• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Napril Fools? Pattern and Model Discussion . . .

HimoorWx

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

chicken versus egg arguement

Ginx, I don't know how you can say that honestly??

I mean if we didn't have the Hemispheric Set up...it wouldn't matter if Southeast Canada had 50 ft of snow...the pattern would overpower that very quickly.  I agree that snow up there definitely helped keep the air masses from moderating, but if the hemispheric set up wasn't conducive, this cold wouldn't have come like it is.  Just my opinion. 

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

They mis-listed EWB with BED I believe.  They called New Bedford at 107F...lol

It's in the New Bedford COOP form. Tossed. http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/orders/IPS/IPS-8E6A520A-0926-4616-8F6E-D3D4DF526CCC.pdf

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Oh if the airport was that low, then yeah....coop reading tossed. Tossed further than Mookie Betts' HRs last night.

Someone not too far away though could have cracked 105F plausibly if the PVD reading is good.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KEWB/1975/8/2/DailyHistory.html

57 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Aug 1975 wasn't even an above avg temp month at ORH and BDL....it had that epic 3 days to start the month and then the rest of the month was largely below normal which was able to wipe out all the positive departures and then some. BOS was able to hang onto slightly positive departure for the month.

July 1975 was actually a pretty warm/summary month but didn't have the signature heat wave that Aug 1975 had.

I remember a stout bd on Sunday 8/3.  BOS was in the low 60s by late afternoon.

Remember August 75 well.  It was between my junior and senior years at URI, and as usual I worked summers at my father's package store in Riverside, RI.  Big store with a big cooler, and by closing time I think the only cold beer we had left was crap that no one ever bought . . . but that night they bought it.  Store had very high ceilings so it was always comfy with a nice cross breeze when the side doors were open.  That was the only day I ever remember that it was unbearable inside.  After closing at 10, went over to the Lum's (remember them?) in Seekonk and drank cold schooners until the wee hours.  I seem to recall that places were allowed to stay open later than normal.  Next day (back when package stores were closed on Sundays) headed down to Scarborough Beach and baked; not as hot as Saturday, but still brutal.  The good ole days.

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Hmm... I don't get that impression.   My experience has been that we have had a steady diet of cold wet systems, some of which have come with some freezing/frozen contention along the way ... if not some physical expression, but by and large, this has been a cold "wet" April... not a snowy one? 

Just look at the climate majors; I guarantee that the vast majority of uptake has fallen in the form of liquid -

I guarantee that's also the case for any place in New England below 1,000 feet and 45 north, except in extraordinary instances.  When the Farmington co-op had 36.1" in April 2007, breaking their old April mark by 12.1" (with 125 years record), the LE from that snow was less than 40% of the month's total precip.  (One of those extraordinary months was April 1975.  They had 20.0" with 2.03" LE in the 3-5 blizzard, then only 0.57" precip - no more snow - for the rest of the month, so 78% was snow.  That's the formula - one big event then dry.)

I believe ACK reached 100 on hot Saturday 1975.

Which may be even more outlandish than the 101 at BHB, 30' asl.  We'd been picking blueberries that morning in Gouldsboro, maybe 10 miles NE of BHB, and it was so blazingly hot that I joked that we could sprinkle sugar and make jam right in the field.  We then drove to Acadia, and went swimming in Otter Cove, the one and only time (in my experience) that Maine saltwater actually felt warm.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Interesting factoid I recall about the ACK readings during that heat wave....I think they recorded a 100F and a 98F on back to back days. The next warmest reading ever recorded at ACK is something like 91F. That should tell you a lot about where on the tail of distributions that 1975 heat wave was.

Were those ACK hot days 1st-2nd or 2nd-3rd.  If the latter, makes me wonder what their obs time was at the time.  BHB shows 101 and 100 for 2nd-3rd, but the bd came thru in the overnight (BGR was cloudy and about 70 most of 8/3, after a 12:01 AM high of 79), so I'm guessing BHB in '75 recorded at 4 PM and that 8/3 max actually was 4:01 PM on the 2nd.

If the New Bedford 107 is now discredited, as I believe the same temp in Chester went down the drain (or was it only Chester's -35 that was invalidated?), then what is the current highest for New England?  ASH hit 106 in the great NNE heatwave of July 1911.

35 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Ginx, I don't know how you can say that honestly??

I mean if we didn't have the Hemispheric Set up...it wouldn't matter if Southeast Canada had 50 ft of snow...the pattern would overpower that very quickly.  I agree that snow up there definitely helped keep the air masses from moderating, but if the hemispheric set up wasn't conducive, this cold wouldn't have come like it is.  Just my opinion. 

would massive high pressures in Canada affect Hemispheric  circulation? What comes first?

Judging April by the amount of total snow strikes me as not an indicator, one storm skews the look. I think number of snow days and temp to date puts this April right up there with the worst non spring Aprils, look at ORH number of days less than 30 degrees, tied with 75 at the current site, with only 1943 more at the older colder site, south of the pike is even worse  

1 2018-04-17 13 0
- 1975-04-17 13

41 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Were those ACK hot days 1st-2nd or 2nd-3rd.  If the latter, makes me wonder what their obs time was at the time.  BHB shows 101 and 100 for 2nd-3rd, but the bd came thru in the overnight (BGR was cloudy and about 70 most of 8/3, after a 12:01 AM high of 79), so I'm guessing BHB in '75 recorded at 4 PM and that 8/3 max actually was 4:01 PM on the 2nd.

If the New Bedford 107 is now discredited, as I believe the same temp in Chester went down the drain (or was it only Chester's -35 that was invalidated?), then what is the current highest for New England?  ASH hit 106 in the great NNE heatwave of July 1911.

ACK's hot days were 8/2 and 8/3. The site though was not a traditional coop...it was an hourly reporting FAA site back then, so the dates should be legit.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

ACK's hot days were 8/2 and 8/3. The site though was not a traditional coop...it was an hourly reporting FAA site back then, so the dates should be legit.

The Climod site currently shows 100 and 97 for ACK, but that's still less difference 2nd/3rd than any other coastal location in the region.  BOS has 102/89, and since their low for 8/2 was a modest 83, I can believe their 89 came at 12:01 AM.  PVD had 104/93.  Farther north, PWM had 103/84, and I'm quite confident that was a cheap high there.  Farther inland/south things were closer:  ORH 96/90, BDL 101/97.  Still leaves me scratching my head about that 97 (or 98) on 8/3.

I ran my fireplace insert recently...feels wrong. 

Still feeding the Jotul 2 armloads/day here, only about 1/4 of what is needed in January but still respectable for mid April.

Archived