Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April Banter

George BM

13 minutes ago, Interstate said:

So you are saying I planted the grass seed to early. 

Nah, good time to lay the seed is before a late season snow. Helps to settle the seed into the top soil a little instead of having it sit on top. Helps with germination with a little soil around the seed as it can keep moisture in better then if it were exposed to the air. In fact maybe I will throw some seed down myself in the next day or two.

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Interstate said:

So you are saying I planted the grass seed to early. 

The seed will be fine, and snow is good for it.  In my turf class, my instructor said that if you have to plant seed in the spring, do it early so that it gets saturated and makes good soil contact.  It'll germinate when it's time.

Regardless, I still don't believe it's going to snow.

34 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Nah, good time to lay the seed is before a late season snow. Helps to settle the seed into the top soil a little instead of having it sit on top. Helps with germination with a little soil around the seed as it can keep moisture in better then if it were exposed to the air. In fact maybe I will throw some seed down myself in the next day or two.

I'd love to lay some extra seed down now since my fall seeding was a complete disaster, but I think we'll be getting crabgrass pre-emergent pretty soon, which would likely negate any "good" grass seed that goes down.

37 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

How come I didn't see this?!?  I must be snow blind!

@mattie g

What happened in the fall?

35 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

How come I didn't see this?!?  I must be snow blind!

@mattie g

What happened in the fall?

I blame most of it on my dog, but in reality it was pretty much my fault for just tossing the seed on top of the bare spots and not adding and soil on top and/or scraping a bit into the earth to help the seed get established. I did put straw on top to keep it more moist and to hold it in place, but it could only do so much.

I say I blame my dog because that b*stard scrapes and scratches the ground so much that he tears up any grass that not well established. He's like a a wolverine digging a den - just rips the lawn to shreds! I love him to death, but goddamn does he frustrate me with his destroying the yard!

1 minute ago, mattie g said:

Oh... @nw baltimore wx, I got Sunshine Superman in the keg last night. Lost about a half gallon of beer to the dry hops. :yikes:

I read to squeeze the heck out of the hops.  It seemed crazy to me, but my 5 gallon batch disappeared in two weeks while the oyster stout is still half full, so it must have been fine!

I'm brewing another batch this weekend but I don't have fresh cascade so I'll have to do some substituting.  What do you like to pair with citra?

1 hour ago, Philadelphia Snow said:

If the euro verified, would the winter grade for any you guys increase? Spring Grade? Lol

Probably up to a B+ or A-. I'd have basically the same total as 2014-15 if it played out that way. It would be an astonishing, incredible storm in all kinds of ways with epic rates if the Euro came even close to verifying. 

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

I blame most of it on my dog, but in reality it was pretty much my fault for just tossing the seed on top of the bare spots and not adding and soil on top and/or scraping a bit into the earth to help the seed get established. I did put straw on top to keep it more moist and to hold it in place, but it could only do so much.

I say I blame my dog because that b*stard scrapes and scratches the ground so much that he tears up any grass that not well established. He's like a a wolverine digging a den - just rips the lawn to shreds! I love him to death, but goddamn does he frustrate me with his destroying the yard!

My two black labs do a number on my yard as well after pottying. Not to mention that they both love to dig for locusts, grubs or anything else that is edible in the ground. Pretty much have given up on having a decent yard at this point.

1 hour ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I read to squeeze the heck out of the hops.  It seemed crazy to me, but my 5 gallon batch disappeared in two weeks while the oyster stout is still half full, so it must have been fine!

I'm brewing another batch this weekend but I don't have fresh cascade so I'll have to do some substituting.  What do you like to pair with citra?

I'm leery of squeezing hops, given the chance of oxidation that brings. I probably could have done a better job of racking the beer, so it's partially my fault, but I suppose when you add 10oz of dry hops, you're bound to lose some volume.

That's crazy that your NE IPA is gone already! I'm guessing you've had folks over to help drink it...or else you need to slow down yer drinkin'. :lol:

In my opinion, Citra and Mosaic is a classic combo...or Citra and Galaxy. But you could probably do Citra in the whirlpool with Citra and Simcoe as dry hop. Citra and Amarillo or El Dorado would work, too. Or you could go with more than one of those to give you a depth of flavor and aroma. The great thing is you almost *can't* go wrong with these new juicy hops!

10 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

My two black labs do a number on my yard as well after pottying. Not to mention that they both love to dig for locusts, grubs or anything else that is edible in the ground. Pretty much have given up on having a decent yard at this point.

It's so frustrating, isn't it? My boy will also run around and bark, and then stand at attention and growl a bit. And then all of a sudden just start scraping again! This is usually at night, so I think it's a warning to other animals to stay away - he's standing his ground and marking his territory. I like it...but not when it ruins my lawn!

1 minute ago, North Balti Zen said:

I want to be the first to tell you all that there is a LOT that can go wrong with this. I am just saying, don't count on accumulating snow on April 7. Sorry to be the one to bring bad news...

Agree. The issues really should be obvious to everyone here though. If it doesn't work out, its hard to see how anyone would be upset that it didn't. Except maybe Ji lol.

2 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Agree. The issues really should be obvious to everyone here though. If it doesn't work out, its hard to see how anyone would be upset that it didn't. Except maybe Ji lol.

It's a frickin' miracle/nightmare depending on your perspective that this is even a possible thing for April 7. If it goes away, well, it's April 7. The concern trolling is beyond weird from some. Ah well, my bad and I will let it go.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived