• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring and Summer Banter 2018

nrgjeff

Looks like y'all have been wet and hot while I've been hot and dry in the SW.  Came back and yard/ flowers had exploded. Even TROWAL dog was bigger and living up to her nickname as she was rampaging wherever she went!  

Here is a IMGUR album with some of the sky/ scenery photos from the trip. I threw a few petro/picto glyphs in there to make it educational; ;) .   https://imgur.com/a/WhaNVW9

Weather was dry and even too hot sometimes.  Caught some graupel or snow blobs at Bryce canyon from a cell that produced a flash flood near Capital Reef NP and caught a pic of a nice t-storm in the TX panhandle on the way back.  Other than that, mostly clear skies and a few clouds. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Kudos to Ryan Weathers for making the player of the year.My son played with him in Loretto Tn.Son of David Weathers.I remember him playing t-ball and watching him hit,the kids would gather over the right field fence waiting for him to hit one over the fence..lol.David ,his dad played in the majors for 18 seasons.The draft for MLB  starts tomorrow,he won't last to the Braves picking 8th or KC 18TH :( Mize of Auburn is going #1 just don't see Weathers going to far down as a LH pitcher

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/05/31/gatorade-national-baseball-player-year-ryan-weathers-mlb-draft-vanderbilt-loretto/658850002/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mexico over Germany in the WC. Call it June Madness. Iceland draw with Argentina was apparently just the appetizer.

Just returned from a Kansas boondoggle. I would not really call it a chase. Good to see old friends, drink good beer, and sing bad karaoke. 

I'm still not sure.. Kansas 100/60 and windy or Tennessee 92/70 no breeze. Hair dryer vs sauna. I miss :ski:

• Like 2

Been on vacation in southwest FL.  Managed to dodge the red tide by 48 hours(preceded us) and the Lake O water release never made it to our area.  We were blessed with a great, great week of weather - maybe the best I have ever had at the beach.  Cool mornings, light breeze, and rain only at night.  Saw some huge storms inland as the sea breeze forms them each evening.  Hey, here is a funny/scary story.  So, we stopped at the "Welcome to Florida" rest stop on the way down.  We hit the bathroom and were waiting on the rest of the crew while sitting on a bench just outside.  Bam! Lightning ripped overhead.  One of those popcorn storms had generated pretty quickly over us, and I did not pay attention to it on the way in.  Scared the heck out of us.   That is like the third random lightning strike that I have been around during the last 2-3 years.  Not a fan!  Made my ears ring for a couple of hours.

• Like 1

Wow, two hours! That is hard-core. It is funny how a heavy shower does nothing; then, a brand new updraft spits out lightning. 

Few years ago we were driving home and CG blasted about a mile ahead. We got there and sure enough, somebody's yard had a smoldering hole. 

When i lived in Jacksonville when the westerly winds kicked in it would fire up some good storms off the St.Johns river during the summer and like Carver said the sea breeze would hold everything back of the Inter Coastal Waterways in Jax.You could be at the beach and it'd be sunny but back to the west it would be black,miss those storms.

• Like 1

Currently in a panel with an NASA astrophysicist who is talking about the extremely low sunspot activity we are approaching over the next 2 to 3 years as she is linking them to extreme cold out breaks. She feels we are going into an extended minimum and so far she's mentioned that the little ice age featured 4 consecutive extended minimums and that the year without a summer also featured an extended minimum.  She has also spoken about an extended minimum in the late 1970s that led to those winters, including a downward peak that featured a July snow event in Michigan.  The panel is almost over, but I wanted to write that out while it was still fresh. 

• Like 4

On 6/30/2018 at 11:50 AM, John1122 said:

Currently in a panel with an NASA astrophysicist who is talking about the extremely low sunspot activity we are approaching over the next 2 to 3 years as she is linking them to extreme cold out breaks. She feels we are going into an extended minimum and so far she's mentioned that the little ice age featured 4 consecutive extended minimums and that the year without a summer also featured an extended minimum.  She has also spoken about an extended minimum in the late 1970s that led to those winters, including a downward peak that featured a July snow event in Michigan.  The panel is almost over, but I wanted to write that out while it was still fresh. 

I’m glad you said that because I was thinking about our deep freeze outbreak we had last winter and I was wondering if that could be a sign of a pattern for the next few winters for us in the Tennessee region and surrounding forum areas.  The extended minimum that u spoke of is interesting.  A lot of people have talked about the cold we had in West Tennessee last winter and how they’ve never seen measurable snow/ice be on the ground for so many days in a row like we got last year.  It was an intense cold outbreak, i for one would love to see more if this over the coming years.  Preferably with much more moisture so we can all captilize on a big snow from Memphis to Bristol!!!

On 6/20/2018 at 9:13 PM, Carvers Gap said:

Going to miss John Ward.  He was my eyes and ears for Tennessee football for many, many years.  He was awesome.

Amen Brotha.  He was a genuinely good human being and that is rare nowadays.  The stories from journalism and broadcasting guys who he helped out over the years is amazing.  He had a huge heart, and he was the best possible representative we could’ve had for Tennessee football. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AMZ8990 said:

I’m glad you said that because I was thinking about our deep freeze outbreak we had last winter and I was wondering if that could be a sign of a pattern for the next few winters for us in the Tennessee region and surrounding forum areas.  The extended minimum that u spoke of is interesting.  A lot of people have talked about the cold we had in West Tennessee last winter and how they’ve never seen measurable snow/ice be on the ground for so many days in a row like we got last year.  It was an intense cold outbreak, i for one would love to see more if this over the coming years.  Preferably with much more moisture so we can all captilize on a big snow from Memphis to Bristol!!!

It was as cold an outbreak I can recall here that featured no snow on the ground. I was subfreezing for almost a month straight. Had we been able to get snow cover, double digits below zero probably would have happened in my area. The scientist I was referring to said that we still are a few years from the low activity peak  of 24 but that we are already experiencing less sun activity than the lowest point of cycle 23.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned from Montana in the YNP area.  What a trip!  Fished and saw plenty of wildlife.  I have been many times, but this was a first for my kids.   And the weather...highs near 80(no humidity) and lows in the low to mid 40s.  Awesome.  Then to return home to highs in the upper 70s yesterday.  Even better.  Glad that we are getting a respite from the furnace this week.  I am sure that we will still have some Dog Days, but every day now is one more step to fall.  I now look forward to that first cool front that makes for blue skies and a cool morning which is probably at least 6-7 weeks away...but still.  

• Like 5

Follow up to my Friday night severe post. Neighbors and our kids were enjoying a summer evening (corn hole etc.) before the weather. We had the telescope out to watch the planets (between passing clouds). This month many are in great position for viewing.

Kids were amazed by Saturn (rings) and Jupiter (stripes and its own moons). Earlier they were surprised to see Venus in a phase like the moon. Mars being so close has greater than average detail. In July Mars is close to Earth and it makes a difference. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AMZ8990 said:

It’s nearly football time in Tennessee folks.   Anybody besides me think Tennessee can surpise some teams this year??

I am pumped for college and NFL this year! Only one week until the NFL preseason... just a matter of time until cold crisp Saturdays singing rocky top!

Having said that, I expect UT to do slightly better this year than last.... low bar haha

I am just looking forward to not watching UT fall apart emotionally when we things dont work out perfectly.. hopefully Pruit can channel some Saban stoicism :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Knoxtron said:

I am pumped for college and NFL this year! Only one week until the NFL preseason... just a matter of time until cold crisp Saturdays singing rocky top!

Having said that, I expect UT to do slightly better this year than last.... low bar haha

I am just looking forward to not watching UT fall apart emotionally when we things dont work out perfectly.. hopefully Pruit can channel some Saban stoicism :)

Me too, it’s been a long offseason without football!  I think there’s more talent in the roster then people realize.  Now whether or not Pruitt can develop it is another question.  I do think he’s the guy to turn us around though.  It’s a big recruiting weekend this Saturday too, look for Tennessee to pick a few up right when the dead period ends.  As for NFL, my chargers are gonna get it done this year!!

• Like 1

Anybody hear or feel the loud booms around Maryville the last few days?

I work for a geotechnical and geological consultant... we are thinking cave dome collapses or sinkholes soil-air dome collapses. Dry early summer lead to shrinkage cracks in soils which opened relic features in the residuum from the weathered parent bedrock, decent rainfall recently may have found thee easy access channnels to bedrock/soil interface? 

What do you guys think? Very interesting. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Knoxtron said:

Anybody hear or feel the loud booms around Maryville the last few days?

I work for a geotechnical and geological consultant... we are thinking cave dome collapses or sinkholes soil-air dome collapses. Dry early summer lead to shrinkage cracks in soils which opened relic features in the residuum from the weathered parent bedrock, decent rainfall recently may have found thee easy access channnels to bedrock/soil interface? 

What do you guys think? Very interesting. 

Well, nevermind there goes the mystery :poster_stupid:

"Then, late Friday evening, the USGS released an update, saying the University of Memphis determined that a quarry blast caused the magnitude 1.9 earthquake."

http://www.wvlt.tv/content/news/Maryville-police-Whole-building-shook-following-mysterious-booms--490006281.html

4 hours ago, Knoxtron said:

Well, nevermind there goes the mystery :poster_stupid:

"Then, late Friday evening, the USGS released an update, saying the University of Memphis determined that a quarry blast caused the magnitude 1.9 earthquake."

http://www.wvlt.tv/content/news/Maryville-police-Whole-building-shook-following-mysterious-booms--490006281.html

Weird. WBIR specifically reported this AM that Vulcan materials said they did no blasting at the time of the boom. And actually, a little bit later in this story, they ask Vulcan materials: "Carl VanHoozier, Community Relations Manager at Vulcan Materials Company, a quarry in Blount County, called WVLT News Friday night. On Friday night, he said, 'The USGS is absolutely incorrect. There was no quarry blast today, or anytime this week. A 2.1 earthquake is pretty extreme. Our blasts are controlled and small. It's an earthquake, it's not a quarry blast.' However, early Saturday morning, VanHoozier contacted WVLT to report that there had been a blast during the week, but it was on Tuesday, not on Friday." 

I think the mystery is still there and I like your dome collapses idea.  E TN is cave country after all. 

WTH,when i read this i cringed and literally got nauseated,stop taking football out of football.So there will be no more dive plays over the top or diving for the pylon?Geeze will they ever stop?I completely understand the concussion part,but taking other elements out of the game to me is preposterous !!

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/04/nfl-rules-will-now-treat-head-first-dives-like-feet-first-slides/

Edit:They should put skates on and get cross checked  into the boards and lose a tooth or two like hockey players do then come out swinging and get paid for what they are worth,you don't hear them complain?Least not right now..lol.I could care less about watching a more worthless pro-bowl game in which is what the NFL is coming into week after week...JMO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

LOL Point of Emphasis! To alter offensive strategy so much is a Rule Change. They just reduced scoring, a proven bad business move in sports. Yes safety is enhanced. I see the argument there. However let's call it a rule change.

My biggest sports gripe is the other football (soccer). Chattanooga Football Club CFC has built a special organization and culture over 10 years in the NPSL. Been talk of going pro. However now somebody jumps the gun and an outsider wants to bring in a pro team (division 3). They talk about the benefits of pro. Really? Look at everything CFC has done for soccer in the region as is! CFC is truly special. This is one town one team. Even if you are not into soccer, we appreciate the support. Chattanooga FC only!

• Like 2

On 8/6/2018 at 9:59 AM, nrgjeff said:

LOL Point of Emphasis! To alter offensive strategy so much is a Rule Change. They just reduced scoring, a proven bad business move in sports. Yes safety is enhanced. I see the argument there. However let's call it a rule change.

My biggest sports gripe is the other football (soccer). Chattanooga Football Club CFC has built a special organization and culture over 10 years in the NPSL. Been talk of going pro. However now somebody jumps the gun and an outsider wants to bring in a pro team (division 3). They talk about the benefits of pro. Really? Look at everything CFC has done for soccer in the region as is! CFC is truly special. This is one town one team. Even if you are not into soccer, we appreciate the support. Chattanooga FC only!

I really wish the NCAA and NFL would both have the same rules.Keep it simple.