SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
April 2018 General Discussion

SchaumburgStormer

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the cold shot this weekend, YYZ may finish April either tied for 2nd coldest or 3rd coldest on record. Insanity! 

The top coldest Aprils at YYZ are as follows; 

1943/1972/1975 tied at 37.0F 

1950/1965 tied at 38.1F. 

The average is ~44.0F. I had a brief scan of the following summers of those years and they are not the "warmest" summers ever lol :yikes:. Most if not all of them ended up below normal temperature wise. Funny enough all the other cold April's mentioned above finished below normal precipitation wise. Maybe this year might be an exception to the correlation? Haha 

Feels like we're sitting in western Kansas right now.  Getting very strong wind gusts atm, probably over 45mph.  Widespread blowing dust from the surrounding farm fields has made it very dusty and has reduced visibility quite a bit, even here in town.  Had a few sprinkles a short while ago.  The temp is actually rising with these strong northwest winds.  Up to 73 and still rising. 

On 4/26/2018 at 11:38 AM, Snowstorms said:

I had a brief scan of the following summers of those years and they are not the "warmest" summers ever lol :yikes:. Most if not all of them ended up below normal temperature wise. Funny enough all the other cold April's mentioned above finished below normal precipitation wise. Maybe this year might be an exception to the correlation? Haha 

Lets buck past climate data on that one! My favorite time of the year could end up disastrously quiet in the severe department too.

It was mostly cloudy with sunny breaks on and off throughout the day. Made it to 14ºC then dropped 3 by 2:00 pm. I heard a low rumble of thunder by 4:00 pm interestingly enough.

24 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Had a brief t’storm here a bit ago, with a brief burst of graupel that followed.

Wow, didn't realize it was that cold up that way.  Parts of southeast WI are in the 30s with showers.  Ouch.  Have cooled back to 64 here, and the winds aren't nearly as strong.  

21 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Wow, didn't realize it was that cold up that way.  Parts of southeast WI are in the 30s with showers.  Ouch.  Have cooled back to 64 here, and the winds aren't nearly as strong.  

It had been warmer than that, with temps near 60 prior to that activity and the lake enhanced from moving through.

20 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

With the windy conditions, open farm fields and field plowing occurring...A lot of dirt/dust was kicked up yesterday across IA/NW/W. IL.

The outcome was a layer of dirt coating everything following the rain later yesterday.

I believe it.  Saw a lot of that blowing dust, and the sky had a weird hazyness to it.

2 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

With the windy conditions, open farm fields and field plowing occurring...A lot of dirt/dust was kicked up yesterday across IA/NW/W. IL.

The outcome was a layer of dirt coating everything following the rain later yesterday.

Noticed this driving across Indiana and IL as well today.

1 hour ago, Stebo said:

By the way, to Indy people, 465 speed limit of 55 is a joke right? That thing could have been 80 and you'd still have people speeding.

Yes, it's laughable. I stay off of it at all costs. You have people driving anywhere from 55 to 85. Makes it more dangerous than just having it at 70. At least at 70, people would be driving in a narrower range of speeds on a road that was built for higher speeds.

16 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Yes, it's laughable. I stay off of it at all costs. You have people driving anywhere from 55 to 85. Makes it more dangerous than just having it at 70. At least at 70, people would be driving in a narrower range of speeds on a road that was built for higher speeds.

Yeah it was like Talladega speedway out there today. 

ORD tied record low of 31 (1958, 2008) and set new record for lows of 32 or lower in month of April with 16 days. RFD tied record low of 27 from 1958 and will finish with 19 days with lows of 32 or lower, tied for 2nd most on record for April with 1918. Record is 20 days set in 1907.

Based on where monthly average temperature is as of 4/28 and the addition of another below normal day today due to the cold lows, it appears that this month will finish as 4th coldest April on record at ORD and 2nd coldest on record at RFD. It really stands out at ORD, where this will be coldest April since the climate site has been inland. Including 2018, there will only be 5 Aprils in top 20 coldest Aprils for Chicago (2018, 1950, 1983, 1975, 1961) that were observed at MDW or ORD. 1982 will move to 21st coldest April.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, RCNYILWX said:

ORD tied record low of 31 (1958, 2008) and set new record for lows of 32 or lower in month of April with 16 days. RFD tied record low of 27 from 1958 and will finish with 19 days with lows of 32 or lower, tied for 2nd most on record for April with 1918. Record is 20 days set in 1907.

Based on where monthly average temperature is as of 4/28 and the addition of another below normal day today due to the cold lows, it appears that this month will finish as 4th coldest April on record at ORD and 2nd coldest on record at RFD. It really stands out at ORD, where this will be coldest April since the climate site has been inland. Including 2018, there will only be 5 Aprils in top 20 coldest Aprils for Chicago (2018, 1950, 1983, 1975, 1961) that were observed at MDW or ORD. 1982 will move to 21st coldest April.

When does LOT resume frost/freeze headlines?  Hopefully not until fall (lol) but if there is a frost/freeze in May?

Looks like MLI tied the record low at 27.  Hit 28 here.  

Should make a run at 80 tomorrow and Tue, which would be the first of the season.  Biggest change will be the first bout of 60+ dews which should arrive by Wednesday.  Looks like Thu will be our best shot at meaningful convection, but can't rule out Iowa sloppy seconds Wednesday/Wednesday night.

When does LOT resume frost/freeze headlines?  Hopefully not until fall (lol) but if there is a frost/freeze in May?
Based off very low growing degree days thus far, we were going to have headlines starting as of April 30th and onward.

Archived