• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Napril Fools? Pattern and Model Discussion . . .

HimoorWx

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Oh yeah I wasn't really looking at it from that angle, just that the highest above normal was probably in SNE and it's funny, with only like 4-5 below normal snow winters for a bunch of SNE since like 2000... it would have to take one awful looking winter pattern to actually forecast below normal snowfall going forward.

Just when you think about it, probably lean snowier in a seasonal outlook when in doubt.  

There is no question we've been living the good life. To those under 30, relish these winters. They will not last despite what the Man in Moosup thinks. 

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it was a pretty epic winter in SVT. Snow pack from late November until current. I think Friday should knock it down to patches. February actually wasn’t bad snow wise with two 12”+ events. And then the epic March with 18” 36” and 20”. Seasonal total near 150” at 1600’. Hoping to be back at the same house next season. Though I will not mind if my friends decide rent something closer to 2k!

7 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I thought it was a pretty epic winter in SVT. Snow pack from late November until current. I think Friday should knock it down to patches. February actually wasn’t bad snow wise with two 12”+ events. And then the epic March with 18” 36” and 20”. Seasonal total near 150” at 1600’. Hoping to be back at the same house next season. Though I will not mind if my friends decide rent something closer to 2k!

Yeah definitely Epic down in SVT.  No doubt about it.  It was good up here, normal snowfall for me with extremely long period of snow cover and no melt outs even at home during met winter.

But it was no last winter that's for sure up here.  I'd sign up for this winter each year though, 120" or so at home and 260" for the 3,000ft level.  

18 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah definitely Epic down in SVT.  No doubt about it.  It was good up here, normal snowfall for me with extremely long period of snow cover and no melt outs even at home during met winter.

But it was no last winter that's for sure up here.  I'd sign up for this winter each year though, 120" or so at home and 260" for the 3,000ft level.  

Here it was almost identical in total to last winter - 172" this winter vs 175" last winter. We had uninterrupted snow cover Nov - Apr, but last year had more consistent and frequent snow. If you take out the crazy 50" or so week, this winter definitely would have been quite a bit behind last season. 

33 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I posted this in the NNE thread a few weeks back:

Season total at 137.7".  I have been looking at  local COOPs at all valley locations in SVT, records go back to the 1880s, I cant find anything higher than what I have this year so far. There are 3 COOPs with pretty extensive data.(and a few down in Bennington and even up in RUT)  There are caveats--some missing years and also how those COOPs are measuring-Im not sure what methods they have done throughout the years. If they are doing just once a day at 6-7am then that would cut down totals for sure.    

Taking out the measuring debate and if all things were equal, then 137.7" would be the most actually documented in the SVT valleys west of the Greens

39 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Season total at 137.7".  I have been looking at  local COOPs at all valley locations in SVT, records go back to the 1880s, I cant find anything higher than what I have this year so far. There are 3 COOPs with pretty extensive data.(and a few down in Bennington and even up in RUT)  There are caveats--some missing years and also how those COOPs are measuring-Im not sure what methods they have done throughout the years. If they are doing just once a day at 6-7am then that would cut down totals for sure.    

Taking out the measuring debate and if all things were equal, then 137.7" would be the most actually documented in the SVT valleys west of the Greens

That's impressive, send this to NWS ALB

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

It was March that really did it for us. DJF were pretty close to average, but the 90" total during the first 2 weeks of March here is what really turned it into a stellar season. I doubt I'm just patches here after Friday, but the 1,500 to 2,000' range will likely be more patchy. It will knock the pack down for sure, but I still have over 2' of snow on 95% of the property. People are still out on their sleds as conditions are stellar.

34 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

You're probably in the best spot for anyplace west of the Greens in VT. Manchester is in a narrow valley bounded by the Greens to the east and the Taconics to the west, so downslope effects are minimized a bit there. Narrow valleys are generally better for snow than the wider ones like the Champlain or Hudson Valleys. 

I don't know what the seasonal total is here since I just moved here on 3/1, but I've had 100" since then. I'm guessing DJF were somewhere around 100", so that would put my total near the 200" mark, maybe a little more, I don't know for sure. There's a COOP in Wilmington at 1,500' and he's had 169.5" and appears to be pretty reliable. 

6 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

It was March that really did it for us. DJF were pretty close to average, but the 90" total during the first 2 weeks of March here is what really turned it into a stellar season. I doubt I'm just patches here after Friday, but the 1,500 to 2,000' range will likely be more patchy. It will knock the pack down for sure, but I still have over 2' of snow on 95% of the property. People are still out on their sleds as conditions are stellar.

You're probably in the best spot for anyplace west of the Greens in VT. Manchester is in a narrow valley bounded by the Greens to the east and the Taconics to the west, so downslope effects are minimized a bit there. Narrow valleys are generally better for snow than the wider ones like the Champlain or Hudson Valleys. 

I don't know what the seasonal total is here since I just moved here on 3/1, but I've had 100" since then. I'm guessing DJF were somewhere around 100", so that would put my total near the 200" mark, maybe a little more, I don't know for sure. There's a COOP in Wilmington at 1,500' and he's had 169.5" and appears to be pretty reliable. 

You had like 48" in that one event, but how did you do in the others? 

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

LOL, what a weenie spot. How's the cold though? That's got to be brutal in mid winter. They probably had highs of -10 during the stretch we had after Christmas.

Rode for a week in N Maine the day after Xmas in temps of that magnitude, and even colder...and it can be draining..even when geared up with the best clothing available.  You don’t take off the gloves or keep the helmets open/off for more than a few short minutes at a time that’s for sure! 

Then add the wind chill of 80-100 mph+  speeds on the sleds at those temps...and your at temps that are rarely seen or experienced by most peeps.  Certainly a different ballgame for sure! 

20 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Disgusting. Your winter means cold rain here. Effing blows.

I wish we could get it further south... You can have the ice down there, I'll take snow.

I still think it ticks a bit warmer as I just have a hard time seeing temps that cold during the afternoon in April while its raining.

14 hours ago, alex said:

Here it was almost identical in total to last winter - 172" this winter vs 175" last winter. We had uninterrupted snow cover Nov - Apr, but last year had more consistent and frequent snow. If you take out the crazy 50" or so week, this winter definitely would have been quite a bit behind last season. 

Some similarities to last year also, with 3 major snowstorms though that winter had a lot more mid-range events than this, or why it brought 20" more snow than this season (pending anything we might see over the weekend.)  Last winter was cold Dec and Mar, warm Jan-Feb.  This winter was brutally cold for about 2 weeks before-after New Years but meh for cold otherwise.  I'd give 17-18 a solid B for snow and C/C- for temps, probably a C+ overall, edging toward B-.  Hoping this next 5 days does it for messy cold this spring, but it's NNE so more yuck is likely.

Archived