and true human development.

Most of us are aware of the climate problem, and I would venture to say very few people here are deniers. And it's fine to feel strongly about the issue. But there's a time and place to talk about it. Preaching about AGW constantly in a weather forum (outside of the climate subsection) is like being a vegan who calls anyone who eats meat an "animal murderer" and constantly annoys people with sob stories about animal cruelty. Sure, animal cruelty is a serious problem itself, but it is socially obnoxious to shove the issue down people's throats all the time. Same goes for climate change. I can name many other examples of issues that will affect society and the world for a long time to come, but you've got to know when it's right to speak passionately about it.

And like some others said, if you really do want to make a positive difference for the environment, which itself is an admirable goal, there are so many better ways to do it than to abrasively preach about it on a message board.

@Vice-Regent

the problem isn't your goal it's your methodology. I'm actually on the same side (way less extreme about it though) but what your doing has no solvency and is just annoying. What do you think you can accomplish this way?  Most don't even bother to read your posts anymore. And even if they do you offer no concrete actionable solutions. Stop driving cars isn't an action plan. That kind of thing requires societal and policy changes. I've been involved in such changes regarding education policy.  I didn't get things done by screaming on a chat forum. What your doing isn't making any change. If you really care about this and your goal is to actually effect change then get in the real fight. Lobby. Join political action groups. Protest policy you disagree with. Be annoying to the right people not some weather chat group. You're wasting your time here and annoying people who might even be on your side. 

4 hours ago, Vice-Regent said:

See the source image

5 hours ago, Cobalt said:

5ac99cae68ff0_f2a43a597f41e24594474405537546e11.png.39db3ad1d711a2ef3875eec5f29af747.png

From Cranky

This is where PSU will pop in and tell all of us in the beltways “what did you expect, all of those cities are better for snow than where you live even Raliegh and you chose to live in a snow hellscape so what did you expect just be happy anything fell”...

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived