• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Napril Fools? Pattern and Model Discussion . . .

HimoorWx

Just now, CoastalWx said:

You living in a boring part of MA where there be dragons. How is MA boring? You could not pay me enough to live in FL.

I used to live in Natick....which is also boring.  Sure Boston is cool, but I'm not a city dweller. The Cape is just filled with traffic for 2 months of the year for everyone to pile onto rocky and sea-weedy beaches, and then the cape is just cold and windy with misery mist or clouds the remainder of the year. 

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

He is sandwiched in a dead zone between the best parts of MA.  

I went to UMass and I did love it out there....most favorite part of MA for me. Holyoke Range...Mt tom, great mountain biking, good pike fishing in Oxbow, great local food.  Tight stuff.  

Anyway I'm way off topic. 

12 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

This was the best W CT snow season in many years. Many , many years. Every coastal they scored on. That doesn’t happen a lot 

For my area in SW Coastal CT it was the best year in terms of total snowfall since 2013 2014, which was better. This year is slightly better than 2014 2015 by 3.5 inches. 

This area cannot complain since we have had only 4 below average snowfall winters this century!

SW CT has been absolutely blessed with snowfall this century.

I guess the one complaint about the past several years is that our last major storm jackpot was 2013.

9 hours ago, CT Rain said:

That map isn't all that good.

I struggle with Windham Co sometimes figuring out how to draw snow contours out that way because we don't get many obs from places other than KGINX. 

I thought the map was great. It outlines exactly where the terrain/ hills are. Much of Windham county is not elevated and most maps always include the whole county in higher amounts while leaving out some of Tolland county, which is almost all elevated to some degree.

17 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

I used to live in Natick....which is also boring.  Sure Boston is cool, but I'm not a city dweller. The Cape is just filled with traffic for 2 months of the year for everyone to pile onto rocky and sea-weedy beaches, and then the cape is just cold and windy with misery mist or clouds the remainder of the year. 

Dude, you need to get out. Maybe you mean Cape Anne? 

12 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

NW Hills crush the Eastern Hills. SWCT hills more than the valley and all more than the southern coast from BDR to GON 

0XQ4VkV.gif

This is generally a good map with the exception of the south coast which should be in the 30 to 40 from BDR west.

It is only represented this low because BDR ALWAYS UNDER REPORTS BY A LOT.

Sorry had to use caps but their under reporting causes maps like this.

4 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

From NWS. This shows the idea of east vs west coast of CT. Again BDR under reporting causes this. The 30 to 35 should extend to the coast in SWCT.

snowclimo.PNG.c0830fa2f85b0a478bb99a7d857090c5.PNG

The reason BDR and GON are "underreporting" is that they are basically on the sound, I mean literally. Using GON and WST as representative of the SECT SWRI areas is really not smart. People who live there totally understand that anyone within a mile of the ocean gets much less snow. Even just north of GON in Northern GON you have these huge differences. Stats lie a lot and Mets who use them without local climo knowledge are missing the boat. Lumping all of SECT into GON makes zero sense. Q's map is great just needs to hug the shore more .

39 minutes ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

Stats don't lie with BDL 53" vs Kevin 78"I believe.   The shadow is worse north of you.

I don’t mind averaging less than Kevin.....I’m not in la la land about where I live however it’d be nice to get those 53” without a god damn horrendous month like we had this February.....the valley effect is less of a thing for me than the flavor of the winter and how I get my 53” and how the pack behaves....I think that’s what I was getting at 

29 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I thought the map was great. It outlines exactly where the terrain/ hills are. Much of Windham county is not elevated and most maps always include the whole county in higher amounts while leaving out some of Tolland county, which is almost all elevated to some degree.

I agree , Ryan didn't offer up any better so I have no idea what he finds wrong

2 minutes ago, ice1972 said:

I don’t mind averaging less than Kevin.....I’m not in la la land about where I live however it’d be nice to get those 53” without a god damn horrendous month like we had this February.....the valley effect is less of a thing for me than the flavor of the winter and how I get my 53” and how the pack behaves....I think that’s what I was getting at 

Don’t worry though..he turns into a valley girl mid month. 

55 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

yeah for snow it's been good.  I'm just saying besides snow it's a pretty boring state, probably the most boring besides Delaware, but MA is boring too.  Like VT, CA, FL, CO, HI are just cooler places to live that's all. 

Just a Dumb Post period.  Holy Smokes.  CT has lots to do, and such a varied landscape period.  And it happens to be the richest state in the union lol...

Florida is flat and sweltering...sand and swamp.  If you like the heat...then it's fine.  Other than that...forget it.   CA is going in the dumper with regards to it's economy....but a beautiful state as far as it's geography goes.  Every state has it's good and bad.  

9 hours ago, Whineminster said:

Nowhere in CT is "great"  for snow, but I feel they are far enough NE to get benchmark coastals but far enough Southwest to get Mid-Atlantic storms too.  Otherwise CT is pretty blahhh in most other regards, not just snow. 

Depends on one's definition of great.  Norfolk, at 1340' in the NW hills, averages 91", which is 1-2" more than Farmington in the Maine foothills.  In 1955-56 Norfolk had 178", which would be #3 all time at CAR.  In 2/61 their snowpack reached 55".  That all floats my boat for "great".
(And I think those NW hills get more than the NE primarily because they're several hundred feet higher)

My earlier guess for the current storm - half an inch of sleety mush - turned out to be wildly optimistic.  At 7 AM I'd had 0.06" of 33° RA with a few mangled flakes at the start.  Friday now seems to be starving for qpf, Saturday a whiff (though if the grandkids in SNJ get another 3-5" to play in, that's a win), and while Tues-Wed looks good at this distance, by then my avg max is 50 so it's shoveling sand against the tide.  (Though I've got an important forest research meeting in Orono Wednesday, so maybe we will get the snow from that one.   ;)  :weenie:)

10 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

The reason BDR and GON are "underreporting" is that they are basically on the sound, I mean literally. Using GON and WST as representative of the SECT SWRI areas is really not smart. People who live there totally understand that anyone within a mile of the ocean gets much less snow. Even just north of GON in Northern GON you have these huge differences. Stats lie a lot and Mets who use them without local climo knowledge are missing the boat. Lumping all of SECT into GON makes zero sense. Q's map is great just needs to hug the shore more .

Agreed

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I like 3-5” N and W of 84

Could be. In general though 1-3 with maybe 4-5 hills and higher spots. But it's cold with decent snow growth too. 

Weekend on the euro is less Bruce Willis with some N-NE flow from 925-850 in srn spots. Tough north of pike. Would like to see one jump again because the good fronto is very close by.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

You living in a boring part of MA where there be dragons. How is MA boring? You could not pay me enough to live in FL.

Ditto!   The other states he mentioned I can see but FL is ugly and devoid of any cultural advantage.

Archived