• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335

11 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

A friend of mine was in the Park by the castle where they measure and measured 5.5-5.7 inches at 9AM, it's doubtful nothing accumulated after 9 AM.

How many inches do they owe us through the years, and why do they under measure 90% of the time and hardly ever over measure? Mind boggling.

Central Park should be a few inches over what they have this year, which is a recurring theme every winter. If they have 41” this winter it’s probably really 45”. 

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Paragon said:

April snow is really memorable, it should be enjoyed.  Spring is the most boring time of the year, so if it can be avoided, it's fine by me.  Go right from winter to summer.  Also, the pollen season is a worse hell than any kind of weather.  I would sooner get a direct hit from another Sandy then experience the hell that is the pollen season.

I think Dec-Mar is a long enough window for snow and cold, it’s gotten old now. And I hate when we go from one extreme to the other, spring seems like it’s going extinct, I’m sure April will be BN to N, and then we’ll be trapped on the wrong side of an omega block pattern for most of May before summer hits us like a ton of bricks.

3 inches here, get it out of here.

Just now, dmillz25 said:

More like 47” they under measured in about every storm except like 2

I’m up to 47-48”. Crazy considering how warm Feb was and how I wanted to scream at the early March events. What a spoiled brat I am that I moan about a 48” winter in Long Beach and half a foot new on 4/2. ;) 

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

I’m up to 47-48”. Crazy considering how warm Feb was and how I wanted to scream at the early March events. What a spoiled brat I am that I moan about a 48” winter in Long Beach and half a foot new on 4/2. ;) 

Yeah 4 feet in LB is nearly unheard of. When I was growing up in Oceanside that would have been akin to the end of the world, the next ice age and all o' that :) 

6 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

I’m at 50.7” on the season 5 miles SE of the park. Alot of areas in the city are at 45-52” on the season. And yes we have been spoiled 

11 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Yeah 4 feet in LB is nearly unheard of. When I was growing up in Oceanside that would have been akin to the end of the world, the next ice age and all o' that :) 

I grew up in Oceanside too.  The best event I saw there was the Lindsey storm 2/9/1969  Had a snow drift up to 15 feet with one big one across the whole front of my parent's house of 10 feet at 400 Club Court.  

3 minutes ago, Mitchel Volk said:

I grew up in Oceanside too.  The best event I saw there was the Lindsey storm 2/9/1969  Had a snow drift up to 15 feet with one big one across the whole front of my parent's house of 10 feet at 400 Club Court.  

My brother and I built a snow tunnel during that one; snow gear hadn't evolved much in the 60's from what it had been for decades; bulky snowsuits and rubber boots with metal clips, and the old wooden sleds, flexible flyers IIRC. We looked like the kids in A Christmas Story.

17 minutes ago, dmillz25 said:

I’m at 50.7” on the season 5 miles SE of the park. Alot of areas in the city are at 45-52” on the season. And yes we have been spoiled 

I'm at 50.2" in NE Queens. LGA had a terrible unwarranted measurement for the Jan. blizzard that is skewing the totals big time.

1 hour ago, Brian5671 said:

Agree-our school district didn't even call a delay-they figured it would melt on roads and not amount to much.  They sent an apology later one saying they screwed it up.

We are off this week, but one school is making up days because of an asbestos closure. They made sure to call today and remind everyone in that school that they would be open, following a delayed opening schedule. It was rather nasty early on, but my kid made it out to Rutgers Cook campus ok.

19 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Boxing Day had some of the biggest drifts that I got to experience while living in Long Beach.

BL12103.jpg.c6722429cf113956c31044aad7730780.jpg

The drifts from 1/4 in lido on the south side of the golf course were incredible. Up to the second story on several houses.

6” does it on the UWS and going with 5.5” in wantagh based on reports from here. Solid event any time of year 

15 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

With 4.4" snow, Islip's seasonal total now stands at 65.7". That is the 3rd highest figure on record. Only 1995-96 (73.5") and 1977-78 (68.0") had more snow.

Amazing how much snow Long Island gets these days. The 5" that I got today brings me to 41" for the season. Amazing how much less we've gotten here just a few miles west of NYC. NE New Jersey has really been the screwzone, but 41" is still a nice season.

12 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Yes. More than half fell after March 1. The March-April snowfall total at Islip is 36.3".

Stinks that it all fell in March.  Would have been one heck of a stretch if these 5 storms occurred starting Dec 22nd with bouts of cold in between and just think how much better they would have been with climo on there side.  I love snow but March/April snow is upsetting since its gone in the blink of an eye.  I like it when it snows and snows with cold all around and the streets stay white making my neighborhood look like a VT ski town.  Just my weird opinion/obsession but its still nice to wake up to complete cakage.

53 minutes ago, Mitchel Volk said:

Apparently you've got a couple of years on me ;) I do remember that one though, we were still living in Canarsie, I was 2 1/2 at the time but, I have a vague recollection of snow up to my waist.

1 hour ago, Mitchel Volk said:

I was in college in Arkansas and missed it. It certainly, as I recall, didn’t do much for the Mayors popularity.

Archived