Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

32 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

I may be off my rocker a bit but I think we may be tracking our first shot at 90's during the first 10 days of May.

Not a complete stretch if you asked me, being that many stations were within 5 - 7 degrees of it this past fri-sat.   At some point this whole pattern may snap back in the other direction...

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

I may be off my rocker a bit but I think we may be tracking our first shot at 90's during the first 10 days of May.

Probably, it's not that hard to do however the base state will likely be BN until perhaps the next seasonal shift. 

If there's anything the 2010s have shown is that patterns love to stick around for months at a time. 

I wish I was here

Weather Service Green Bay WI 1137 AM CDT Sun Apr 15 2018 WIZ022-038>040-048>050-073-074-151945- Door-Outagamie-Brown-Kewaunee-Winnebago-Calumet-Manitowoc- Southern Marinette County-Southern Oconto County- 1137 AM CDT Sun Apr 15 2018 ...HISTORIC APRIL SNOWSTORM CONTINUES TO BRING BLIZZARD CONDITIONS THIS AFTERNOON... Radar indicated a large band of moderate to heavy snow across much of northeast Wisconsin. This band of snow will continue through mid afternoon, then gradually taper off to light snow or light freezing drizzle late this afternoon. Snowfall rates of 1 to 3 inches per hour are expected in the heavy snow bands. Northeast winds gusting to 35 to 50 mph will create significant areas of blowing and drifting snow and may cause some tree damage and sporadic power outages. Motorist can expect widespread visibilities of a quarter of a mile or less through mid afternoon, and at times down to near zero due to the heavy snow and blowing snow. Additional snow accumulations through late evening will be in the 5 to 10 inch range on top of what already has fallen. This is a historic April snowstorm that is expected to produce 15 to 30 inches across much of the area with locally higher amounts. Extremely difficult travel conditions will continue into this evening. Travel is not recommended, except in the case of an emergency. If you must travel, take adequate precautions to ensure you remain safe if you become stranded. Make sure your vehicles tires, battery, lights, defrosters and windshield wipers are in good working order before beginning your trip. Make sure the gasoline tank is full before crossing open country. Be sure to take along a flashlight, blankets, food, and water. If you become stranded, remain with your vehicle.

10 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

I wish I was here

Weather Service Green Bay WI 1137 AM CDT Sun Apr 15 2018 WIZ022-038>040-048>050-073-074-151945- Door-Outagamie-Brown-Kewaunee-Winnebago-Calumet-Manitowoc- Southern Marinette County-Southern Oconto County- 1137 AM CDT Sun Apr 15 2018 ...HISTORIC APRIL SNOWSTORM CONTINUES TO BRING BLIZZARD CONDITIONS THIS AFTERNOON... Radar indicated a large band of moderate to heavy snow across much of northeast Wisconsin. This band of snow will continue through mid afternoon, then gradually taper off to light snow or light freezing drizzle late this afternoon. Snowfall rates of 1 to 3 inches per hour are expected in the heavy snow bands. Northeast winds gusting to 35 to 50 mph will create significant areas of blowing and drifting snow and may cause some tree damage and sporadic power outages. Motorist can expect widespread visibilities of a quarter of a mile or less through mid afternoon, and at times down to near zero due to the heavy snow and blowing snow. Additional snow accumulations through late evening will be in the 5 to 10 inch range on top of what already has fallen. This is a historic April snowstorm that is expected to produce 15 to 30 inches across much of the area with locally higher amounts. Extremely difficult travel conditions will continue into this evening. Travel is not recommended, except in the case of an emergency. If you must travel, take adequate precautions to ensure you remain safe if you become stranded. Make sure your vehicles tires, battery, lights, defrosters and windshield wipers are in good working order before beginning your trip. Make sure the gasoline tank is full before crossing open country. Be sure to take along a flashlight, blankets, food, and water. If you become stranded, remain with your vehicle.

They are certainly not foreign to snow, but this much snow at one time is way out of the norm for them. Most areas in the midwest have never seen 20-30 inches of snow from one storm during any month of the year.

Minneapolis for example has only had 5 storms above 17 inches since they've kept records since the 1880's. NYC during the same time period has had 16 such storms.

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

NYC just missed the low max record by 3 degrees.

MAXIMUM         44    108 AM  
4/15 41 in 1943 41 in 1885 42 in 1923

44/38 so far in the park today. Midnight max and evening minimum. 

61/45 average. -12 departure. 

Very impressive after +8 yesterday (departure severely muted by midnight N minimum) and +19 Friday. 

Next 8 days still averaging 51degs., or 3degs. BN.

Month to date is  -3.4.  Should be  -3.3 by the 24th.

April 23 to May 02 looks real wet, even if most of it goes south of us.  Mid-May seems the earliest AN temperatures will take over here.

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived