Newest Member
    joxey
April 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Snow88 said:

Euro is way better than the other models. Eps is also more north. This is most likely coming more northwest.

The 1st storm has more cold air than the 2nd storm.

I'm not sure if this will end up more NW, the first shortwave drags the baroclinic zone further s&e. 

I wouldn't be surprised if this stays south or trends even further south. 

11 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

I'm not sure if this will end up more NW, the first shortwave drags the baroclinic zone further s&e. 

I wouldn't be surprised if this stays south or trends even further south. 

Based off what ?

Gfs is now more northwest

Ahead of a strong cold front, temperatures will rise into the upper 50s in northern parts of the region and 60s elsewhere across much of the New York City Metro Area today. However, a line of showers or even thundershowers will move through the region late this morning or early this afternoon. Once that happens, the temperature will fall sharply. Toward midnight, readings will likely in the upper 30s and lower 40s.

Even as the cold returns, the 500 mb pattern remains similar to some of those that resulted in April snowfalls in the Middle Atlantic and southern New England regions. While the kind of strong 500 mb ridge that was present just south of Alaska in April 1982 is lacking this time around, there are broad similarities to the upper air pattern that preceded the spring blizzard.

One should not assume a similar outcome to 1982 in which New York City and New England received widespread 8” or greater snowfalls, along with blizzard conditions. Instead, the broad similarities and differences, when taken together, imply the possibility of a storm that could take a track east-northeastward to northeastward out to sea rather than coming north-northeastward up the coast. In addition, the air mass involved is nowhere near as cold as the record cold air mass involved in 1982.

Nevertheless, there could be a stripe of moderate snowfall just to the north of the storm track. Thus, at least a measurable snowfall remains within the realm of possibility for parts of the region during Saturday afternoon and Saturday night (with 1”-3” looking reasonable in New York City and nearby northern suburbs. The largest accumulations could occur from central or southern New Jersey and southward. There, 3”-6” amounts could be commonplace. In that area, some sites could pick up 8” of snow.

Finally, the EPS continues to suggest that a period of warmer than normal weather could arrive near mid-month. The potential for New York City to reach 70° for the first time since February 21 during that time is on the table.

New York City’s Average Temperature Through:

4/3 43.5° (4.8° below normal)
4/5 43.4°-44.6° (4/3 estimate: 43.2°-46.8°)
4/10 41.9°-45.5° (4/3 estimate: 42.7°-47.8°)

Per aggressive sensitivity analysis, the estimated probability of an below normal monthly anomaly: 54% (4/3 estimate: 53%)

When talking about April 6, 1982, you should always mention the El Chichon volcanic eruption of late March, in Mexico.

It cooled the NH and added particulate matter to it, for precipitation to form more easily.   

It was given at the time as the causative factor in the severity of this out of season event.  There was a brownish-yellow streak to the our blue skies, visible at the time.

The storm had a Blizzard Warning in effect for NYC.   The snow fell during the daytime, roughly 4AM---6PM.   The temperature must have been under 32 for a 24 hour period sometime between April 6-7.

6 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Still too early to say this

The navgem looks perfect for NYC. I don't have maps for that model but just the precip but I would guess it would be a 6-12 inch snows for NYC and even Boston gets in the action. Philly does well also. DC could have mixing issues but just northwest of there could get a foot. Let's say Leesburg.

Btw navgem has NYC snowing (moderate-heavy snow) from roughly 8pm Saturday until 8am Sunday. Probably the most interesting part about that run.

2 minutes ago, NewYorkweatherfan said:

The navgem looks perfect for NYC. I don't have maps for that model but just the precip but I would guess it would be a 6-12 inch snows for NYC and even Boston gets in the action. Philly does well also. DC could have mixing issues but just northwest of there could get a foot. Let's say Leesburg.

Btw navgem has NYC snowing (moderate-heavy snow) from roughly 8pm Saturday until 8am Sunday. Probably the most interesting part about that run.

Navgem is less amped than 0z but more amped than the other models.

8 minutes ago, NewYorkweatherfan said:

I have been watching this closely for days ,,starting the drive back to NYC from Florida on Saturday A M ,,,,gut tells me this keeps creeping northward as it gets closer to game time its been the trend all winter, timing sucks right now for me !

4 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

I have been watching this closely for days ,,starting the drive back to NYC from Florida on Saturday A M ,,,,gut tells me this keeps creeping northward as it gets closer to game time its been the trend all winter, timing sucks right now for me !

Take a flight in time for the snow event haha

1 minute ago, NewYorkweatherfan said:

Take a flight in time for the snow event haha

I wish it was an option,,but it AINT ! Just a matter of checking models and trying to figure out the timing, even if I leave Friday nite that appears right now to not work out,,,Friday morning might be the option,,,,Im going to keep checking models and what guys that know more than myself think,,,tough call right now on timing

The main story today will be the strong winds. First, a fine line of convection may be able to bring down some stronger gusts. Behind the front, there will be deep CAA mixing to 800 mb. This  will produce widespread gusts near 50 mph with some spots possibly approaching 60 mph. 

180404125319.gif.979586be8e69c1ee7982d1647bfe4078.gif

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived