• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Easter April Fools Snow (Apr. 1-2) (Central MO/IL/IN/OH)--Plus Space Station Crash Landing talk

Originally was hesitant to start a separate storm thread for this event (as it's been discussed some already in other threads) but with the timing of this storm and Christmas-like cold on Easter Sunday--which is coinciding this year with April Fool's Day, BTW :D--looks like Mother Nature has a huge April Fool's joke in the hopper particularly for roughly central MO/IL/IN/OH Easter Sunday into Monday.

Then here in the SPI area ILX is hinting at possible thunderstorms Monday night too.  After it feeling like Christmas on Easter Sunday.  (I might think about putting Christmas music on instead of Easter fare :lol:).  And I will be the first to go on a limb and predict that Easter 2018 will be colder than Christmas Day/weekend 2018.

Anyway, parts of the EAX CWA (Kansas City, but north of I-70 and not including KC at this time--but including Kirksville) are already under a WWA for Easter Sunday (including Kirksville)  Also other WWA's already out for tomorrow for SW IA/NE/N KS too.  Won't surprise me if possibly all of LSX follows tonight too, as well at least the S ILX (at least along/S of I-70, maybe even up to I-72 as ILX currently is predicting 1-3 for SPI starting tomorrow afternoon into evening)

And FWIW, WPC's snowfall map (24 hours ending 1200 UTC Monday) has a miniscule (1-5%) window of a narrow window of 8" from roughly Quincy to IND, then again along I-70 in OH and PA.  I will not be surprised if there's isolated 4-6 inch amounts somewhere in tomorrow's storm:

http://origin.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/pwpf/wwd_accum_probs.php?ftype=probabilities&fpd=24&ptype=snow

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the "Snow Bunny" might need to borrow Santa's sleigh.  Can we get this over with already?  The sight of little munchkins digging through snow for eggs just ain't right lol.  

To see if the sky is falling you can track the "Heavenly Palace"  here

Folks in the Midwest might get one last peak at it between 6:15 and 6:45 tomorrow morning if it's clear.  I know Mir was really cool in it's death throws.

http://www.heavens-above.com/main.aspx

Indianapolis looks poised to once again make some late season snowfall history.

The last 1" snowfall in April occurred all the way back on April 2, 1992.  Moving up into the "big leagues", there have only been two calendar day 3"+ snowfalls in the month of April, and they occurred all the way back in 1886 and 1897.  

1" looks like a lock and 3" isn't out of the question.

Latest Pivotal Weather map (FWIW) via the Illinois Storm Trackers' Facebook page is predicting 4.6 inches in SPI (plus 4.8 in Decatur), and possible higher amounts in the southern part of Sangamon County (including Chatham, the suburb I live in).

Ironically, if this transpires this will be about TWO-THIRDS of the current (as of today) snowfall amount we've had ALL WINTER!  So far, SPI has only had 7 inches (despite the earliest reported trace or more occurring last Oct. 28) this entire winter (at least half on Christmas Eve alone).  Meanwhile, Peoria has had 29.6 (and could maybe go over the 30 inch hump tomorrow).

image.png.805a6d104dce8c100669d59eb2c3c28b.png

5 minutes ago, Tim from Springfield (IL) said:

Latest Pivotal Weather map (FWIW) via the Illinois Storm Trackers' Facebook page is predicting 4.6 inches in SPI (plus 4.8 in Decatur), and possible higher amounts in the southern part of Sangamon County (including Chatham, the suburb I live in).

Ironically, if this transpires this will be about TWO-THIRDS of the current (as of today) snowfall amount we've had ALL WINTER!  So far, SPI has only had 7 inches (despite the earliest reported trace or more occurring last Oct. 28) this entire winter (at least half on Christmas Eve alone).  Meanwhile, Peoria has had 29.6 (and could maybe go over the 30 inch hump tomorrow).

And speaking of the "Illinois Storm Trackers" page, as far as tomorrow's Space Station landing, looks they posted this map as an April Fools joke of the situation:

image.png.421ecb60059045bcaf87a5b8814e5032.png

The last measurable snow in Springfield on Easter Sunday was not surprisingly Mar. 23, 2008, with 0.2 in. at Capitol Airport.  But it seems like more that day and was near whiteout conditions in those isolated cells with brief snowbursts.

https://www.weather.gov/media/ilx/Climate/Easter Weather History for Springfield.pdf

Before 2008, Apr. 3, 1983 was the last reported trace or more of Easter snow.

The last Easter with measurable snowfall on the ground was the infamous Easter 1978 (3/26/78).  Only 1 inch of snow--as part of a total precip amount of 1.77 inches of mostly ICE starting on Good Friday.  And everyone knows very well what Easter '78 weekend was like in Central Illinois.

And for the record--the 18 inch dump on 3/24/2013 was Palm Sunday, but all gone (except MAYBE some tiny piles) by Easter Sunday, if not by Good Friday or before.

And if these predictions hold up the Snowiest Easter record for SPI may be in jeopardy (4.7 inches on Apr. 4, 1920--exactly one week after the Palm Sunday tornado outbreak in parts of this sub).

21 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Indianapolis looks poised to once again make some late season snowfall history.

The last 1" snowfall in April occurred all the way back on April 2, 1992.  Moving up into the "big leagues", there have only been two calendar day 3"+ snowfalls in the month of April, and they occurred all the way back in 1886 and 1897.  

1" looks like a lock and 3" isn't out of the question.

Just hope this doesnt fizzle out east of Indy like the last storm did. It would be cool to see accumulating snow in April. 

1 hour ago, Tim from Springfield (IL) said:

And speaking of the "Illinois Storm Trackers" page, as far as tomorrow's Space Station landing, looks they posted this map as an April Fools joke of the situation:

image.png.421ecb60059045bcaf87a5b8814e5032.png

Geesh...I'm even literally "right on the line" for getting hit by space station fragments too...just can't win.... :P:):P 

2 hours ago, CoachLB said:

this could get entertaining across I-70 corridor. Maybe some advisories.

I’d expect IND and ILN (and also PBZ) to fill in the gap in advisories.  Should be a quick 2-4” wherever the best fgen band sets up with a brief period of 1-2” per hour rates. 

14 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Noticed there's a nice band running through LAF.  They are actually not in the advisory but they may wind up with a good 3-4" at this rate.

OKK under a WWA, but not LAF. Very odd call by IND. Anyways, 0.16" of precip thus far at LAF...and still ripping. Nice to see our old home still has it. :D

And I can't believe all these systems of late whiffing us to the south...in March and now April. :lol:

Archived