Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, rgwp96 said:

2h3x2zq.jpg

Yes ,6.8 here . By the way here is what a snowruler looks like . Just took this pic . Notice it’s in .10ths 

Incredible storm honestly.  Did not expect near 7 inches in April.

I am used to measuring in very small increments (engine building on the side).  Something thinner than the hair on your head makes a difference when it comes to bearing clearances, so by habit I like things to be extremely precise lol.

10 minutes ago, psv88 said:

You guys got hammered by that band, another great event for the South Shore!

As soon as that band shifted to my east, the temp quickly rose to 35 degrees now. Even though the snow has stopped, the big chunks of snow falling from the trees makes it look like it's still snowing.

3 minutes ago, bluewave said:

As soon as that band shifted to my east, the temp quickly rose to 35 degrees now. Even though the snow has stopped, the big chunks of snow falling from the trees makes it look like it's still snowing.

Melting like crazy now, but great rates. Very nice event all around to say the least!! I guess I’ll go with what you guys have which is 5-6” since I’m not home now and had to commute in this garbage (roads were terrible). That would put me at 47-48” for the season. I was worried about being screwed from subsidence again but certainly didn’t happen. 

6.1" here.  The April 2003 storm was 6.2"  4/9-10/1996 we had a foot.  Temp up to 33 with just a little light graupel still falling.

I measured on a board today.  Just for giggles I tried carefully measuring in the grass.  That came out around 7" even though I was being careful not to push the ruler too far.  For you guys who don't use a board (or "eyeball").

Season total is 65"

8 minutes ago, doncat said:

Seems my 3.5" is one of the lower totals...LE of 0.40" agrees.

Sounds like they were waffling on 2-4 or 3-5 for our area, but some folks near me got up to 6, Metuchen reported 4. Not bad for April, but also about where most of the storms performed IMBY this year, the exceptions being Jan 4 and March 22 ( the only big one for me ). Still wound up with some 40 or more inches this year. Feb took a time out; a couple more storms there ( we did have one, about....4 inches! ) and I'd be looking at 50 or more, which is not common around here.

10 minutes ago, Rjay said:

About the same here

An amazing 4th event for Long Island since March 7th with 6" or more. This would be an impressive feat to pull off even during the heart of winter in under 30 days.

Sayville               6.6  1010 AM  4/02  NWS Employee 

Just now, jm1220 said:

Another laughable JFK total. At least Central Park did its job today. 

Not really. Central Park was 4.8" at 8am. LGA was 3.7" at 8am.

And their final totals are both 5.5". NYC was under the same exact banding as LGA during this time. NYC should have been about 6.5"

9 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

The dynamics of this event on hi res models showed it definitely would produce for someone, even if for just a few hours. Glad it was more Euro like and widespread than what the NAM had. Probably should’ve been a warning given the 6” totals people areawide have. 

Agree-our school district didn't even call a delay-they figured it would melt on roads and not amount to much.  They sent an apology later one saying they screwed it up.

10 minutes ago, ag3 said:

Not really. Central Park was 4.8" at 8am. LGA was 3.7" at 8am.

And their final totals are both 5.5". NYC was under the same exact banding as LGA during this time. NYC should have been about 6.5"

A friend of mine was in the Park by the castle where they measure and measured 5.5-5.7 inches at 9AM, it's doubtful nothing accumulated after 9 AM.

How many inches do they owe us through the years, and why do they under measure 90% of the time and hardly ever over measure? Mind boggling.

4 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

A friend of mine was in the Park by the castle where they measure and measured 5.5-5.7 inches at 9AM, it's doubtful nothing accumulated after 9 AM.

How many inches do they owe us through the years, and why do they under measure 90% of the time and hardly ever over measure? Mind boggling.

.05" since 9am so likely they got another .3 or .4" but by then compacting had begun

Archived