• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit

1 minute ago, Snow88 said:

2-4

I think the majority is going to be on colder surfaces.

It would be nice to get 4 inches of snow in April.  And it's possible we might even get another snow event later on, somewhere between the 7-10th?  Cold air will be sticking around.

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, jm1220 said:

NAM would be a quick few inch snow event, especially I-80 and south. Look for another bump or two north though at the last minute. I'm on board with at least some accumulation especially outside the city given that it'll be at night, and intensity should be moderate for a time. Probably wouldn't stick much on pavement, and what falls will be gone Mon afternoon. I saw Don mention the 4/7/03 storm in the other thread, and although this might not be as robust it could end up better than currently shown given the warmer, moist overrunning from the south. There could be a nice band for 4-6 hours where the best fronto happens. 

JM, he's talking about the possible snow storm next Friday (the 6th) and analoging that to the 2003 event.  If we get this one on the 2nd first, there's a chance we could pull off a rare two snowstorms in April!  This happened in 1982 and 1996.

6 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Seems like that kinda April....hope it happens; I've only seen 2 such events in my lifetime ( other areas to the east and N have seen a few more )

16" here on Eastern LI in April '96, so we can certainly score in April.   That added to the  4" in Nov '95.   Without that November and April '95/'96 wouldnt be in the record books here.  

The 12z NAM showed measurable snow in Boston, New York City, and Philadelphia. The last time all three cities received measurable snowfall in April was April 7, 2003 when Boston picked up 2.0", New York City received 4.0", and Philadelphia was blanketed by 1.8".

Since 1950, New York City has had only 4 April snowstorms where 2" or more snow fell. So, at least if the NAM's forecast is accurate, this would be a relatively uncommon event.

WE literally just got nam’d 

the nam snowmap is actually identical to the post Super Bowl snowstorm on February 3rd 2014. It was 60 the day before on the Super Bowl and snow started around 4am after a brief period of rain. Central Park received 8 inches of heavy snow. This snowstorm looks to be all snow. 

Nam12z3DA2C7E2-CCF6-4EBA-ADEF-0C32A6A6B2FA.png

Nam 3k 12z7DF91F64-1B7A-4D9E-8D26-596AE04E0D26.png

Nam 3k total snowfallD668ECA2-DAF6-413B-BACB-F3A345E65D0E.png

Nam 12z total snowfall868AFD4F-9D41-4AD7-83D8-AE029F651E91.png

1 hour ago, Snowshack said:

16" here on Eastern LI in April '96, so we can certainly score in April.   That added to the  4" in Nov '95.   Without that November and April '95/'96 wouldnt be in the record books here.  

We had 4" in Nov 95 here and 14" in April 96. Remove that and there was 77" for Dec-March, which would still be a record at my location.

I'm still scratching my head how we managed to hit 60" this winter and it might not be done yet.  A little like Feb - March 1967 delayed by a month.

3 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

We had 4" in Nov 95 here and 14" in April 96. Remove that and it was still 77" for Dec-March, which would still be a record at my location.

I'm still scratching my head how we managed to hit 60" this winter and it might not be done yet.  A little like Feb - March 1967 delayed by a month.

It’s just unusual to lose the pattern like we did in February and see it come back in a La Niña.  That almost never happens 

• Rjay pinned this topic
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic

Archived