Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April Discobs Thread

George BM

55 minutes ago, Fozz said:

This is more or less what a normal April is like. Swinging from 45 and cloudy to 70 or 80+ isn’t unusual. The next week from tomorrow on should be pretty seasonable.

Going from borderline record highs at the airports and 90 IMBY, to a high of 45 on the afternoon of April 17th IMBY (while the northern tier gets snow showers) just three days later is not your typical April variance. As Cobalt pointed out earlier, the temperature swings this year have been kind of extreme.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

THIS is why the 'I love spring with it's 60's/70's' is so misleading, because averages are just that-averages. You are correct Fozz, this week is exactly what April is, windy warm, cold, warm, windy cold...sun, rain, flurries, sun. The sunny and 60-70 that many crave generally are the 'oddball' days in between systems.

Yeah, it seems our best bet for that temperate weather comes in the fall.  One of the many reasons I live for that season.  October usually doesn't disappoint around here.

Freeze Warning just got expanded towards I-95.

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
912 PM EDT Tue Apr 17 2018

MDZ011-504-506-VAZ038-050-052-053-055-056-180915-
/O.EXA.KLWX.FZ.W.0002.180418T0400Z-180418T1300Z/
Southern Baltimore-Central and Southeast Montgomery-
Central and Southeast Howard-Greene-Orange-
Prince William/Manassas/Manassas Park-Fairfax-Stafford-
Spotsylvania-
Including the cities of Baltimore, Bethesda, Rockville,
Gaithersburg, Silver Spring, Columbia, Ellicott City,
Stanardsville, Orange, Gordonsville, Dale City, Manassas,
Woodbridge, Lake Ridge, Montclair, Reston, Herndon, Annandale,
Centreville, Chantilly, McLean, Franconia, Falmouth,
and Fredericksburg
912 PM EDT Tue Apr 17 2018

...FREEZE WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 AM EDT WEDNESDAY...

The National Weather Service in Baltimore MD/Washington has
issued a Freeze Warning, which is in effect until 9 AM EDT
Wednesday.

* TEMPERATURES...In the upper 20s to lower 30s. The coldest
  temperatures will be in rural areas.

* IMPACTS...Freezing temperatures may damage or kill sensitive
  vegetation. Take steps now to protect tender plants from the
  cold.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Freeze Warning means sub-freezing temperatures are imminent or
highly likely. These conditions will kill crops and other
sensitive vegetation.

&&

$$

At 5 am:

DCA 37

BWI 34

IAD 32

The local icebox (Fort Meade) is down to 30.

Most of Central VA (north of CHO-RIC) has hit freezing.

The Shenandoah Valley is flirting with damaging the apple blossoms.

51 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

It has been an odd month. It feels like more of a New England April than what I’m used to here. Of course, this is a traditional battleground month, but I still don’t have the feeling that we’re breaking toward spring as we close it out. 

I love heat, but I don’t think any of us would prefer another few weeks solidly BN and overcast followed by a flip to drought and torch in May.

Interesting pattern we’ve had.

We've had a lot of warm Aprils lately, including last year, so a near normal April probably feels chilly to many. I never really thought of it as a reliable month for truly warm, t-shirt weather (though it often comes and goes), but yesterday was a bit too chilly and dreary even for me. At least today is sunny and mild, and the flowers are still in full bloom around here. A few degrees warmer would be ideal for me, but today isn’t too bad.

April looks good on paper with avg highs rising through the 60s, but those averages come from wild swings.  It's hard to believe that we're running only about a degree below normal for the month, but that was skewed by the couple of hot days.

Minneapolis is having a ridiculous April -- they have been below average every single day, and are running an incredible -16.1 departure.  They've also had 26 inches of snow.

19 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

It has been an odd month. It feels like more of a New England April than what I’m used to here. Of course, this is a traditional battleground month, but I still don’t have the feeling that we’re breaking toward spring as we close it out. 

I love heat, but I don’t think any of us would prefer another few weeks solidly BN and overcast followed by a flip to drought and torch in May.

Interesting pattern we’ve had.

It’s a weird pattern the last few months- for the most part, we stay cold, but the rare, brief times it flips to warm we immediately go to record territory. Reminds me of December 2013 in that regard.

I forgot last April was the 2nd hottest at BWI. Mean reversion and all that. :-(

Who wants to bet this weekend will find a way to suck? Based on recent forecast vs. reality I’m going with a high of 50 with 20-25 mph wind gusts. And mostly cloudy.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived