Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I’m in PA right now at 1900’ and it’s been snowing all morning. Pretty amazing. 

1928 lite.

90 years ago today, a storm was taking shape along the Gulf Coast, which would dump 17.3" of snow on State College (morning surface maps from April 27 & April 28, 1928). #pawx #UltimateSpringStrugglespic.twitter.com/O55k8I9MgU

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

1928 lite.

90 years ago today, a storm was taking shape along the Gulf Coast, which would dump 17.3" of snow on State College (morning surface maps from April 27 & April 28, 1928). #pawx #UltimateSpringStrugglespic.twitter.com/O55k8I9MgU

Do you know if the meteorologists of the time were able to predict the storm with the data available in those times, on the 27th.?

10 minutes ago, CIK62 said:

Do you know if the meteorologists of the time were able to predict the storm with the data available in those times, on the 27th.?

The text is too small to read on the twitter images, but the forecasts for the following day were printed on the national maps... "For eastern Pennsylvania, partly cloudy, preceded by light rain this afternoon and to-night in extreme south portion; Saturday fair with slowly rising temperature; fresh north wind." Then, "For western Pennsylvania, partly cloudy to-night, heavy frost in south portion if weather clears; Saturday fair with slowing rising temperature." Seems like ye olde mets were bitten by the last-minute north trend :)

1 hour ago, uncle W said:

NYC will end up averaging 49.6/49.7 for April...This makes it the coolest April since 1975...

The coolest Aprils since 1950...

it's 45 now in the Park...the ave temp could end up at 49.5...fifth place on this list...

18 hours ago, bluewave said:

1928 lite.

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83030214/1874-05-01/ed-1/seq-5/

3 hours ago, uncle W said:

it's 45 now in the Park...the ave temp could end up at 49.5...fifth place on this list...

April looks like it will be one of the highest ranking cold departure months of the 2010's in the US. It has been running so far in the direction of record warmth that this month was a real outlier. The only other 2010's month to rank in the top 20 coldest was November 2014.

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/summary-info/national/201411

During November, the average contiguous U.S. temperature was 39.3°F, which is 2.4°F below the 20th century average. This ranked as the 16th coldest November in the 1895-2014 record, and was the coldest November since 2000.

MonthTDeptUS.png.10dc623a5191eff997fe7184463ec15e.png

16th coldest

Nov14TDeptUS.png.4ef6a8aad673858c441c7348fce8e0af.png

2 hours ago, nzucker said:

Only 48F here in Pelham Bay. Last cool day of the season? 

My heating was on last night.

Yeah today looks like the last cool day until the Fall. After the heat this week, the cooldown will only take us down to near 70 for highs which is beautiful Spring weather. Very glad that today is the end of the chilly weather.

3 hours ago, nzucker said:

Only 48F here in Pelham Bay. Last cool day of the season? 

My heating was on last night.

1 hour ago, JerseyWx said:

We're going into May, I shouldn't need to have the heat running.

We got an oil delivery right before the power went out for 5 1/2 days in early March that should have been enough to get us through this season and into next November. We ran out last night :(  I really wasn't prepared to spend my car payment on another oil delivery tomorrow.

19 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

We got an oil delivery right before the power went out for 5 1/2 days in early March that should have been enough to get us through this season and into next November. We ran out last night :(  I really wasn't prepared to spend my car payment on another oil delivery tomorrow.

I hear you...im waiting on a re-fill as well..almost there...

55 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Really tough to do reliable heating cost projections with these big temperature swings. We had a very high bill from mid-December into mid-January. Caught some big savings through February. Then a quick pick up in demand for March and April. Welcome to the 2010's.

57 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Yeah I hear ya man.  Heating costs from late February until now have not been great at all.

Latest bloom I can remember in awhile too.  Dogwoods have barely produced buds, and overall still a lot of brown considering it's May 1st tomorrow.

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

What size is your tank? I have a 330 gallon tank, got a delivery on 3/10 and have between a 1/2 and 3/4s.  Do you use it for hot water too?  I have an electric water heater. 

4 hours ago, bluewave said:

Really tough to do reliable heating cost projections with these big temperature swings. We had a very high bill from mid-December into mid-January. Caught some big savings through February. Then a quick pick up in demand for March and April. Welcome to the 2010's.

After 22 years in the house we generally have a pretty good idea of how much it's going to take but the cold April buggered that all up. 

4 hours ago, JerseyWx said:

Yeah I hear ya man.  Heating costs from late February until now have not been great at all.

Latest bloom I can remember in awhile too.  Dogwoods have barely produced buds, and overall still a lot of brown considering it's May 1st tomorrow.

Yeah this extended stick season is frustrating but it has made for some good mtn biking with great, long sight lines in the woods.

3 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

What size is your tank? I have a 330 gallon tank, got a delivery on 3/10 and have between a 1/2 and 3/4s.  Do you use it for hot water too?  I have an electric water heater. 

It's not about how big the tank is because we never fill it anymore, not really sure how sound it is having been underground for over 30 years now. shhhh ;)  No just for heat, electric hot water heater here too. Like I said above, we're usually pretty good at getting it right and if it had warmed up "on schedule" we'd have been fine.

15 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

^^And we had at least a dozen more days up here that precipitated that didn't in the city. Wet...

AVP finished in 2nd place at 48 days with BGM ranked 4th at 50 days. Seattle had their record in 2017 at 70 days.

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived