Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring and Summer Banter 2018

nrgjeff

5 hours ago, jaxjagman said:

I really wish the NCAA and NFL would both have the same rules.Keep it simple.

Too many egos for that to work.  I agree with you though, nfl is gonna sway the see saw too much with one of these rule changes eventually and then there gonna be screwed.  NCAA is a joke anyways.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah they both are screwed up.One rule i dont like in college is the pass interference,that should be a spot foul.

NFL can't even figure out what a catch is.You can throw to the sideline and all you have to do is have two feet down and control.You throw horizontal you have to have two feet down,control plus make a football player move.The heck with the player football move.When you have two feet down and control that should be a catch,if someone comes and waste you and you fumble,too bad, so sad.:P

• Like 2

Wanted to post on this for a while, but it makes me feel a bit like I should be wearing a foil hat when I think about it.  I've noticed that there are a lot of times but definitely not all the time, when there is a weather system or favorable conditions for storms that there is often a heavier bullseye of precip right near Watts Bar nuclear plant.  Its not always over the plant but sometimes is, usually its just east, or north of the plant.  I see this in a lot of events when checking both Hytop Radar, and MRX radar and both show the same thing.  I've read a few stories on nuclear plants effecting really a micro-scale area with its steam discharge, one of the most interesting I read several years back was in PA. (Nuclear Plant Snow Article LiveScience) very interesting read.  Was curious if the effect I see at Watts Bar is something similar.  See attached radar image from MRX, Hytop corroborates the estimate.  Could be coincidental, but I just wonder if there is the possibility of the mass amount of steam released has any potential impact on the micro scale.

The image below the larger diameter circle is the area I usually see these anomalies the smaller circle is where the plant is located, just to the northwest inside the larger circle there are measurements over 2" precipitation .  Any thoughts on this?  Should I put my foil hat back on?

BTW lurking waiting for winter....

Nuke Precipitable Water.jpg

• Like 3

Actually Oak Ridge has a secret program at there; goal is to cause flash flooding over drug crops, terrorist bases, or Russian non-regular forces in Eastern Europe.

Just kidding! It has something to do with outside investors trying to undercut Chattanooga FC. Well, actually it's not that either...

Theta E might be enhanced on the micro-scale above cooling towers. Coal plants sometimes use cooling towers too; so, they have nothing to do with the reactor. Anyway thanks to the Bernoulli Effect inside the towers, with their shape, it does become cooler and humid inside the tower. Air rises from below and of course out the top. Air warms back to ambient temps (or very slightly higher) at the top. Very slightly higher is the heat transfer which cooled the water for the Plant. One can see from the steam that Theta E is slightly elevated. 

Inside of those towers is pretty interesting. It is like a giant car radiator with air moving over the snaking pipes from below to above. Anyway you have that Theta E air already rising a bit, which could explain the micro-climate described above. Effect only matters if the weather pattern already favors showers; otherwise, steam just evaporates right above the tower.

Hope that's interesting. Also hope my dry humor works in banter.  Cheers!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, nrgjeff said:

Actually Oak Ridge has a secret program at there; goal is to cause flash flooding over drug crops, terrorist bases, or Russian non-regular forces in Eastern Europe.

Just kidding! It has something to do with outside investors trying to undercut Chattanooga FC. Well, actually it's not that either...

Theta E might be enhanced on the micro-scale above cooling towers. Coal plants sometimes use cooling towers too; so, they have nothing to do with the reactor. Anyway thanks to the Bernoulli Effect inside the towers, with their shape, it does become cooler and humid inside the tower. Air rises from below and of course out the top. Air warms back to ambient temps (or very slightly higher) at the top. Very slightly higher is the heat transfer which cooled the water for the Plant. One can see from the steam that Theta E is slightly elevated. 

Inside of those towers is pretty interesting. It is like a giant car radiator with air moving over the snaking pipes from below to above. Anyway you have that Theta E air already rising a bit, which could explain the micro-climate described above. Effect only matters if the weather pattern already favors showers; otherwise, steam just evaporates right above the tower.

Hope that's interesting. Also hope my dry humor works in banter.  Cheers!

Hmm...  Might explain why my Bell Peppers haven't done well this year, surely they can correctly identify my bell peppers from space and that they are not the illegal variety their secret program is intended for. :maprain:

I live about 10 miles or so as the crow flies to the NE of Watts Bar, so repeated radar views over the years especially after they brought the second reactor online I have noticed it enough to make me wonder if it were possible to enhance rainfall on the extreme local area.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Runman292 said:

Good afternoon,  everyone. It's been a little while since I last posted on here. I'll be posting more as winter comes closer. I also want to give an update as far as where I live. I live near La Follette now, so any reports on current conditions I post will likely be in that area.

You should definitely see an uptick in winter weather vs Knoxville, depending on the elevation you live at, a pretty decent one if it's above 1500 feet.

5 hours ago, John1122 said:

You should definitely see an uptick in winter weather vs Knoxville, depending on the elevation you live at, a pretty decent one if it's above 1500 feet.

I'm a little bit south of downtown La Follette. My driveway starts at the top and goes down into a valley where my house is. I think the entrance to my driveway is around 1400 feet.

22 hours ago, Runman292 said:

I'm a little bit south of downtown La Follette. My driveway starts at the top and goes down into a valley where my house is. I think the entrance to my driveway is around 1400 feet.

There are some high ridges in that area, 1400-1800 feet. In a normal year you'll double or triple Knoxville area snow. Mainly because it will snow in the area more often. Southern Campbell County tends to be a sharp dividing line in many events.

Football cannot start soon enough. As Carvers states in a couple threads, this weather pattern is dreadfully boring. Even that Mid South Enhanced Risk is a snoozer for wind only. I wanted to write about outflow boundaries and OK upper winds, but nah it's 2018.

So thankful the beautiful eclipse was last year. Today or tomorrow would have been a debacle. Sweet 2017 memories abound..

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Last week was week 0 for the football season, and I enjoyed the CSU/Hawaii matchup(before I fell asleep).  But tonight is the beginning of a great weekend(tonight is technically not the weekend) of college football that will last until Monday.  Too much of a good thing?  Maybe!  One of the best sports weekends of the year...GBO!

• Like 3

I actually think Tennessee will upset West Virginia and start out 3-0 before heading into its difficult conference schedule. Tennessee will need that upset win as I can't realistically see them winning more than 7 games this year. Perhaps 8 if they get lucky. The conference is just too strong and Pruitt and Helton do not yet have the depth and player personnel they need to sufficiently run their style of defense and offense. But I do think there is enough talent to coach up and win some games in close matchups. Though Tennessee has not won a game under this staff yet, I have already bought in that they are vastly superior to any staff we have had since the Fulmer era on paper. So I am cautiously optimistic here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Windspeed said:

I actually think Tennessee will upset West Virginia and start out 3-0 before heading into its difficult conference schedule. Tennessee will need that upset win as I can't realistically see them winning more than 7 games this year. Perhaps 8 if they get lucky. The conference is just too strong and Pruitt and Helton do not yet have the depth and player personnel they need to sufficiently run their style of defense and offense. But I do think there is enough talent to coach up and win some games in close matchups. Though Tennessee has not won a game under this staff yet, I have already bought in that they are vastly superior to any staff we have had since the Fulmer era on paper. So I am cautiously optimistic here.

Reasons to be cautiously optimistic.

1.  CBJ is at AL

2.  Pruitt is an coach that works on fundamentals/discipline and doesn't sugarcoat what he sees.  Straight talk is refreshing.  The staff he assembled is a good one.

3.  Totally different situation that prior coaching changes.  We have talent.  Not much depth, but talent is on the roster.  Literally the only thing I can say Butch did well.

4.  Trey Smith and Chance Hall on the left side.

5.  Depth at running back

6.  QB's with experience

7.  Capable, if not above average wide receivers

7.  We are being overlooked.  Rightfully so probably, but i feel good about being the underdog.

8.  (Probably my favorite) Almost unbelievably after the last 4 years, we have NO injuries heading into our first game against WV.  Usually by this time, we are down about 8 men. lol

9.  Strength and conditioning have reportedly made these guys bigger, faster, and more resilient.

10 You know we will play with a chip on our shoulders this year.  I'm not saying we will win more than 7, but I think we will be in more games than not.  I also think we will win all the games we are supposed to win.  I am looking through orange tinted glasses, but I think we raise a few eyebrows when we knock off WV tomorrow afternoon.  My prediction with fingers crossed, lol

Tennessee 31

West Virginia 27

• Like 4

I'm into full on show me mode. But I will say this, our schedule is pretty easy this year. We have more 4 and 5 star players on the roster than anyone in the East besides Georgia. Not sure why Florida is getting so much love, they were a trainwreck last year too. South Carolina benefited from everyone else in the East being awful besides Georgia. Won every close game basically. Kentucky is terrible, Vandy is worse, an average at best Missouri team hired Derrick Dooley to run it's offense. Alabama, Auburn and Georgia are the only three teams we play that clearly have more talent. If we beat every team we should beat and can go .500 against the teams we're closer to evenly matched with, we will get to a bowl game. Anything less this year and what little faith I have in Pruitt will be up in smoke.

Picking up my son from college @ Auburn  in the morning then going to Atlanta for Washington vs Auburn.Then staying for the Red Sox vs Braves game Monday afternoon.i'm gonna have to crush my piggy bank after this weekend.

I really wish Auburn #9 wasn't playing Washington #6 this early ,should be the game of the week.If we win it should vault us into the the top 5.But i'm not sure what this team will be,we already lost our top 2 WR's in the spring,plus no Keyron :(

• Like 2

I could have told you not to worry about Auburn winning. PAC 12 is so overrated by the West Coast media influence. Tennessee had a tough draw even at home. WVU athletics is tough. However the Total Disaster (tm) goes to Kansas losing at home to nobody. 

Oh and it looks hot here for six weeks. I will be back after Columbus Day and after Late Night college basketball. Might be Halloween. I'm done!

8 hours ago, nrgjeff said:

I could have told you not to worry about Auburn winning. PAC 12 is so overrated by the West Coast media influence. Tennessee had a tough draw even at home. WVU athletics is tough. However the Total Disaster (tm) goes to Kansas losing at home to nobody. 

Oh and it looks hot here for six weeks. I will be back after Columbus Day and after Late Night college basketball. Might be Halloween. I'm done!

I looked at those Weeklies and was like...

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Greetings all! Hope your summer has been great and you're all doing well. I'm looking forward to getting out of this warm pattern and into some real fall weather soon. ;) After such a disappointing (yet not unexpected) opening game for the Vols, I've decided to accept a better offer this Saturday. Instead of going to the game vs ETSU, I'm going to take a ride on this baby at the TRI on Saturday morning! If any of y'all are aviation enthusiasts, especially WW2 warbirds, I highly recommend heading to TRI this week to see this B25 Mitchell. It's one of 34 still flying. She's there now and will be there through Sunday. It's free to take a up close look outside and $10 each (or $20 for a family of 4) to go inside the bomber. Rides are also available for a price. I can't wait as this is a bucket list ride for me! 

I could use some good weather at 10am on Saturday if y'all can help me out in that area! LOL

b-25_takeoff.jpg

• Like 7