Newest Member
    joxey
April 2 Snow Event

NorthArlington101

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, mappy said:

I’m not sure how I feel about both the euro and gfs showing 4" for my backyard for Monday 

The 3K NAM isn't concerned with your feelings......6"+ for you. Ferrier cuts that in half to 3" or so. Not a bad appetizer for the April HECS next weekend.

ETA: CMC on the bandwagon as well. 

Overall the event seems to be juicing up notably over previous runs; not seeing any obvious signs of a north trend yet -- something to keep a close eye on as PSU mentioned earlier.

Looks like there will be a fairly compact area of heavy snow with this event.. Nice jet streak and 700 mb fronto forcing set up over N MD into southern and E PA, and NJ. This is where the strong lift should be able to quickly overcome the warm temps and allow snow to fall hard enough to stick. And its occurring at night so no sun angle issues. Probably around 1-2" with maybe 3 in a few spots. Congrats Showme, PSU and Mappy- they get to pad their snow totals. Instant meltage once its stops Monday morning lol. The rest of us to the south of that area will see mostly rain/snow tv with temps likely bottoming out at around 35-36 during the event. Maybe a slushy coating.

2 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Looks like there will be a fairly compact area of heavy snow with this event.. Nice jet streak and 700 mb fronto forcing set up over N MD into southern and E PA, and NJ. This is where the strong lift should be able to quickly overcome the warm temps and allow snow to fall hard enough to stick. And its occurring at night so no sun angle issues. Probably around 1-2" with maybe 3 in a few spots. Congrats Showme, PSU and Mappy- they get to pad their snow totals. Instant meltage once its stops Monday morning lol. The rest of us to the south of that area will see mostly rain/snow tv with temps likely bottoming out at around 35-36 during the event. Maybe a slushy coating.

If it’s going to snow I might as well embrace it. I’m still 4" shy from climo

Thoughts really haven't changed from the last few days in regards to Sun night/Mon morning system. Think any possible impact from this system will be confined to north and west of Baltimore mainly around the PA/MD line and the higher elevations. Could see Baltimore eek out a slushy coating, with DC at best scoring white rain for a time. 

The general temp profile for the cities from 800 mb on down to the surface leading into the storm is rough to say the least. And even in the meat of the storm 925-950 mb to the surface is torching. At this point the GFS is the warm outlier with the other models for the most part coming in colder. If we see verification more so towards the GFS snowfall would be minimal with it probably being a struggle to even attain an inch or two of slushy accumulations around the PA line. The colder solutions on the other hand and we are probably talking 3-4 inches in the favored locations. At this point I would probably lean towards the colder solutions as the mesos for the most part favor that. Today's and tonight's meso runs (will be keeping an eye on the 3K NAM in particular) will be very telling as they get within a reasonable time range for their use when it comes to the temp profiles and their evolution leading into and during the storm. I will point out that elevation could have a huge impact on accumulations. It could be a case where PSU with his 1000 ft+ elevation scores 4-6 inch totals and those 500 ft lower are lucky to get an inch or two. That extra 500 ft of warmth off the surface for the snow to fall through could definitely make or break many.

Started to do up a little something from the 06Z runs to show the issues involved with the temps at different levels of the atmosphere but found I ran out of time. Visiting family in western PA so time is somewhat limited. I hope to find some time after the 12Z runs to throw a little something up for the novices so they can understand the intricacies involved.

10 hours ago, MountainGeek said:

The 3K NAM isn't concerned with your feelings......6"+ for you. Ferrier cuts that in half to 3" or so. Not a bad appetizer for the April HECS next weekend.

ETA: CMC on the bandwagon as well. 

Overall the event seems to be juicing up notably over previous runs; not seeing any obvious signs of a north trend yet -- something to keep a close eye on as PSU mentioned earlier.

I see it 

IMG_5301.thumb.GIF.93c993203184d670eb12d5eab822c69a.GIF

12 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Euro still looked fine to me for up here ...we'll see if it bumps north like the nams.  Still 40 hours or so out and that's really stretching the  3k s range still . I think 0z tonight will probably tell the tale .

We will see. Nam shifted the axis from central MD to northern PA in 4 runs. That fits with typical late trends with these and usually continues to game time. I always want to be north of the axis 48 hours out with west to east frontal waves.  But maybe this will be the 1/10 that breaks the mold. Also I'm not saying we won't get any snow up here. But I'm leaning a minor 1-3" event on the southern edge as places north of us get the 4-8" axis. And it wouldn't shock me if even that shifted north of us. 

I'm about 4 miles from the pa border and I'm not feeling good about this one. This seems more like a central pa or northern pa jackpot. Hopefully I'm wrong and wake up to 4 inches of fresh snow Monday morning but being on the southern edge already is problematic. Still 48 hours to go.

2 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

I'm about 4 miles from the pa border and I'm not feeling good about this one. This seems more like a central pa or northern pa jackpot. Hopefully I'm wrong and wake up to 4 inches of fresh snow Monday morning but being on the southern edge already is problematic. Still 48 hours to go.

I’m feeling good for you for this.  I am intrigued by next weekend.  I probably shouldn’t be but with some hits to my south I am feeling more than meh

Well, I kinda screwed the other thread up.  Tried to move some posts from the Mid/Long range thread into the original April 2 thread and ended up merging instead.  (So if you had a post in the old April 2 snowstorm thread, look for it there).

Anyway here is the new, new April 2 thread.   Discuss. (The storm, not my screw up).  

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived