• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Napril Fools? Pattern and Model Discussion . . .

HimoorWx

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

The low levels are so ridiculously cold that there will prob a lot of snow grains and pixie dust in your 'hood and even possibly down to the pike region. Putting up -9C and -10C at 900-950 below the warm layer is no joke. That's like arctic airmass during overrunning in Jan/Feb 1994 type stuff. It's so weird to see it in April, but if the guidance keeps showing it, then it is what it is...gotta forecast for it.

That's why I'm expecting. Mostly sleet with snow grains mixed in. I'm hoping the CAA is even stronger and we push most of the QPF down your way while we dry out and enjoy an overcast 30/16 day.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the winter this type of icing y'all are describing causes the riming to glow in a soft white - it's actually really haltingly mesmerizing to look at ...  You get that when you have a 5,000 foot tall cold slab with a ZR/sleet mix.. and you get those fluttering micro-shards mixing into the glazing.  

19 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Nah.. I was never able to qualify for BOS. Just missed the time by a few minutes and then it started going the opposite way in subsequent marathons 

oh, you mean your times started slipping ?   

jesus, what you do you have to run to qualify -  obviously it's set to age stuff... 

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

oh, you mean your times started slipping ?   

jesus, what you do you have to run to qualify -  obviously it's set to age stuff... 

3:05 for men under 35. Minus a few minutes since it fills up. So 3:00 or so. 30 minutes more for women. 5-15 minutes added every 5 years you go up from age 35 …

5 minutes ago, ariof said:

3:05 for men under 35. Minus a few minutes since it fills up. So 3:00 or so. 30 minutes more for women. 5-15 minutes added every 5 years you go up from age 35 …

interesting if true ... I mean I'm sure it is - but we are dealing with the 'wild wild west' of the internet so don't be offended or read in or anything.. 

but, I ran the best times of my life at 38 years old.  I never ran marathons though... I had a 5.5 mile course I once did 37 minutes at roughly that age - 

Now I'm a tall cow and would be lucky to run three miles in an hour - haha.. I'm getting back into it though. I've lost 20 pds just cutting out drinking entirely and going for a puritanical life style.  Three years since a beer - ... I'm actually enjoying it. 

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It was HFD in October a few years ago . Cold rain is just brutal to run in. You’ll see the times be higher Monday in general 

Uhm

Boston 2015, 45˚, headwind, rain. 3:00:07, 3000th overall

Boston 2016, 70˚, headwind, sunny. 3:03:05, 1800th overall

I just don't think this is true. Also, data. I for one am excited about it not being 70˚ on Monday. (Sorry this is getting banter-y. the EC looks downright frigid.)

8 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

interesting if true ... I mean I'm sure it is - but we are dealing with the 'wild wild west' of the internet so don't be offended or read in or anything.. 

but, I ran the best times of my life at 38 years old.  I never ran marathons though... I had a 5.5 mile course I once did 37 minutes at roughly that age - 

Now I'm a tall cow and would be lucky to run three miles in an hour - haha.. I'm getting back into it though. I've lost 20 pds just cutting out drinking entirely and going for a puritanical life style.  Three years since a beer - ... I'm actually enjoying it. 

There's a lot of data that shows that http://www.baa.org/news-and-press/news-listing/2017/september/2018-boston-marathon-qualifier-acceptances.aspx do not follow age-adjusted finishing times, but like most things in Boston they've always done it that way and whatever they say goes.

I've been mostly teetotaling for a few weeks; I am a little excited about the first beer after the race.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

That's why I'm expecting. Mostly sleet with snow grains mixed in. I'm hoping the CAA is even stronger and we push most of the QPF down your way while we dry out and enjoy an overcast 30/16 day.

No, no, no Brian.  Hey if we are going to have such an unusual weather event we might as well enjoy it.  Sundays a wasted day outside If its going to be 30F and overcast we might as well have something falling from the sky to enjoy.  I don't want power outages but don't want to be out of the action while everyone is honking just south of us about this or that falling from the sky.  

6 minutes ago, ariof said:

There's a lot of data that shows that http://www.baa.org/news-and-press/news-listing/2017/september/2018-boston-marathon-qualifier-acceptances.aspx do not follow age-adjusted finishing times, but like most things in Boston they've always done it that way and whatever they say goes.

I've been mostly teetotaling for a few weeks; I am a little excited about the first beer after the race.

jesus... quick math... that's 7 minute miles to get 3:05 for 26 miles.  actually sub-7's technically... 6.92 min miles.   That seems a little steep for an activity that's registerable to the public but oh well 

38 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

jesus... quick math... that's 7 minute miles to get 3:05 for 26 miles.  actually sub-7's technically... 6.92 min miles.   That seems a little steep for an activity that's registerable to the public but oh well 

6:53s get you a three-even. I did not have to look that up.

(I get five minutes next year. 7:13s vs 6:53s is a HUGE difference.)

57 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

No, no, no Brian.  Hey if we are going to have such an unusual weather event we might as well enjoy it.  Sundays a wasted day outside If its going to be 30F and overcast we might as well have something falling from the sky to enjoy.  I don't want power outages but don't want to be out of the action while everyone is honking just south of us about this or that falling from the sky.  

Fear of missing out! Haha if it's not straight snow I'm ok though I think we are getting wintry regardless of desires or fears.

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

His posts never make any sense for his location....guess that's why he's got the weenie tag.

Ha I've always been confused as well.  That's not a spot you write off snow in like mid-March.  Then again it's one of those places that's surprising to find anyone online that lives there... very very small town.

Archived