• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Wind Chill

3 hours ago, Weatherdemon said:

I don’t know, but we shouldn’t be talking about this going into April LOL! 

Yeah, I know, but it is really cold here in Kansas for this time of year. I have been looking for this answer for at least a few months. With that said I hope it will warm up eventually. 

I think you're correct about the Oklahoma WC record of -47 (new scale).  I remember that arctic outbreak; it was shortly after the GHD blizzard in the Midwest & Southern plains.  What town was that, and what was the temp/wind speed? 

For Kansas, the coldest WC I've found is -41 in Topeka at 8:00 AM on 12/22/1989 (temp -22 with an 8 mph wind).  However, I'm sure there has been a lower WC at some point in the state...as KS is north of OK so you'd expect the record to be somewhat close to OK's -47.  In fact, the coldest WC may have occurred during the grand-daddy of all arctic outbreaks around February 10, 1899.  Difficult to find details about this, since it was over 100 years ago.

For Nebraska...the coldest temp was -47 (!!), in Camp Clarke in February 1899.  Coldest WC I've found is -53 at 9:00 AM on 12/22/1989 in Valentine (temp -33 with a 7 mph wind).

• 2 months later...
13 hours ago, Knightking2018 said:

Oketo, Kansas December 24, 1983. Temp -19F winds 32 mph wind chill -52F. 

https://www.wunderground.com/history/daily/us/ks/marysville/KKSMARYS3/date/1983-12-24

Wunderground came out with some new data. Marysville also had the same temp and wind. 

That looks legitimate...good find.  I'll update my list in the other thread.

Archived