Newest Member
    SnowHabit
April 2nd SNE stats padder no foolin, obs and discussion

Ginx snewx

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/31/2018 at 12:38 PM, Ginx snewx said:

Modelling at 12 Z developing a pretty vigorous little Shortwave which is dynamically developing for Monday.  Early weenie maps suggest a 4 to 6 grass deck car topper with minor road accumulation.  Please discuss.

Good modeling handle on this. We take

3 minutes ago, White Rain said:

Yeah good call on the coating-2” north of the pike. We finished with 1.7” here, I thought we might break 2” but the brightening skies just made the snow wet and condense, so we were not able to add on any more. 

I was surprised we got anything over a coating...  I figured the dry air would be an issue

Nice call by some on here

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I was surprised we got anything over a coating...  I figured the dry air would be an issue

Nice call by some on here

I should have known the gradient would be steeper with that dry air to the north. Mistake on my part not going heavier in CT...enhances forcing.

Yeah nice little event. I figured s coast would do fairly well, but forcing trumped the dry air near the ma/ct border and even into BOS.  Was concerned about some of the best dynamics being shoved a little ESE with time instead of the typical SW-NE push these get. 

9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah nice little event. I figured s coast would do fairly well, but forcing trumped the dry air near the ma/ct border and even into BOS.  Was concerned about some of the best dynamics being shoved a little ESE with time instead of the typical SW-NE push these get. 

Can someone explain the dynamics behind forcing, and how it works?

1 minute ago, Cold Miser said:

Can someone explain the dynamics behind forcing, and how it works?

Basically you had good WAA aloft, say 5-8 thousand feet above the surface. This lift translated well into the snow growth zone which was maybe 10-15 thousand feet above ground. This area of forcing sort of pushed NE and then E which led to a few hours of mdt-hvy snow across CT into RI and SE MA. 

10 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

We really raked it in at the end. 
What a nice event. 

Melting fast now.

Amazing how fast. Snow on roofs here is pretty much gone, pavement was gone a few hours ago. There’s still a few inches or so on grass but that’ll be gone soon too. Areas with sun are already going bare. And there was definitely 5-6” here just like the rest of the NYC metro this morning. 

2 minutes ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

4" in this area of Enfield a couple of miles north of Sugarloafer ,  already melting despite the flurries in the air.  

Nice event even up by the Mass boarder for you.

Man, CodFish got screwed again...what a Snowhole he lives in...that'd drive me completely nuts...I'd have to move lol.

This event reminds of me of the kick-off event back on Dec. 9th.  That one was an overachiever too for CT(picked up 7.5" in that one to start off the season), and had very good snowgrowth and was a nice event to start off the season.  This one and that one are like the "Bookends" of the winter...Nice way to go out imo.

Archived