• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Napril Fools? Pattern and Model Discussion . . .

HimoorWx

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I think CT is in a nice spot...they often catch the tail end of mid atl death bands just before the systems occlude, while also sticking out enough to catch the LI/sne miller Bs. 

Thank you Ray...I agree completely.   I don’t have the foggiest idea what Wineminster is talking about....Total BS.

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Thanks!  Ok so the climo is fairly similar for similar latitudes but an ever so slight SW to NE axis to it.

Groton/Lyme/New London County has really low snowfall averages...some of those places only average 25-30"/year, or less than parts of NYC. Interestingly, they also average less than parts of Long Island's North Shore, which is 30-35" in spots.

I'm sure Danbury averages more than Ledyard, and Greenwich more than Groton.

Of course, everyone has had well above average snowfall recently. NYC needs only 35" more by Dec 2020 to average 30" snow/year for the decade.

1 minute ago, nzucker said:

Groton/Lyme/New London County has really low snowfall averages...some of those places only average 25-30"/year, or less than parts of NYC. Interestingly, they also average less than parts of Long Island's North Shore, which is 30-35" in spots.

Of course, everyone has had well above average snowfall recently. NYC needs only 35" more by Dec 2020 to average 30" snow/year for the decade.

Also the CT River Valley thing is overplayed IMO.....

1 hour ago, Whineminster said:

Nowhere in CT is "great"  for snow, but I feel they are far enough NE to get benchmark coastals but far enough Southwest to get Mid-Atlantic storms too.  Otherwise CT is pretty blahhh in most other regards, not just snow. 

well most of ct has just crushed it over and over again recently

3 hours ago, nzucker said:

Right.  I'm sure Mystic/Noank gets the least amount of snow in Connecticut. I'm sure most of the Bronx and upper part of queens gets more snow than Mystic, and especially the middle part of long island on the Suffolk/Nassau line which the PNS reports always seem to kick butt.

Just as the city of Newport and Block Island gets the least amount of snow in RI and of course Nantucket in MA.  This year is an exception but if I'm a snow lover I'd rather live in CAPE COD Ma Harwich than Mystic because it is impossible for extreme SE CT to get 35 inch snow bombs like the Outer Cape or blizzards like 1987, 1999, events that most new Englanders seem to forget because these were private cape events.

Weenies who frequently drive from SE New England to NYC will tell you to look at the snowpiles at the mcdonalds rest stops on 95.  The piles get higher as you drive westward.  Or take a drive from the 95/395 merge in SE CT, drive north 10 miles or so heading to Mohegan sun and you'll see a nice difference in snow depths.  Or take a drive in RI at the 95/295 merge in Warwick, drive a few miles into Johnston and you'll notice a difference.  Or drive several miles along the RI border on 146 into southern Worcester county and you'll notice a nice difference.  Or drive 15 miles along 95 into interior SE MA from Attleboro into Walpole and you'll notice a nice difference.

It's a great part of the country if you love snow and like to study little micro-climates in populated, non-mountainous areas.

Saturday still looks like a Bruce Willis setup...maybe south coast can cash in. 

I want to see at least a 100 mile bump north to get excited about that one. 

Friday and Monday/Tuesday are more interesting up this way. 

13 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Saturday still looks like a Bruce Willis setup...maybe south coast can cash in. 

I want to see at least a 100 mile bump north to get excited about that one. 

Friday and Monday/Tuesday are more interesting up this way. 

GYX not excited about Friday up here...just calling for an inch and then rain.  I agree Mon-Tues is interesting and has been for a while.  I figure we will get something big up here and perhaps through all of SNE, and that will be the pattern changer storm.

6 hours ago, codfishsnowman said:

well most of ct has just crushed it over and over again recently

yeah for snow it's been good.  I'm just saying besides snow it's a pretty boring state, probably the most boring besides Delaware, but MA is boring too.  Like VT, CA, FL, CO, HI are just cooler places to live that's all. 

4 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

yeah for snow it's been good.  I'm just saying besides snow it's a pretty boring state, probably the most boring besides Delaware, but MA is boring too.  Like VT, CA, FL, CO, HI are just cooler places to live that's all. 

You living in a boring part of MA where there be dragons. How is MA boring? You could not pay me enough to live in FL.

Archived