Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Be interesting to see if the late April coastal storm the models have verifies next week. This would give NYC the first 3 months in a row with over 5" of precip since 2011. It could indicate the beginning of a new wetter period following the recent dry multiyear run.

21 minutes ago, ForestHillWx said:

As others have noted, another cold night. Bottomed out at 27 out this way. 

Even had ice form on the top of old buckets filled with rain water. 

This April has basically felt like a coninuation of March, outside of last weekend.  Still can't get rid of the 20's by mid-April.

12 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Be interesting to see if the late April noreaster the models have verifies next week. This would give NYC the first 3 months in a row with over 5" of precip since 2011. It could indicate the beginning of a new wetter period following the recent dry multiyear run.

Looks like the GFS OP is back onboard on bringing it up the coast after have it stay south and east of us for several runs.

12 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

Looks like the GFS OP is back onboard on bringing it up the coast after have it stay south and east of us for several runs.

Meanwhile the CMC doesn’t even have a storm on the east coast in the same time period lol lots of time for it to fluctuate.  Would love for it to stay south and we can get a full week of 60F weather but we shall see.

1 hour ago, Rtd208 said:

NYC just needs .70 for the rest of April to join the 2000's monthly 5" triple play club.

Feb...5.83"...Mar....5.17"...Apr....4.30" so far

NYC previous 2000's 3 months in a row with 5" or more

ASO...2011...MAM....2011....MJJ...2009....JJA....2007....JJA...2006...SON....2002

1 hour ago, JerseyWx said:

This April has basically felt like a coninuation of March, outside of last weekend.  Still can't get rid of the 20's by mid-April.

Forsythia have yet to bloom here.  Latest I can remember.    Deck was icy this morning as last nights rainfall froze as it cleared out...

3 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

Forsythia have yet to bloom here.  Latest I can remember.    Deck was icy this morning as last nights rainfall froze as it cleared out...

They started blooming here last Friday and are at nearly full color here on my hill even though we had .3" of snow on the ground this morning and 2 nights below freezing since they first popped.

54 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

I just looked at the GFS and what it says for the next 36 hours or there about,,,,,,,,is that ice and snow possibly in the not too far north western suburbs in mid April ? Im not talking just North of NYC but well North,,,still crazy on April 19th or 20 th 

I don't think of myself as far north and there is snow and frozen precip in my forecast for tomorrow night. Yuck <_<

9 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

They started blooming here last Friday and are at nearly full color here on my hill even though we had .3" of snow on the ground this morning and 2 nights below freezing since they first popped.

I don't think of myself as far north and there is snow and frozen precip in my forecast for tomorrow night. Yuck <_<

Gravity,,,Im in New City / Rockland and don't consider myself far from the city but I feel anything North n West of me is,,,lol,,,,just crazy that its April 19th and this is happening

4 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

Honestly, I'm very surprised at how bare it still looks.  Even our Dogwoods are completely brown.

2 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

Blooming has been slow, things finally started to take off last Friday but it's been a slow process especially when you compare it to previous years. 

There were years where we were fully leafed out by now. 

Is there some official repository of leaf-out/bloom dates for various locations in the area?  I never really follow it but am curious how "late" we really are.  

13 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Is there some official repository of leaf-out/bloom dates for various locations in the area?  I never really follow it but am curious how "late" we really are.  

I always notice between the 20th and 25th is when leaf out really starts to occur with most trees in full bloom by the second week of May. I have a picture from last year on 4/20 and the trees were alot further along. But I've noticed a pretty big change already just this week so while we're behind I'm not sure it'll end up being by more than a week or so

12 minutes ago, bluewave said:

This Western ridge and Eastern trough cool and stormy pattern really has staying power. The closer in time we get, the more amplified it gets. Record +PMM warm pool continues between the West Coast and Hawaii back to the Central and Western Pacific. 

New EPS run

ecmwf-ens_z500a_namer_9.thumb.png.55b17991efbe6b98aa2d09b3655a54a1.png

Old run

ecmwf-ens_z500a_namer_11.thumb.png.c7bc4a1f38af43316a9d31aa14c60d5c.png

I would think we will have a pretty good chance of seeing the coastal storm middle/end of next week that has been shown on some of the models, could be another good rainmaker to. I am all for the stormy pattern I would just like the temps to be a bit warmer. I would be fine with a stormy summer with temps in the 70's/80's versus hot/dry.

5 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

I would think we will have a pretty good chance of seeing the coastal storm middle/end of next week that has been shown on some of the models, good be another good rainmaker to. I am all for the stormy pattern I would just like the temps to be a bit warmer. I would be fine with a stormy summer with temps in the 70's/80's versus hot/dry.

The EPS has a strong signal for the northern and southern streams to phase mid to late next week. Looks like NYC has a shot at topping 5" for the third consecutive month. Hard to believe the last time this happened was way back in 2011.

3 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The EPS has a strong signal for the northern and southern streams to phase mid to late next week. Looks like NYC has a shot at topping 5" for the third consecutive month. Hard to believe the last time this happened was way back in 2011.

Where was that back during the heart of winter? If only.

39 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

We would have crushed snowfall records. That first nor’easter in March especially had it occurred a month earlier would have been feet. 

Today was a somewhat spring like day. At least it wasn’t raw

sun makes all the difference.  Friday-Mon while cool will be sunny and if there's limited wind it will feel 10 degrees warmer mid-day and early afternoon

Just now, BrooklynSnow said:

Surprised to see some breaks in the clouds and even the sun coming out this morning.  Maybe we can bust high on temps if the clouds move out faster than forecasted.  Though I do see some rain SW of here still...

All of Western PA is full of precip, that has to swing through here. It's dark and overcast in my location and there should be periods of light rain or showers all day.

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived