• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April Discobs Thread

George BM

I am really envying Boston right about now. They have cool refreshing weather, no trouble sleeping, with a WSW to boot.

I, on the other hand, will be forced to wait until Tuesday night for any relief whatsoever.

The Backdoor Front delayed, is the Backdoor Front DENIED, in our case. We will never see it in DC. It will have a tough time trying to battle its way to NE Baltimore before washing out in one of the worst heat outbreaks in April in recent history. We will be forced to wait til early Wednesday morning for any relief. The heat is far more powerful than any cool air in Canada or in the northern US. Global Warming is re-asserting itself and it will NOT BE DENIED!

This is going to be one horrid, TORRID Summer. We are already holding rehearsals and we are already set for Broadway.

In the meantime, I am on my 2nd sleepless night. The hallucinations will start around noon Sunday, I am told lol. Sleeplessness is the WORST and I am living it. I am living a waking nightmare in this torrid climate. Its HOT out there tonight and the house is 84 degrees with what feels like 60s dewpoints. I'm fresh out of options and am getting progressively more and more desperate.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, hstorm said:

FWIW, the front cleared Center City Philadelphia ~30 minutes ago. Already down 11 degrees and dropping fast on a stiff E/NE breeze. It’s coming for you DC!

I wish. There's a reason why Washington DC is a BOSS in heat outbreaks. We even school the Southwest at times, because of our horrible humidity.

No backdoor relief for us. We have to wait until the conventional cold front smashes into us from the west.

Enjoy your wonderful cool air!

14 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

The NAM is going to either nail this or go down with the ship.  Holds fast at 18z - brings the backdoor in by sunrise and lands almost all of us in the murk, down into the mid-40s by the evening.

The Euro backdoors BWI late morning and DCA around 4pm.  Not nearly as chilly.

All hail King NAM.

10 hours ago, Cobalt said:

This all the way. Highest vertical drop I could find by searching is 900 feet at Mount Bohemia in Michigan. I know that several ski resorts in the Midwest are also ungroomed too, which isn't the nicest for beginners. Personally, my family has rarely chosen to ski in the east, and so I learned to ski in Colorado/Utah on our yearly ski trips. A great place to move for tons of easy snow would probably be near JonJon. What other areas can say they got a Crippling/Top 10 (?) snowstorm from a Hurricane?

Cobalt - if you are looking for vertical, go to the Alps.  Several places there you can ski more than 2x the max vertical of anyplace in N. America.  Jackson Hole or Whistler-Backcomb vie for the most vertical in N. America at just over 4000 feet.  In Zermatt, you can ski over 8500' of vertical in one run.  Go to the top, ski to town, and repeat and that's an entire day and a hard day at that.  And....  you can ski anywhere you want.  None of this "you ski off-piste and we'll punch your ticket and/or prosecute you" BS like in the US.  I used to be an avid back-country tele-mark skier and anyone who really enjoys vertical needs to experience the Alps. 

Back on topic - am in Williamsburg today.  What a big difference 24 hours and a little latitude will make.  Mid-80's here yesterday and an ideal evening for outdoor dining.  60's today and the backdoor.  Down here the pollen yesterday was unreal.  In 3 hours our freshly washed car looked like Earl Shibe had given it his special paint job...  

31 minutes ago, Stormpc said:

Up to 70.5 here in Prince William va. I'm wondering if the front will make it through this far. Nam says yes but it doesn't seem to be moving as briskly this morning the last hour or two.

Getting cloudy to my NE...wondering how far SW it makes it.  I think we should get it but these situations are delicate.  

45 minutes ago, Stormpc said:

Up to 70.5 here in Prince William va. I'm wondering if the front will make it through this far. Nam says yes but it doesn't seem to be moving as briskly this morning the last hour or two.

Yeah its going to stall at some point, then move back north later tonight. Temps will be on the rise towards morning.

Interestingly, the mention of severe weather is in the forecast for here late tonight and tomorrow. I am guessing its limited to the potential for some damaging winds to mix down.

5 minutes ago, Stormpc said:

Looks like the front is draped from Northwest to Southeast in a line from Poolesville through Sterling, Annandale and just south of Fort Washington.

Needs just a little more push to make it SW to here.  I think it will.  But to CHO?  Doubt it.  

15 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Needs just a little more push to make it SW to here.  I think it will.  But to CHO?  Doubt it.  

I think you are right. It's still advancing. Right now just south of Leesburg through Centerville and Lorton. Entering Prince William. Was just outside in the back yard. Almost 75 already.

2 minutes ago, Stormpc said:

I think you are right. It's still advancing. Right now just south of Leesburg through Centerville and Lorton. Entering Prince William. Was just outside in the back yard. Almost 75 already.

It’ll make it I’m in Gainesville right now getting some stuff at Lowe’s and it feels cooler and it’s darker and getting cooler

It's funny how the front is shaping up. True backdoor.  It's not expanding as far west as quickly as it is south from the East. Eastern Fairfax county is a lot colder than Western Fairfax County. Finally making way into Woodbridge on the north side of town.

1 minute ago, Stormpc said:

It's funny how the front is shaping up. True backdoor.  It's not expanding as far west as quickly as it is south from the East. Eastern Fairfax county is a lot colder than Western Fairfax County. Finally making way into Woodbridge on the north side of town.

Like MN said, the nam is doing pretty well.

14 minutes ago, Stormpc said:

I don’t know how close the front is but the winds switched to the east...not close enough to the bay for huge cool down but it is cooling down.  Must just to my east.  

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived