Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 2018 General Discussion

SchaumburgStormer

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

Well one good thing I guess, once the warmth finally does get here it's gonna have to potential to be really warm compared to what we've been experiencing.  The first 70+ degree day may end up also being the first 80+ day lol.

Also may have a very quick green up/leaf out depending how the switch flips. 

3 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

Nice...that is crazy Bo. Must be close to all-time record lows for April. 

The record low for the date at MQT is -8 so not even close there, and I'd be surprised if the below zero lows at those locations were either.  It's still very easy this time of the year to get really cold quickly with snow in place and ideal radiational cooling conditions.

The forecast for the upcoming week, however, looks straight out of late Nov-early Dec.

41181.thumb.png.d2373b084061a28ee76bc23b0630ee64.png

Funny how our perceptions can be ridiculously skewed.

Here I was thinking this dearth of snow imby since mid-February is unprecedented. Then I go and look at the data for YYZ from mid-February onward last year and it's basically a carbon-copy. It wasn't even warmer last year mid-Feb to mid-Apr. Basically, cold and dry with warm-ups just in time for a few storms so that they're rainers.

Maybe the constant misses to the north and south with snow swaths is making this year feel worse? Not sure.

44 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Funny how our perceptions can be ridiculously skewed.

Here I was thinking this dearth of snow imby since mid-February is unprecedented. Then I go and look at the data for YYZ from mid-February onward last year and it's basically a carbon-copy. It wasn't even warmer last year mid-Feb to mid-Apr. Basically, cold and dry with warm-ups just in time for a few storms so that they're rainers.

Maybe the constant misses to the north and south with snow swaths is making this year feel worse? Not sure.

Check 1945, 1946, 1953, 1962, 1973 and 1992. It's happened before, lol. It's not unprecedented but highly unusual. It perplexes me that were going to walk away from this winter  from mid-February onwards without a single snowstorm, not even a clipper or front-end thump. 

Edit: 2010, 2012, and 2013 are just as bad lol. It's become a common theme in the last few years. 

Very impressive cold over the fresh snow cover of central IL this morning.  Macomb got down to at least 0, while areas just north over the bare ground stayed in the teens.
2rddlac.jpg&key=ca197b237fa481e84fad1fb28e543394aff2944e66bf49bfdf8484ae1e9d2130
MQB and ILX and Avon COOP got down to -1. Those of us at ILX, DVN, and LOT on the overnight shift were trying to figure out what the IL state record low for month of April is. Best we could discover was -2, at Mount Carroll on 4/6/1982 & Kewanee 1 E, on 4/7/1982. From everything I could find, these readings of -1 were the coldest temperatures in April in IL since the likely April state record lows were set in 1982. Extremely impressive.

As a side note, the IL state climatologist page was down, and had to use Google and NowData to figure out the info. Does anyone know of any other sites that have state record temperatures by month?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yesterday’s snowfall broke a few records here in Champaign. 

Snowiest Easter Sunday, old record was 2” on 4/4/1920. New record 4.5” 4/1/2018.

Record April 1st snowfall, old record was 4.3” in 1962. 

Last time it snowed on April 1st was in 1993. 

Almost broke the record low of 15 set back in 1899, fell just short at 18 degrees. 

Archived