April 2018 General Discussion

SchaumburgStormer

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RECORD EVENT REPORT 
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN
432 PM EDT SUN APR 29 2018

...RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE SET AT INDIANAPOLIS IN...

A RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE OF 30 DEGREES WAS SET AT INDIANAPOLIS 
TODAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 31 SET IN 1977. RECORDS AT 
INDIANAPOLIS BEGAN IN 1871.

2 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

DVN sitting at 66/14 with a humidity of 13%.  That's about as low as it gets around here.

Speaking of the low dews, LOT issued this update for tomorrow.  

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Chicago/Romeoville, IL
851 PM CDT Sun Apr 29 2018

.UPDATE...
851 PM CDT

Have made some adjustments to dewpoints tomorrow. Day shift went
solidly above guidance for high temps Monday and latest RAP/HRRR
runs strongly support this adjustment and in fact is coming in
even a couple degrees warmer still. The RAP/HRRR tend to perform
quite well with 2m T/Td forecasts in situations like tomorrow with
late moisture return and strong WAA. Have adjusted dewpoints down
Monday, but am still a good 5F+ higher than latest RAP guidance
would support.

These changes support support issuance of a red flag warning, for
further details see the Fire Weather section of the AFD below and
the RFWLOT and FWFLOT.

- Izzi

9 hours ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Little backwash from that ul over up-state NY dropped a few tenths of an inch of snow this morning imby. Should be it for the winter of 2017-18. Good riddance.

I missed it as I was still asleep. Nothing on the ground when I woke up a few hours later.

Today's snowfall is the 12th day this month at YYZ with at least a trace. And this April is the coldest at YYZ since 1975 and the wettest on record with over 150 mm (5.9") of total precip. Records began at YYZ in 1937.

It's been an impressive April in terms of cold. And as if to emphasize the point we managed to hit a low of 27 last night.

I must say I was surprised we pulled out a record wet April around southern Ontario. It didn't feel like there were that many days of rain this month, I suppose most of it came during the kitchen sink storm mid-month.

10 hours ago, Toronto4 said:

I missed it as I was still asleep. Nothing on the ground when I woke up a few hours later.

Today's snowfall is the 12th day this month at YYZ with at least a trace. And this April is the coldest at YYZ since 1975 and the wettest on record with over 150 mm (5.9") of total precip. Records began at YYZ in 1937.

This April will finish as the second coldest April on record at YYZ with a mean temperature of ~38F. We also recorded 18 days with a low temperature of 32F or below this month vs. the average of 13 days. Good riddance to this month and winter 2017-18. These next few days are just amazing and a long time coming. B)

Just a few hours left of this horrible month, one of if not the worst Spring month I've seen. Even today was slightly too chilly but the past two days were perfect blue skies. May better be fantastic (haven't had a good one in many years). Tomorrow when it starts not only will we be way past 20ºC for the first time this year (false alarm last week), but also ushering in a new regime of trackable and warm weather.

6 hours ago, Minnesota_storms said:

86F today. Forecast was 80F. Wonder if it would have reached 90F if this morning had no clouds. 

Several convection-allowing models show storms developing at the IA/MN border with heavy rain after 00z tomorrow (Tuesday night). The 3km NAM has 1700 J/kg of CAPE, and 60 dew points extending the WI/MI border, so I expect SPC to put a slight risk for severe up to the IA/MN border. Chance for heavy rain in southern Wisconsin

April 2018 mean average temperature rankings. Impressively cold month.

Alpena, MI: 33.5˚ coldest on record

Chicago, IL: 41.2˚ 4th coldest on record

Des Moines, IA: 44.4˚ 5th coldest on record

Dubuque, IA: 38.8˚ coldest on record

Duluth, MN: 32.8˚ 6th coldest on record

Flint, MI: 39.1˚ coldest on record

Fort Wayne, IN: 44.1˚ 7th coldest on record

Grand Rapids, MI: 40.1˚ 4th coldest on record

Green Bay, WI: 35.3˚ 2nd coldest on record

Indianapolis, IN: 47.1˚ 8th coldest on record

La Crosse, WI: 39.3˚ tied with 1874 for coldest on record

Madison, WI: 37.6˚ tied for 2nd coldest on record

Marquette, MI: 28.2˚ coldest on record

Milwaukee, WI: 38.9˚ 5th coldest on record

Minneapolis, MN: 37.6˚ 4th coldest on record

Moline, IL: 43.1˚ 3rd coldest on record

Peoria, IL: 45.1˚ 6th coldest on record

Rockford, IL: 40.4˚ 2nd coldest on record

South Bend, IN: 39.9˚ 2nd coldest on record

Would surely have set even more records if not for the last-gasp warmup. Good riddance. Grass is finally turning green, although it's going to be back to brown in a hurry if this week's rain doesn't pan out.

As much as I hated the mid-month snow, I'm sure the melt was vital to getting some soil moisture to green things up given how little precip we have had since.

9 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Would surely have set even more records if not for the last-gasp warmup. Good riddance. Grass is finally turning green, although it's going to be back to brown in a hurry if this week's rain doesn't pan out.

As much as I hated the mid-month snow, I'm sure the melt was vital to getting some soil moisture to green things up given how little precip we have had since.

I agree with that. I wonder if the reason why the grass didnt green up before the mid-month snow is because of lack of moisture not temperatures. I do think if this rain pans out like its forecast,everything is going to go insane. Hopefully the trees start to bud and leaf out.

I'm enjoying the warmth so far, 24ºC already! :wub: My high is suppose to be 26ºC. Of course the first 20ºC reading was easily reached in the UW station contest but even I'm surprised it was at 10:00 am which blows away the previous 20 first 20C times (earliest was 11:45 am). There aren't too many May first 20ºC readings in the records. 3 years ago today it was around 30ºC (Humidex to 33C) IMBY so it could always still be better.

Did anyone notice the end of the 18z GFS run yesterday? It was beyond 348 hours however it was showing a ridiculously powerful low in the southern prairies and a powerful ridge over us in the east. I don't recall ever seeing that kind of thing modeled in mid-May. What kind of severe would take place in the northern Plains? Then of course a historic winter storm in SW Montana :huh:. It would be a dream for such a synoptic setup. The 00z run after showed the exact opposite in fantasy land with the worst possible 500 mb pattern.

Actually feels a little hot outside in the sun, but the breeze helps. Sort of weird to see bare trees with this kind of warmth but maybe it's not all that unusual.  We did have a particularly quick flip from winter like temps to full on spring though.

36 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Actually feels a little hot outside in the sun, but the breeze helps. Sort of weird to see bare trees with this kind of warmth but maybe it's not all that unusual.  We did have a particularly quick flip from winter like temps to full on spring though.

It is still hard to believe that, for the most part, trees around us have not even budded yet.  Sure, April was a bit chilly...but you'd think the longer days and recent warm weather would have allowed for nature to take its course by now.

Over the past 10 days, I kept thinking it would be "any day now"...and I have been wrong 10 days in a row.

I think the average date around here is ~ April 15.

8 hours ago, Chicago WX said:

April 2018 mean average temperature rankings. Impressively cold month.

Alpena, MI: 33.5˚ coldest on record

Chicago, IL: 41.2˚ 4th coldest on record

Des Moines, IA: 44.4˚ 5th coldest on record

Dubuque, IA: 38.8˚ coldest on record

Duluth, MN: 32.8˚ 6th coldest on record

Flint, MI: 39.1˚ coldest on record

Fort Wayne, IN: 44.1˚ 7th coldest on record

Grand Rapids, MI: 40.1˚ 4th coldest on record

Green Bay, WI: 35.3˚ 2nd coldest on record

Indianapolis, IN: 47.1˚ 8th coldest on record

La Crosse, WI: 39.3˚ tied with 1874 for coldest on record

Madison, WI: 37.6˚ tied for 2nd coldest on record

Marquette, MI: 28.2˚ coldest on record

Milwaukee, WI: 38.9˚ 5th coldest on record

Minneapolis, MN: 37.6˚ 4th coldest on record

Moline, IL: 43.1˚ 3rd coldest on record

Peoria, IL: 45.1˚ 6th coldest on record

Rockford, IL: 40.4˚ 2nd coldest on record

South Bend, IN: 39.9˚ 2nd coldest on record

Detroit: 43.0° 13th coldest on record*

It was the 13th coldest on record, but the coldest since 1975 and 2nd coldest since 1951. There were quite a few cold aprils in the early days of climate record. Also, DET was markedly colder than official DTW, and all the other years (except 1975) were at DET or other locals in Detroit proper. 

Archived