• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Napril Fools? Pattern and Model Discussion . . .

HimoorWx

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

I'm an empirical evidence kind of guy...everyone has a biased view of their own backyard. So the empirical evidence is an easy way to reduce the bias. We can't completely remove it since we don't have reliable data for every point in SNE. The empirical evidence though does show that the Cape gets more snow on average than the coast of SW CT. North of the merritt inland a bit? Different story...that area seems to average comfortable in the mid to high 30s (and getting into the low 40s once in the DXR to the hills around Waterbury),. I've been parsing coop data for 15+ years now and even trying to reconstruct bad data, so I've looked at snowfall in SNE probably more than anyone...so I feel pretty comfortable making that general statement.

My only point was that every area can score big ...at any given time. SNE does big synoptic storms well.  Ya..I was not doubting your experience or knowledge on this...just pointing out all the areas get big hits from big storms from time to time. 

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yep, its coming....ORH had 17 consecutive years of no below average snow seasons between 1955-1956 ad 1971-1972.....then even though the rest of the 1970s weren't that bad, starting in 1978-1979 it was a 13 year run of beast-in-the-shed mode while Cape Cod was getting 20" snowstorms every 3 years and the mid-atlantic did pretty well.

Kev and I have been waiting for you scooters and Rays regression to the mean for a decade now, ever think maybe a norm has developed?

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Kev and I have been waiting for you scooters and Rays regression to the mean for a decade now, ever think maybe a norm has developed?

No, because things can go on for a while. Just look that the 1950s through the early 1970s. Cyclical behavior is not uncommon.

39 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Didn't realize they averaged that much there.  But you can see the change to favoring eastern areas, they haven't had a 100" season in 20 years (96-97) Seems like a long stretch to not get to 100" for a place that averages 90". They did get to 100" this year.

They cleaned up in the '50/'60/'70s.  But there recent per decade average is decently lower from the those glory years. The past 30 years its closer to 75-77" it seems like looking at the COOP data.

1991-2020 (so far) averages 77.0 but the median is 80.4.  Doesn't help their recent average that their 5 least snowy winters, and all those with <50", have occurred during that timespan, with 15-16 leading the retreat.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

But a coastal front is different from deformation banding. I need to see what Steve meant. A coastal front results in low level enhancement to snow or even rain. The deformation banding is a function of forcing near the mid levels where the DGZ is usually located. I think you could argue that there is a relative climo spot for these. The typical rt 128 in MA down to near or NW of PVD into ern CT. But this is very generic and also various with every storm. So that is even tough to debate.

ask Eck, relative to the rest of LI, that zone depicted on the map is a jackpot zone in coastals, western end and eastern end not so much.

16 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

geezus will this winter just f*cking die

Ha ha !   

...I look at this way, .. and obviously the following sentiment has been replayed many times over the years, but, if April isn't going to be very nice, the alternative entertainment is to get these late snow chances.  Maybe we can break some records... 

My own proclivity to lament April is rooted in the idea that it will be like today ... forever.  I swear, not only does April weather more typically suck giant donkey ballz ... time dilation must be a measurable phenomenon while it does it!   

Although, ironically ...the worst of that I ever personally experienced was May, 2005... over the longer term, the only thing good about April is that without it ...we can't get to summer. 

Archived