• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Napril Fools? Pattern and Model Discussion . . .

HimoorWx

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

East winds kill EMA, anyways marathon runners in the 30's and 40's with rain/ice pellets not so good

In '85, came down Heartbreak Hill and quads cramped up and was reduced to a shuffle/walk...before I could work the cramps out, I turned onto Beacon Street at Cleveland Circle and was hit by a dramatic temperature drop and mist...somewhere between Washington Square and Coolidge Corner I had to drop out because I was shivering so badly.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The 2003 ice storm was pretty crazy, but it was the first week of April, like Apr 3-5th...so something in the 4/15-4/16 range would be pretty unprecedented for non-mountainous elevations. There was a pretty big one around 4/10 in 2013 I recall out in the plains, but that is a little easier to achieve out there than our region.

Ahh thanks, your memory is far better than mine.  I thought it was April 7-8 time frame.  

17 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

congrats skiing in powder while we nape in shorts tees and flip flops

index (10).png

Closing weekend too, everyone just wants sun and 50s, ha.  Heck even 40s would work at this point. 

Closing with the glades skiable straight to the base area and 85" on the ground at the Stake.

19 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Closing weekend too, everyone just wants sun and 50s, ha.  Heck even 40s would work at this point. 

Closing with the glades skiable straight to the base area and 85" on the ground at the Stake.

It's a crime.  Pico closed yesterday with the best base in the woods that we have had all year.  Thank god for the 6" of snow we got Friday so we could enjoy it as long as you ignored the crunch.

28 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Why the hell would your place close with so much snow still on the ground, and great skiing ...is it that nobody comes after a certain date??  

Just now, CoastalWx said:

You should see out west. Tons of snow and

They closed already. 

Every year there are resorts out there that close with like 10-12 foot bases, lol.

But a lot of it has to do with the land leases they have...the are required to close before certain dates. The ones that don't have those restrictions and choose to go as late as possible can usually milk the season well into May (and places like A-basin go into June/July)

3 hours ago, Skivt2 said:

It's a crime.  Pico closed yesterday with the best base in the woods that we have had all year.  Thank god for the 6" of snow we got Friday so we could enjoy it as long as you ignored the crunch.

3 hours ago, WinterWolf said:

Why the hell would your place close with so much snow still on the ground, and great skiing ...is it that nobody comes after a certain date??  

I've made my peace with it a long time ago... because I don't blame places for closing when you see the numbers.  Today, a couple inches of fresh snow, mid-winter type conditions under full sunshine.  Very few people showed up.  Same conditions and weather in January and it would've been cranking.  I wish we could change skier behavior to have less people show up in November and more in April.  November is crazy busy for very limited skiing on questionable conditions... but in April there's no takers, with an 88" natural snowpack on the upper mountain and not a bare spot to be found from top to bottom, side to side.

The ONLY thing that creates a busy day this time of year, is sunshine and a high in the 50s.  Then it turns into a beach party.  People are done with cold temperatures, winter skiing, and even snowfall.  It would take a 12" powder day to really get some people out.

38 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I've made my peace with it a long time ago... because I don't blame places for closing when you see the numbers.  Today, a couple inches of fresh snow, mid-winter type conditions under full sunshine.  Very few people showed up.  Same conditions and weather in January and it would've been cranking.  I wish we could change skier behavior to have less people show up in November and more in April.  November is crazy busy for very limited skiing on questionable conditions... but in April there's no takers, with an 88" natural snowpack on the upper mountain and not a bare spot to be found from top to bottom, side to side.

The ONLY thing that creates a busy day this time of year, is sunshine and a high in the 50s.  Then it turns into a beach party.  People are done with cold temperatures, winter skiing, and even snowfall.  It would take a 12" powder day to really get some people out.

Grateful for Killington which is why we buy their season pass every year.  7-8 weeks of skiing left for us.  Assuming they are open until Memorial Day we will have 105 days in this year.  All the true addicts end up at Killington.

1 hour ago, Skivt2 said:

Grateful for Killington which is why we buy their season pass every year.  7-8 weeks of skiing left for us.  Assuming they are open until Memorial Day we will have 105 days in this year.  All the true addicts end up at Killington.

Is that because Rutland is close by?

5 hours ago, WinterWolf said:

Northern Maine has even more than that!!  Snowmobiling and full grooming still ongoing!!  What a year for sledders up there this year...and in the U.P. as well.  

Winter rules still in these areas!! 

Still snow up in Tug Hill and Old Forge area of the Adirondacks. But unless you have access to private trails, all of the club run grooming stopped on April 1st, and the state trails are closed.

Was it you that told me that April 15th is the end for Maine?  I assume the situation is similar there, where the grooming stops but if there is still snow people will go on private trails if they are allowed.  

4 hours ago, WinterWolf said:

I asked that question at Waterville Valley years ago. I was skiing on May 1st and there was 90% trails open...but hardly anyone there  The skiing was unreal.  What I was told is that it is really a perception thing.  The further winter is from the minds of people who don't live near the skiing (Boston, etc.) then the less likely they will venture out to come north and ski.  People like Kevin are in poison-lawn-chemical-mode and many others are thinking of golfing on even worse chemically infected golf courses.  There are die-hard skiiers just not enough to justify staying open.  Unless you are Killington and want to push Superstar till July 4th which I would think if there were a year to make that push this would be the year. 

On 4/6/2018 at 11:53 PM, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Where are you located right now?

My apologies for not getting back. I was in Thornton at the time. We ended up with about 4". Not much more up at Waterville (they reported 5" at the top, 3" at the bottom). But it was a dense snow. Might have had about 0.5" water content.

Archived