Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
April 2018 General Discussion

SchaumburgStormer

22 hours ago, Hoosier said:

I'm going to call Thursday a beavis day. Looks like snow will be falling in Chicago during the daylight hours... maybe some accumulations if temps cooperate.

:snowman:

Still seeing sub-510 thicknesses in central and northern MN/WI on some models for Friday 4/6...has to be a -3 to -4 SD event if it materializes.

Normals for Thursday 4/5 at ORD are 55/35. My daughter has softball practice that day...ha.  Bring it on. :D 

Here are current records for ORD. From what it looks like now, the low max on 4/6 has the greatest chance of being broken. Will need snow cover to break the record lows...which is highly uncertain at this time.

April 5:  record low 18 (1995); record low max 31 (1982)

April 6:  record low 15 (1982); record low max 32 (1982)

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z Euro has around 0.6" of frozen QPF over the next 10 days at ORD...a slight uptick from the 00z run. And, as the sun sets on Friday 4/6, it shows temps in the low 20s.  Wow. 

Around 1.0" frozen QPF from Madison to Milwaukee.

Obviously it's a 10-day prog...and even if it were to occur verbatim, I'm not expecting more than half of the frozen QPF to stick.  But even 2-4" accumulation on grassy surfaces this late in the season would be impressive. Makes you realize how impressive April 1982 was.

9 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

12z Euro has around 0.6" of frozen QPF over the next 10 days at ORD...a slight uptick from the 00z run. And, as the sun sets on Friday 4/6, it shows temps in the low 20s.  Wow. 

Around 1.0" frozen QPF from Madison to Milwaukee.

Obviously it's a 10-day prog...and even if it were to occur verbatim, I'm not expecting more than half of the frozen QPF to stick.  But even 2-4" accumulation on grassy surfaces this late in the season would be impressive. Makes you realize how impressive April 1982 was.

The Thursday system has some decent frontogenesis/banded signals.  I am thinking it will snow hard enough for some accumulations despite marginal temps/time of day.

Lake effect snow, wind, cold... high today of 22  forecasted, with winds gusting to 30 at times should keep wind chills in the single digits today.  I know cold is common in April but the persistence this year is impressive.  Unless something changes mid-month, should see seasonal snow pack hang on until around May this year. Winter not letting go!

4418.thumb.png.0f8be18fab12831bd9e888fa2907f269.png

20 minutes ago, roardog said:

How far north has spring green up started? There's nothing even close to green grass here yet .It's covered in snow today but under it, it's still completely brown.

Grass is a mix of brown and green here. Trees are not even close to leafing out though.

Had 0.89" of rain yesterday, including some thunder. Wind whipped snow squalls today produced 0.1" of snow imby, although it was more like 0.4" at my work. Wind gusted well into the 40s mphs so it literally feels like the middle of Winter outside as snowflakes continue to dance through the air in between the heavier squalls.

6 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Hurricane force wind gust in our area, best wind storm in awhile. 

Seems like the Buffalo area is in a good spot to get these big windstorms every so often... deepening lows on a track like this which results in the flow coming in right off Lake Erie (less friction).

Duluth and INL have both had at least a Trace of snow cover since October 27.  So, today is Day 160 of the streak. :o

Duluth still has 7" of snow on the ground, and INL has 10". Given the ongoing cold temps, the snow cover will probably remain for at least 7 more days.

Although each individual location may have had a longer duration of Trace+ snow cover...this is probably close to a record streak for both towns simultaneously. The only winters close to this streak were probably 1995-96 or 1996-97.

Very impressive snow event up here yesterday. Rare to get accumulations such as this during the daytime, had this been midwinter could have easily been bigger then the 1/25 storm. MSP officially finished with 9” putting us over 60” on the season and above the annual average. Probably 5” snowdepth with the April sun is doing serious work. Looking ahead we probably will hold onto this snow through the weekend with record cold and more snow chances. Midwinter feel again and I love it.

Archived