• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Mid-Atlantic weather event of the decade (snow/ice storms not included)

PrinceFrederickWx

The Mid-Atlantic weather event of the decade (snow/ice storms not included)  

78 members have voted

1. 1. The Mid-Atlantic weather event of the decade (snow/ice storms not included)

• July/summer 2010-2012 heatwaves
    • Tornado outbreaks: Apr. 27-28, 2011; Jun. 1, 2012; Sept. 17, 2018
    • Hurricane Irene (Aug. 2011)
    • Tropical Storm Lee remnants (Sept. 2011)
    • Jun. 29-30, 2012 derecho
    • Superstorm Sandy (Oct. 2012)
    • Jan. 2014 & Feb. 2015 anomalous winter cold
    • Dec. 2015 & Feb. 2017 anomalous winter heat
    • Jul. 30, 2016 & May 27, 2018 Ellicott City flooding
    • Mar. 2, 2018 windstorm
    • Jul. 2014 cool weather
    • 2018 extreme rainfall events (wettest year on record for BWI, DCA & IAD)
    • Other (list in comments)

That derecho knocked down so many damn trees on the Allegheny Front it caused me to get incredibly lost a couple weeks later on an afternoon hike about 5 miles northwest of Snowshoe. While I was hiking a week after the derecho a summer storm came up and sat right over me, I was instantly in the clouds. There were so many trees down with near zero viz it was impossible to follow any “trail”. 20 hours and 24 miles (mostly bushwhacking) and i ended up at my condo 15 miles from where I had parked my car to start the hike. When I started it was 72 degrees when I returned home it was 47 degrees (at 4 am on July 30th mind you) I was in a t-shirt and shorts. Because it was supposed to be a quick 3 mile afternoon hike I only brought a 20 oz. bottle of water with me. 

• Like 2

On 12/22/2018 at 8:34 AM, Inthepines said:

That derecho knocked down so many damn trees on the Allegheny Front it caused me to get incredibly lost a couple weeks later on an afternoon hike about 5 miles northwest of Snowshoe. While I was hiking a week after the derecho a summer storm came up and sat right over me, I was instantly in the clouds. There were so many trees down with near zero viz it was impossible to follow any “trail”. 20 hours and 24 miles (mostly bushwhacking) and i ended up at my condo 15 miles from where I had parked my car to start the hike. When I started it was 72 degrees when I returned home it was 47 degrees (at 4 am on July 30th mind you) I was in a t-shirt and shorts. Because it was supposed to be a quick 3 mile afternoon hike I only brought a 20 oz. bottle of water with me. 

I'll never forget looking at that derecho radar and couldn't believe what I was seeing.  Then the whistling sound my doors made as the storm started.  I was thinking that you're missing the College Park F3 tornado of 2001, but you only said decade. :)