Newest Member
    SnowHabit
April 2018 General Discussion

SchaumburgStormer

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Depending on which model you look at we may either make it into the mid 70s, or not get out of the 50s.  I'll be optimistic and say we blast into the 70s, with even the first 80 of the season at MLI.

Same boat here, hoping to see that warm front blast north. These days are always fun, as working in law enforcement and being outdoors most of the day, it’s a real crapshoot as to what type of weather to dress for. Inevitably you dress for a cooler day and the warm front blasts to the state line, and I sweat to death. I dress for warmth, and the front will hold up around I-80. 

This is time of the year, the front gets hung up along I-80 fairly regularly, so that is what I am expecting today.

3 hours ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Same boat here, hoping to see that warm front blast north. These days are always fun, as working in law enforcement and being outdoors most of the day, it’s a real crapshoot as to what type of weather to dress for. Inevitably you dress for a cooler day and the warm front blasts to the state line, and I sweat to death. I dress for warmth, and the front will hold up around I-80. 

This is time of the year, the front gets hung up along I-80 fairly regularly, so that is what I am expecting today.

Front just (and I mean just) to my south right now.

11 minutes ago, ams30721us said:

Yea...so much for 70s today here in DVN! We have dropped into the 40s at 2pm

There's something I have wondered about how Lake Michigan can affect frontal positions.  It obviously affects it sometimes closer to the lake but what about areas well away, like the Quad Cities.  If the lake didn't exist, would the front be, say, 20-30 miles farther north than it is right now?  How much of what is occurring today has to do solely with the latitude where the surface low is positioned out west and how much is Lake Michigan influencing the position even in areas well removed from the water?  

On 4/7/2018 at 2:26 PM, Spartman said:

DAY has hit the 70s only twice in February. There has never been an April when temps fail to reach 70 the entire month. Gut feeling this is going to be the first April ever not to have any 70-degree days. The record low maximum April temperature is 73 degrees in 1998 which has a chance to be broken by the end of this month.

Congrats on the 78 yesterday and what looks like 80 today.

9 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Depending on which model you look at we may either make it into the mid 70s, or not get out of the 50s.  I'll be optimistic and say we blast into the 70s, with even the first 80 of the season at MLI.

LMAO!  Or not.  Models did a pretty terrible job in depicting where the warm front would end up.  Originally they had it get well north of DVN.  At least yesterday was nice.  :(

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 2:54 PM, hardypalmguy said:

Up here in Wisconsin, Lake Michigan influences fronts all the way until June.  You will see the frontal boundary bend around the lake and give middle Michigan 70s while we shiver in the 40s.

Yes, sounds like my favorite poster indeed!  Seriously, this spring has been ridiculous.  You know it's bad when no one likes it (warmth lovers, snow lovers, sunshine lovers, severe wx lovers).

Halfway through this April...and here's where a few cities rank historically in terms of coldest Aprils to date...top 10's only...April 1-15 mean average temperature:

Alpena, MI: 2nd coldest on record at 28.0˚ (#1 is 27.6˚ in 1923)

Chicago, IL: 4th coldest on record at 36.5˚ (#1 is 33.0˚ in 1881)

Des Moines, IA: 2nd coldest on record at 36.7˚ (#1 is 30.7˚ in 1881)

Dubuque, IA: coldest on record at 31.1˚ (#2 is 33.3˚ in 1975)

Duluth, MN: tied coldest on record at 24.2˚ (with 1950)

Flint, MI: 2nd coldest on record at 34.5˚ (#1 is 31.9˚ in 1975)

Grand Rapids, MI: 3rd coldest on record at 34.4˚ (#1 is 31.4˚ in 1975)

Green Bay, WI: coldest on record at 28.8˚ (#2 is 30.5˚ in 1923)

La Crosse, WI: coldest on record at 31.7˚ (#2 is 33.4˚ in 1881)

Madison, WI: 2nd coldest on record at 31.1˚ (#1 is 30.1˚ in 1881)

Marquette, MI: coldest on record at 21.8˚ (#2 is 24.3˚ in 1881)

Milwaukee, WI: 6th coldest on record at 34.4˚ (#1 is 30.7˚ in 1881)

Minneapolis, MN: coldest on record at 27.8˚ (#2 is 30.7˚ in 1920)

Moline, IL: 3rd coldest on record at 36.9˚ (#1 is 33.4˚ in 1881)

Peoria, IL: 5th coldest on record at 39.6˚ (#1 is 37.1˚ in 1926)

Rockford, IL: coldest on record at 34.2˚ (#2 is 34.7˚ in 1975)

South Bend, IN: 6th coldest on record at 37.0˚ (#1 is 35.7˚ in 1907)

Archived