Newest Member
    Dano62
April 2nd SNE stats padder no foolin, obs and discussion

Ginx snewx

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

You talking your place in Brooklyn? Direct sun, flat plain facing west all factors.. The time of sun exposure /shade is huge. The type of snow too, Scooter being near the coast had more cement that refroze locking crystals tight together. Loose high ratio snow vaporizes or sublinates easier too.Soils that are sandy warm quicker but also cool quicker. 

Also Interior SE MASS has a very high percent of pine forest that locks in snow cover and radiates well at night?

39 minutes ago, nzucker said:

Also Interior SE MASS has a very high percent of pine forest that locks in snow cover and radiates well at night?

Interior SE MA is heavily wooded and is not densely populated just north of fall river to Brockton along route 24.  On cold, clear, windless nights temps can be ten degrees or colder 20 miles north of the south coast beaches in places like Westport.

Relative to its neighbors in the Northeast, this was one of the outer cape's worst winters in a long time.  

Most parts of the New York tri state really cleaned house this spring with snow totals even though the snow lasted about as long as an average larry king marriage.

6 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

You talking your place in Brooklyn? Direct sun, flat plain facing west all factors.. The time of sun exposure /shade is huge. The type of snow too, Scooter being near the coast had more cement that refroze locking crystals tight together. Loose high ratio snow vaporizes or sublinates easier too.Soils that are sandy warm quicker but also cool quicker. 

I also had a sh*t ton of snow. By mid March I could walk on the pack thanks to a few liquid events which as you said helps lock it in. 100" in a month will do that. 

I really do not retain snow well locally. I am not in a heavily wooded spot and get lots of sun. The fact that I had 12-18" still OTG on 4/2 was mind blowing. 

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I also had a sh*t ton of snow. By mid March I could walk on the pack thanks to a few liquid events which as you said helps lock it in. 100" in a month will do that. 

I really do not retain snow well locally. I am not in a heavily wooded spot and get lots of sun. The fact that I had 12-18" still OTG on 4/2 was mind blowing. 

It was just a dream

16 hours ago, dendrite said:

This should be a good one.

4/2/2018   4:30 AM   CT-NL-21   Griswold 0.9 N    0.00      0.0   |   0.00       0.0   |  0.00    CT New London  

I just drove through Griswold, no way they have 3 OTG he reports this morning, maybe an inch if that

7 hours ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Here are the snow totals from the April 2nd CT snow storm. A bit higher than forecast but overall not too bad. I'll give it a B.04_02.18_snow_totals.thumb.jpg.276e5c05a8af195ffb91f00aadba8be7.jpg04_01.18_snow_forecast_2.thumb.jpg.7c682c7e33ae54d5af4d4fa191d7e0d2.jpg

That strip of 2-3" on your map is just wrong. I'm right in the middle of that and had 5.3". That 2.8" in Burlington was reported at 8:30 AM while it was still snowing hard. Nobody got less than 3". Also you put the BDL total over Hartford, BDL is in Windsor Locks.

8 hours ago, nzucker said:

More hardwoods than pine, but even bare-limbed hardwoods can block 25-40% of sunlight.  (Or why snowpack retreats from bases of trees as the sun gets stronger.)  My snow stake is within 10 yards of dense forest in al directions except due north, and though that forest is 90% hardwoods, my small lawn is one of the last open areas to lose its snow.  (The fake cold on still mornings doesn't hurt, either.)

14 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

That location has some wooded areas and actually I think is more sloped in a southern direction (worse than west), but There are other areas just north of me that seem to retain better, even in the open.   My soil seems more clay like, but I am surrounded by ledge.

This is just up the road from me a few miles.  They received less snow, and even in this open field it retained longer. (taken this a.m.)

pomfret.jpeg

1 hour ago, JC-CT said:

Yours truly. Lovely how that 0.1 creates quite the imagery.

i could have just made it 4-8. And taking out those 2"ish amounts will make the whole map one color/no contours. tried to make it close to the numbers i went with then a higher range of 6-8 to see where i was too low.

i think i will be taking out those low amounts because looking at the time stamp vs. radar...that poster is right, it was still snowing at a good rate there.

Archived