• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Napril Fools? Pattern and Model Discussion . . .

HimoorWx

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Did wxblue quit his job yet? Maybe hit some opiates on the seacoast this weekend?

He loved the winter but may be swinging from the rafters this month.  The price we pay.  DCers and south hate us when we cash in but where are they to comfort us now?

13 minutes ago, weathafella said:

He loved the winter but may be swinging from the rafters this month.  The price we pay.  DCers and south hate us when we cash in but where are they to comfort us now?

From an avg high of 70F to mid 40s so far this month. Buy stock in xanax and zoloft.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

That sounding could even produce snow at BOS is there's Low level lift...given its -10C at 900mb. So ridiculous. 

Yea, it looks as though we could have more sleet and snow, than freezing rain. I'm starting to think the major icing is further west/southwest in Northern Mid Atlantic and Upstate NY. 

5 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

No such thing as an ice storm warning.

Unless they changed it really recently, I'm pretty sure there is. The criteria for BOX forecast area is a half inch of ice. We def won't be getting that. 

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Unless they changed it really recently, I'm pretty sure there is. The criteria for BOX forecast area is a half inch of ice. We def won't be getting that. 

I think it did. It looks like it goes from a freezing rain advisory to a winter storm warning for serious icing.

It looks like the NWS has kept the ice storm warning and also has the winter storm warning for icing as well. I just don't recall seeing and ice storm warning, but I could be wrong.

6 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

I think it did. It looks like it goes from a freezing rain advisory to a winter storm warning for serious icing.

https://www.weather.gov/box/criteria

https://www.weather.gov/media/box/officePrograms/box_criteria_thresholds.pdf

Still has it on their webpage... didn't realize it was 1/2" as I always thought it was 1/4"

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Prob the worst marathon running wx in BOS in many many years . That 87 degree day was better in some regards 

Ha!

Nope. 37 and rain is far preferable to even 70 for most runners. You can layer for cold. You can't unlayer for heat. If the NAM verifies and it's 42˚ and barely raining it will be downright nice. 2015 was a much better year for running (44, rain, headwind) than 2016 or 2017. Tuesday would be far better (50, cloudy, tailwind) but beggars can't be choosers.

2 minutes ago, yoda said:

https://www.weather.gov/media/box/officePrograms/box_criteria_thresholds.pdf

Still has it on their webpage... didn't realize it was 1/2" as I always thought it was 1/4"

Looks like it was the freezing rain advisory that was discontinued and it now just covered in winter weather advisory. But the ice storm warning still lives on. 

3 minutes ago, yoda said:

We get 0.25" accretion fairly often, but we rarely see warning criteria, so those warnings don't show up too often

I assume some type of winter weather advisories go up though... yeesh

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Looks like it was the freezing rain advisory that was discontinued and it now just covered in winter weather advisory. But the ice storm warning still lives on. 

Curiously the main page of the NWS mentions significant icing possible in the Mid-West, but has no ice storm warning. 

4 minutes ago, ariof said:

Ha!

Nope. 37 and rain is far preferable to even 70 for most runners. You can layer for cold. You can't unlayer for heat. If the NAM verifies and it's 42˚ and barely raining it will be downright nice. 2015 was a much better year for running (44, rain, headwind) than 2016 or 2017. Tuesday would be far better (50, cloudy, tailwind) but beggars can't be choosers.

One of the ones I ran was in rain and low 40’s. Hands down the worst experience ever. You start to risk hypothermia and you can’t get warm. It took me two days to get warm after that. 

Just now, Sugarloaf1989 said:

Curiously the main page of the NWS mentions significant icing possible, but has no ice storm warning. 

It's because our warning criteria for icing is really high. Half an inch of accretion. That's very rarely reached. I think the last time anyone reached it was the dec 2008 storm...outside of maybe some very isolated occurances. The criteria should probably be a quarter inch because you start getting a few power outages at a quarter inch and then it really ramps up around 1/3rd to 3/8ths or so. 

Archived