Newest Member
    SnowHabit
April Discobs Thread

George BM

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

If I weren’t so young and ambitious, I’d be out there on a plot of land with no tv, a rocking chair, books, and cowboy hat. No doubt about it.

What a wonderful 'visual' :)

Yep, something along those lines. But I'd have to have a TV to watch the NHL during the season and playoffs lol.

7 minutes ago, 87storms said:

today is one of those chilly days i don't mind.  the last few days were sunny, warm, and productive, so today gets a pass.  might feel refreshing, though by tomorrow i'll be ready for a return to milder conditions.  

That's how I feel too. One day of 45 and cloudy won't bother me especially after the last two days, but otherwise 65 and sunny would be ideal.

4 hours ago, RDM said:

Cobalt - if you are looking for vertical, go to the Alps.  Several places there you can ski more than 2x the max vertical of anyplace in N. America.  Jackson Hole or Whistler-Backcomb vie for the most vertical in N. America at just over 4000 feet.  In Zermatt, you can ski over 8500' of vertical in one run.  Go to the top, ski to town, and repeat and that's an entire day and a hard day at that.  And....  you can ski anywhere you want.  None of this "you ski off-piste and we'll punch your ticket and/or prosecute you" BS like in the US.  I used to be an avid back-country tele-mark skier and anyone who really enjoys vertical needs to experience the Alps. 

Back on topic - am in Williamsburg today.  What a big difference 24 hours and a little latitude will make.  Mid-80's here yesterday and an ideal evening for outdoor dining.  60's today and the backdoor.  Down here the pollen yesterday was unreal.  In 3 hours our freshly washed car looked like Earl Shibe had given it his special paint job...  

I'm pretty sure you can basically ski where you want at A Basin, especially the 'East Wall' without them throwing a conniption fit like most places. Another that comes to mind is Jay Peak up in VT, course you get 'lost' and have to be helped out, THEN it becomes a different matter......

11 minutes ago, Fozz said:

That's how I feel too. One day of 45 and cloudy won't bother me especially after the last two days, but otherwise 65 and sunny would be ideal.

A 'perfect' spring day is 33/34 low and 58-60 high with partly cloudy skies and a little breeze to stir the air a bit. Had two of those past week (M in Roanoke and T here), walked a combined 30 miles on those two days.

A tornado watch just went up from Roanoke south into the Carolina's........

49 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

A 'perfect' spring day is 33/34 low and 58-60 high with partly cloudy skies and a little breeze to stir the air a bit. Had two of those past week (M in Roanoke and T here), walked a combined 30 miles on those two days.

A tornado watch just went up from Roanoke south into the Carolina's........

Looks like we'll be getting a couple of days like that this coming week. Looking forward to it.

5 hours ago, RDM said:

Cobalt - if you are looking for vertical, go to the Alps.  Several places there you can ski more than 2x the max vertical of anyplace in N. America.  Jackson Hole or Whistler-Backcomb vie for the most vertical in N. America at just over 4000 feet.  In Zermatt, you can ski over 8500' of vertical in one run.  Go to the top, ski to town, and repeat and that's an entire day and a hard day at that.  And....  you can ski anywhere you want.  None of this "you ski off-piste and we'll punch your ticket and/or prosecute you" BS like in the US.  I used to be an avid back-country tele-mark skier and anyone who really enjoys vertical needs to experience the Alps. 

Back on topic - am in Williamsburg today.  What a big difference 24 hours and a little latitude will make.  Mid-80's here yesterday and an ideal evening for outdoor dining.  60's today and the backdoor.  Down here the pollen yesterday was unreal.  In 3 hours our freshly washed car looked like Earl Shibe had given it his special paint job...  

My dad has skiied in the Alps several times, and he's said it's unlike anything else in N. America. He wants to take me to Chamonix when I'm experienced enough, and from what I've seen on videos and such, the Alps are pretty sweet.

16 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Down to 58F.  That's a 20F drop during the max-heating part of the day.  Impressive....and welcomed.

Front hasn't cleared by much though, areas just S of Front Royal still in the upper 70s, and 80F in Woodstock.

Impressive gradient.

Its been a totally different day here. 84 under full sun yesterday, and upper 40s, windy with drizzle today.

6 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Southern area of our sub forum but a storm with a history of producing tornadoes is moving into Danville with a decent couplet.

43ecacf7f47f0bade278ef6c598a4bb3.jpg

Yep, watching local news, they broke into the hockey game. Tornado warning for that storm. I am getting pounded with second storm in 2 hours, had a 51 mph gust about 20 minutes ago. Tight rotation to the NW of Danville, now 70 mph to radar and 80 away on velocity. Estimating 1.5 inches in the gauge since it has topped CoCoRaHS inner tube.

What a pleasant surprise! 46 delightful degrees along with a cooling refreshing drizzle and a nice 15 mph NE wind! I was able to enjoy a nice refreshing sleep all day! 84 degrees in that house last night was outright HELLISH!

The backdoor cold front DID hit us, after all!!!

This calls for an EPIC jebwalk!

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived