• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Napril Fools? Pattern and Model Discussion . . .

HimoorWx

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, MarkO said:

Getting pounded with sleet and winds are gusting probably into the 40's but winds out of the SE don't show up on my Davis since I'm on the north side of the hill. 32.6/30.

No power last hour.

33.1F  Heavy sleet.  Vis 3/4 mile.  Wind on Davis 24 gusting to 44mph (and that is sheltered side).   Temp has dropped a few tenths with heavier sleet.

23 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Nah, I'm struggling to pull off infrequent gusts to 20mph. I'm not allowed to have northeast wind.

Getting mauled to death by paint-stripping sleet instead.

I had to go pick up cat food at Petco in Gilford. The wind was absolutely raging there with pounding sleet about 60-90 minutes ago. Tore the skin right off my face.

Wow what a weather day!!!! Lots of rain, ice, AND snow all combining into one massive storm. Here in Waterville the day started out chaotic on the roads plowing, a car slipped and clipped the side of the plow. everyone out trying to drive around until they realized lets just wait it out. so now time stands still as we all wait for this storm to ride out. Schools cancelled today up here as well.  I love snow but this is not my favorite.

6 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

33.1F  heavy sleet and heavy rain, blowing ground sleet. Many trees down in my area.  Large pine laying along our road.  NH Dot has closed Rt 93 going through Franconia Notch,  3 trucks have rolled over.  Major guardrail damage.

About 2" of sleet from this storm.  

ice.jpg

1 minute ago, #NoPoles said:

Interstate 93 through the white mtns is currently closed due to 3 tractor trailers being blown over

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Doggie pee pee on gauge?

...Hartford County...
   Bristol               3.27   124 PM  4/16  NONE
   wethersfield          3.27   130 PM  4/16  NONE
   Newington             3.24  1232 PM  4/16  NONE
   Avon                  2.60  1217 PM  4/16  Trained Spotter
   glastonbury           2.31   126 PM  4/16  NONE
   Unionville            2.16   127 PM  4/16  NONE
   Wethersfield          2.16  1142 AM  4/16  Ham Radio
   Glastonbury           1.94  1228 PM  4/16  NONE
   West Hartford         1.90  1229 PM  4/16  NONE
   Marlborough           1.74  1226 PM  4/16  NONE

...Tolland County...
   hebron                2.38   128 PM  4/16  NONE

48 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

...Hartford County...
   Bristol               3.27   124 PM  4/16  NONE
   wethersfield          3.27   130 PM  4/16  NONE
   Newington             3.24  1232 PM  4/16  NONE
   Avon                  2.60  1217 PM  4/16  Trained Spotter
   glastonbury           2.31   126 PM  4/16  NONE
   Unionville            2.16   127 PM  4/16  NONE
   Wethersfield          2.16  1142 AM  4/16  Ham Radio
   Glastonbury           1.94  1228 PM  4/16  NONE
   West Hartford         1.90  1229 PM  4/16  NONE
   Marlborough           1.74  1226 PM  4/16  NONE

...Tolland County...
   hebron                2.38   128 PM  4/16  NONE

Joking

Had about 2" of sleet last night and today. Sleet was mixed with snow (mostly little plates and needles that were being generated beneath the inversion) up until 10 AM. Lost power for several hours earlier due to a blowdown somewhere, but it's back on now. Green Mountain Power makes it easy to track outages through their site, so I knew when it was back on. There are lots of little twigs and branches that blew down from the gusty east winds, but no major damage here.

Driving on this stuff is very difficult as it's like little ball bearings. Snow is much easier to handle. I expect it all to freeze solid after midnight once we go around to the west and cool off back into the mid and upper 20s. For now it's just a sheet drizzle and about 34° F. Winds are still occasionally gusty from the SE, but not too bad anymore. May snow pack looks like a lock now, especially if we can get something on Thursday as today's 12z Euro shows.

IMG_0360.JPG

IMG_0361.JPG

IMG_0356.JPG

6 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah and if you want to take it a step further, over this way it's about 3,000-3,500ft elevation that always seems to be ground zero in low level cold.  Maybe it's just a micro-climate of the east slope, but 3,000ft will be the last to warm up....often extending up to 4,000ft too.

Like it's still 22-25F in the 3-4kft column on Mansfield's east side right now.  That's also why I think that area preserves snow so well and it's very hard to get that to melt and why the COOP can build ridiculous snow depths.  

Throw in a strong SE flow and upslope cooling and around these parts, that's always the last elevation to go above freezing.  

I wonder if it's the same further SE into Dendrites area? Where's the max cold layer?  Part of me thinks it's lower down that way while up this way it always seems to be mid-Slope to summits that are impossible to dislodge and warm up.

Here as well. The meso station up on the summit of Stratton (~3.9K) was 11° F last night when I was 20° F and North Adams (650') was about 29° F, implying a lapse rate that was nearly dry adiabatic in the low levels beneath the inversion. Even now it's 27° F up there, 34° F here and 41° F in North Adams, which is between moist and dry adiabatic.

3 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

Here as well. The meso station up on the summit of Stratton (~3.9K) was 11° F last night when I was 20° F and North Adams (650') was about 29° F, implying a lapse rate that was nearly dry adiabatic in the low levels beneath the inversion. Even now it's 27° F up there, 34° F here and 41° F in North Adams, which is between moist and dry adiabatic.

This airmass was crazy cold around 900mb.

Archived