• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
April 2018 General Discussion

SchaumburgStormer

I'm already near 17ºC which was the high yesterday! Forecast still lagging like crazy thinking 19ºC will be what I top out at...unless something causes that cap barrier I'm thinking fat chance; today its going over 20ºC for the first time this year. Problem is the same will be for the UW weather station (now 16ºC) :(.

EDIT 1:10 pm: TWN says I've reached 20ºC for the first time this year, not quite sure if I believe it due to the absurd temperature rise within 1.5 hours. It would be one of the fastest climbs in April history if the data is true so I'll go back and look at the hourlies to see later. The other suspect point is my afternoon forecast still shows 19ºC...

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lol, Moline hit 74 with a NE wind all day. That probably doesn't happen very often in late April.

It probably does actually. It’s late April and it’s not like there’s a lake next door.

Even ORD hit 63 with a NE wind off the 39-43F Lake Michigan waters.

1 minute ago, Spring 2018 Is The Worst said:

How was that a bad post? You don't expect to see temps well into the 70s with a NE wind in April, do you?

Just now, NWLinnCountyIA said:

I'd assume he was talking about the northeast winds combined with a high of 74. Which actually did strike me as somewhat unusual as well.

We had winds off the water here all day and made it to 72, so yeah that isn't surprising. Especially considering the dry atmosphere that easily heated up. 

2 minutes ago, Stebo said:

We had winds off the water here all day and made it to 72, so yeah that isn't surprising. Especially considering the dry atmosphere that easily heated up. 

That's even more surprising. Lake temperatures are well below normal for this time of the year and they're not having a big impact on temperatures even with a decent wind off the frigid waters.

Just now, Spring 2018 Is The Worst said:

That's even more surprising. Lake temperatures are well below normal for this time of the year and they're not having a big impact on temperatures even with a decent wind off the frigid waters.

Atmosphere is made up of more than lake breezes.

Just now, Spring 2018 Is The Worst said:

but the low dew points and full sun would allow temps to rise much higher than they normally would given the circumstances, which was probably the case.

1 minute ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

but the low dew points and full sun would allow temps to rise much higher than they normally would given the circumstances, which was probably the case.

Not only that but NE of Moline is higher elevation across SW WI so you'd have downsloping, and as Chi Storm noted, it is no where near the lake.

2 hours ago, Stebo said:

Not only that but NE of Moline is higher elevation across SW WI so you'd have downsloping, and as Chi Storm noted, it is no where near the lake.

It is probably a good 10F higher than their average though, so I don't think it's that common (certainly don't think you would see it with overcast skies, need full sun like today over there).

4 minutes ago, wisconsinwx said:

It is probably a good 10F higher than their average though, so I don't think it's that common (certainly don't think you would see it with overcast skies, need full sun like today over there).

It is about as shocking as a 90 degree day in July in MKE.

6 hours ago, Spring 2018 Is The Worst said:

Lol, Moline hit 74 with a NE wind all day. That probably doesn't happen very often in late April.

Sort of an interesting setup with the storm system passing by to the south causing the vigorous east to northeast surface winds.  Unlike in many cases this time of year we didn't have a cold high pressure to the north.  There really wasn't a source of cold air to advect cold air from like in most cases when we have east to northeast surface flow.  The Lakes are cold this time of year, and definitely help to reinforce backdoor fronts in a low-level CAA scheme even this far west and south.  Today wasn't a surface CAA setup though, and the lakes provided mostly local affects near the shore, etc.

3 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Yeah, what a spectacular day.  It's 76/26 here at the moment, which is the warmest temp of the year so far.  Humidity is only at 15%!

Been missing out on the 70s but the weather has been a lot nicer than earlier this month.

Archived