• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Napril Fools? Pattern and Model Discussion . . .

HimoorWx

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yeah it's probably a topic for Chris or PF but ..wouldn't shock me if there's summit whitening this evening and over night.

There's been snow down to 500ft as JSpin's seen flakes.

Snowing steadily at the ski resort base areas.

Here's some light accums at 800ft just east of BTV on the western slope:

IMG_9496.thumb.JPG.0200e2f11f9e0bdb00d6c26813baffb1.JPG

14 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

6 months from now we envy. Right now I’ll take today’s U50s and sun. Keep it.

Yeah if it's going to snow, it should do it like 8 years ago.

That same webcam picked up 18".  

April 28, 2010 was one of the largest snowstorms of that winter.  I'll have to dig up the pics.  Stuff was already green, trees were starting to leaf out at my place I remember and we got like 7" of 5:1 slop at 300ft and lost power.  Anything over 800ft had 18-24".  There was an insane low level gradient.

If it's going to snow it should go big like that year ha, other wise forget it.

14 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah if it's going to snow, it should do it like 8 years ago.

That same webcam picked up 18".  

April 28, 2010 was one of the largest snowstorms of that winter.  I'll have to dig up the pics.  Stuff was already green, trees were starting to leaf out at my place I remember and we got like 7" of 5:1 slop at 300ft and lost power.  Anything over 800ft had 18-24".  There was an insane low level gradient.

If it's going to snow it should go big like that year ha, other wise forget it.

I remember that. Now that’s the way to do it. Agree. 

Light snow and 30° F with about 1/2" of new snow on cold surfaces like the old snow pack. Still not sticking to the mud yet. The snow showers from the morning and early afternoon didn't stick at all but we had some large aggregates. We then dry slotted with just a cold misery mist for several hours before starting back up again around 5 PM.

We'll see if the that TROWAL feature out by Schenectady and Albany moves east overnight without fading out. If it does, we could really rip for a while. 

On a side note, I found a very interesting but somewhat technical read about the downstream advection of snow onto the leeward slopes of mountains. To summarize, upper east slope, FTW. 

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/2013JD019880

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I remember that. Now that’s the way to do it. Agree. 

One of the crazier snowstorms of my life for the time of year.

April 28, 2010.  There was already leaves on the trees, this year not even buds.  Now this is how you do a snowstorm in late-April.

jMLemOt.jpg

80PEmoT.jpg

4NAnjUq.jpg

SL8aeM4.jpg

EriTVMO.jpg

Just now, wxmanmitch said:

Light snow and 30° F with about 1/2" of new snow on cold surfaces like the old snow pack. Still not sticking to the mud yet. The snow showers from the morning and early afternoon didn't stick at all but we had some large aggregates. We then dry slotted with just a cold misery mist for several hours before starting back up again around 5 PM.

We'll see if the that TROWAL feature out by Schenectady and Albany moves east overnight without fading out. If it does, we could really rip for a while. 

On a side note, I found a very interesting but somewhat technical read about the downstream advection of snow onto the leeward slopes of mountains. To summarize, upper east slope, FTW. 

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/2013JD019880

I'll have to take a look at that... but that's what I've always said about Stowe's terrain and why there's so much damn snow that falls up there.  I've always thought the max upslope lifts occurs just west of the crest or even right over the crest, but with the strong westerly flow that lift ends up depositing the heaviest of its precip just to the east before you get to a very sharp gradient of precipitation.

This was yesterday and that 2,500ft elevation on the east side is still holding 36-40" snow depths, which then doubles again by the time you get to 4,000ft.  The east side most years has a deeper snowpack and it lasts a lot longer.  I mean this is a significant amount of snow for mid-slope elevation, well down into the hardwoods.

p8x3Cp9.jpg

Archived