Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April Discobs Thread

George BM

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Lol at the complaining over warmth in spring from the same crew that high fives and trolled every cold model run and cold day as spring was gutted to start. Went for a 20 mile bike ride at the C & O trail and it was awesome. For those mad we jumped straight to 80s, well, that’s what happens when we waste the first four weeks of spring with crap cold weather and the days we should have had in the 60s get missed.

Tomorrow :)

nam3km_T2m_neus_24.thumb.png.cd2b0032fb1c6b03ee89239eb0a86a7a.png

Monday :)

nam3km_T2m_neus_48.thumb.png.8b1f2182d43c65cbed4ad0ca67edd06b.png

Tuesday :)

namconus_T2m_neus_49.thumb.png.dc1a064f0bb53b5736d918dce0302715.png

Enjoy your warm temperatures while they last!

22 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Yes, it looks cold. Congrats? I am not sure what you and others have against spring, but ok? All I know is when it goes from that back up to 85 skipping the 60s and 70s again, you and others will complain about that too...

11 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

No problem. Obviously that's pretty chilly, but we've seen the past few days have higher than forecast temps, so we know how that will go..

I don’t really hate warm weather.  Just want to ease into it.  Love the cold but that’s not reality around here.  Pretty sure most everyone loved today and that’s fine. 

2 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Yes, it looks cold. Congrats? I am not sure what you and others have against spring, but ok? All I know is when it goes from that back up to 85 skipping the 60s and 70s again, you and others will complain about that too...

Not if it’s June.  We get plenty of warmth.  Couple cold days won’t change that. 

Just now, BristowWx said:

I don’t really hate warm weather.  Just want to ease into it.  Love the cold but that’s not reality around here.  Pretty sure most everyone loved today and that’s fine. 

I fully agree with you. In reality we're this suptropical area that only has a sliver of winter and 70s+ for 8 months of the year (and most of the time 70s intrude our winters as well). Today was okay I guess, but my vision of a good weather day outside of winter is nearing 70, clouds, and a slight breeze. 

18 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

I fully agree with you. In reality we're this suptropical area that only has a sliver of winter and 70s+ for 8 months of the year (and most of the time 70s intrude our winters as well). Today was okay I guess, but my vision of a good weather day outside of winter is nearing 70, clouds, and a slight breeze. 

Subtropical.  That just sounds awful.  How did I get here?  I don’t know.  Barely subtropical so we got that. Ha

2 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Subtropical.  That just sounds awful.  How did I get here?  I don’t know.  Barely subtropical so we got that. Ha

It is an awful thing. It's even worse when you consider that DCA's only has an average low of 32 degrees and lower for 75 days, vs a low of 60 or higher for 130 days. 

Really makes you think. Perhaps it is a good idea for me to go North for college. Vermont maybe? Being able to ski after classes really seals the deal for me :)

1 minute ago, Cobalt said:

It is an awful thing. It's even worse when you consider that DCA's only has an average low of 32 degrees and lower for 75 days, vs a low of 60 or higher for 130 days. 

Really makes you think. Perhaps it is a good idea for me to go North for college. Vermont maybe? Being able to ski after classes really seals the deal for me :)

Do it man.  You’ve lived warm...go live cold.  The world is your oyster.  If I could do it over I would.  Too late for me...so do it for both of us lol

3 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Thinking meteorology? May I suggest Lyndon State up in NE VT? Burke is JUST down the road, same school Jim Cantore went to and he USED to come and do a class or two. We did the tour years ago when son was considering it. Small school, small town, lots of snow.

9 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Do it man.  You’ve lived warm...go live cold.  The world is your oyster.  If I could do it over I would.  Too late for me...so do it for both of us lol

LOL, I am gonna do mine after. The 'retirement window' opens in about 4, looking hard to join son in Colorado Rockies.

1 hour ago, Cobalt said:

Nice work Cobalt. I think we got just the right amount of warmth. 80s for a few days don't bother me too much in mid-April, and the warm lovers have literally had a field day, but the next few days will be quite an interesting change. Looking forward to it.

32 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

The one fact about our climate that stings me the most is the fact that 60+ degree days in the winter are more common than snow, especially in the cities and maybe also the burbs. But you've just gotta roll with it, or move north. College might be a good chance for you if you can find a good degree program in a nice climo that fits what you want to do.

24 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Part of me wishes I was north for college, but I can't complain since I was here for 2009-10. 

I might try moving north for a few years. It'll be a cool experience if I can get a good job in Massachusetts or New Hampshire. Might start looking in a few months.

8 minutes ago, Fozz said:

The one fact about our climate that stings me the most is the fact that 60+ degree days in the winter are more common than snow, especially in the cities and maybe also the burbs. But you've just gotta roll with it, or move north.

Yeah, that one hurts real bad. I still for sure want to live in the DC area when I'm older, but that would probably mean an elevated area far out from UHI hell. 

Another one that hurts is that My distinct memory of winters (other than brief memories of playing outside in a snow event) starts in late Jan 2015. I have no recollection of the 13/14 winter, or the 09/10 winter. 

I guess the good news is we live in an area that can get massive snowstorms/winters, and we probably enjoy and cherish snow more than anyone in New England, where 3-6" is a car topper. 

27 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

Thinking meteorology? May I suggest Lyndon State up in NE VT? Burke is JUST down the road, same school Jim Cantore went to and he USED to come and do a class or two. We did the tour years ago when son was considering it. Small school, small town, lots of snow.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll definitely put that into consideration. Good thing is I've still got a year or so before I need to worry about that stuff. 

So I just want to say how insane the temp contrast is. 80's in mid Atlantic, and just several hour drive into upstate and we are talking snow and temps in the 20's

My car temp in Delaware read 86 yesterday 24 hours later and after a 7 hour drive, its 24 out and its snowing where I am in Ticonderoga.

This is just mind blowing. Today it was 80 in NYC, and 20's in upstate NY.

Just now, Cobalt said:

Yeah, that one hurts real bad. I still for sure want to live in the DC area when I'm older, but that would probably mean an elevated area far out from UHI hell. 

Another one that hurts is that My distinct memory of winters (other than brief memories of playing outside in a snow event) starts in late Jan 2015. I have no recollection of the 13/14 winter, or the 09/10 winter. 

I guess the good news is we live in an area that can get massive snowstorms/winters, and we probably enjoy and cherish snow more than anyone in New England, where 3-6" is a car topper. 

I feel similarly bummed for not having much recollection of January 1996 or January 2000, because those two storms were amazing around here. But then at the same time, I'm not too sad that I wasn't paying much attention in March 2001 since that was probably the most heartbreaking bust in the last 30 years. 2011-12 and 2012-13 were both very infuriating around DC, so on the plus side, you didn't have to go through that misery. Not to mention, at least you were fully aware to enjoy January 2016, which was right around the same age I was when PDII happened (and in my opinion, it was a better storm).

I completely agree about us being fortunate that we can get big storms every few years. A lot of places in the country, even some who average more than this area, rarely get storms with 10"+. But even DCA seems to get it every few years and we're fortunate for that. 

1 minute ago, Fozz said:

I feel similarly bummed for not having much recollection of January 1996 or January 2000, because those two storms were amazing around here. But then at the same time, I'm not too sad that I wasn't paying much attention in March 2001 since that was probably the most heartbreaking bust in the last 30 years. 2011-12 and 2012-13 were both very infuriating around DC, so on the plus side, you didn't have to go through that misery. Not to mention, at least you were fully aware to enjoy January 2016, which was right around the same age I was when PDII happened (and in my opinion, it was a better storm).

I completely agree about us being fortunate that we can get big storms every few years. A lot of places in the country, even some who average more than this area, rarely get storms with 10"+. But even DCA seems to get it every few years and we're fortunate for that. 

Yes, Jan 2016 was pretty exciting, and I've got plenty of memories from that month altogether. It also reminds me that I'll experience some big winter months in my lifetime, even in the next half decade or so. 

Also, about the 10"+ thing, I remember someone on this board said that Toronto's #1 snowstorm was something like 18", which is crazy when compared to IAD's 32", BWI's 29", or DC's 28". There is just about no area in the Midwest that is of a relatively lower elevation that can get a 2-3' snowstorm. That's what makes the Mid Atlantic/Eastern seaboard/New England pretty special. We're probably one of the only areas in the US which can get a single double digit snowfall that makes up for average snowfall. We expect these storms too, they're not just flukes. 

12 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Yes, Jan 2016 was pretty exciting, and I've got plenty of memories from that month altogether. It also reminds me that I'll experience some big winter months in my lifetime, even in the next half decade or so. 

Also, about the 10"+ thing, I remember someone on this board said that Toronto's #1 snowstorm was something like 18", which is crazy when compared to IAD's 32", BWI's 29", or DC's 28". There is just about no area in the Midwest that is of a relatively lower elevation that can get a 2-3' snowstorm. That's what makes the Mid Atlantic/Eastern seaboard/New England pretty special. We're probably one of the only areas in the US which can get a single double digit snowfall that makes up for average snowfall. We expect these storms too, they're not just flukes. 

If you stay around this area or move north, you'll almost certainly see many good storms to come.

And yeah, there's a reason why I don't really want to live in the Midwest. It's not just the lack of big storms, there also aren't much if any real mountains. We don't have the best mountains by any means, but Canaan and Snowshoe are very nice places to ski especially on powder days. Many also enjoy Wisp. But in large swathes of the Midwest you'll have a hard time finding anything more than 400' vertical. Of course, New England is superior in all of the above categories.

7 minutes ago, Fozz said:

If you stay around this area or move north, you'll almost certainly see many good storms to come.

And yeah, there's a reason why I don't really want to live in the Midwest. It's not just the lack of big storms, there also aren't much if any real mountains. We don't have the best mountains by any means, but Canaan and Snowshoe are very nice places to ski especially on powder days. Many also enjoy Wisp. But in large swathes of the Midwest you'll have a hard time finding anything more than 400' vertical. Of course, New England is superior in all of the above categories.

This all the way. Highest vertical drop I could find by searching is 900 feet at Mount Bohemia in Michigan. I know that several ski resorts in the Midwest are also ungroomed too, which isn't the nicest for beginners. Personally, my family has rarely chosen to ski in the east, and so I learned to ski in Colorado/Utah on our yearly ski trips. A great place to move for tons of easy snow would probably be near JonJon. What other areas can say they got a Crippling/Top 10 (?) snowstorm from a Hurricane?

1 minute ago, Cobalt said:

This all the way. Highest vertical drop I could find by searching is 900 feet at Mount Bohemia in Michigan. I know that several ski resorts in the Midwest are also ungroomed too, which isn't the nicest for beginners. Personally, my family has rarely chosen to ski in the east, and so I learned to ski in Colorado/Utah on our yearly ski trips. A great place to move for tons of easy snow would probably be near JonJon. What other areas can say they got a Crippling/Top 10 (?) snowstorm from a Hurricane?

Jonjon is very lucky to live where he lives. Problem is, there aren't many jobs in that area, but there will always be a few who find a way to make things work for them. Canaan is like the hidden jewel of the region and from my experience, it isn't as well known around here as Liberty or Roundtop or Wisp. But it offers amazing scenes for sure.

2 minutes ago, Fozz said:

It's also awesome that you get to go on yearly ski trips. My family has never been into skiing so I learned on my own initiative and still have ways to go to really get good at it.

My dad is an avid skiier, and so I'm incredibly lucky that I got into it at an early age. My dad just started skiing around my age as well, so he wanted to teach me at a young age. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived