• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring 2018

2 minutes ago, paweather said:

about 4" in Palmyra melting fast great look in the AM with trees grass snow covered. Looks like models trended south for the weekend let's hope for a north trend today. 

I feel a little mixed about this weekend...as much as I love snow and will take all of it with open arms no matter the calendar, there is a part of me that would find it utterly cool to see the Carolina Piedmont get measurable snow in April. I would be beyond happy for them if it actually happened. I enjoy weather phenomena like that. 

1 minute ago, maytownpawx said:

I feel a little mixed about this weekend...as much as I love snow and will take all of it with open arms no matter the calendar, there is a part of me that would find it utterly cool to see the Carolina Piedmont get measurable snow in April. I would be beyond happy for them if it actually happened. I enjoy weather phenomena like that. 

True. But man one more for me, it is like an addiction. :-) 

1 minute ago, paweather said:

True. But man one more for me, it is like an addiction. :-) 

I'm at the point that the thing I most enjoy about all of this is that every week we're tracking snow is one less week of tracking heat. I was driving home from a family get together last evening at 8:00pm and it wasn't dark yet - it was kind of wild knowing it would be snowing in 8 hours or so. Crazy stuff! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, maytownpawx said:

I'm at the point that the thing I most enjoy about all of this is that every week we're tracking snow is one less week of tracking heat. I was driving home from a family get together last evening at 8:00pm and it wasn't dark yet - it was kind of wild knowing it would be snowing in 8 hours or so. Crazy stuff! 

completely awesome, right? It was 60 degrees yesterday and then snow and beautiful this morning. I would like to be tracking into May but I know the days are numbered. What a pattern we have been in over the last 30 or so days. If it weren't for a couple of Nor'easters misses it would have been even better. 

Just got a text from my friend in Paramus, NJ (Bergen county) who said he got 7.2" in less than 5 hours.  It was crazy heavy from around 6:00am to 9:00am.  So it looks like the storm may have strengthened a bit more near the coast than models originally thought?

Second, I just melted down my snowfall and got 0.74" of liquid.  With 2.6" of snow that equates to an SLR of 3.5 : 1.  That's obviously too low because it includes the initial rainfall before it changed over, and I have no idea how much rain actually fell first.  Also, based on others' measurements at bout this latitude it looks like 3.5 to 4.0" amounts were common.  I probably got somewhere between 3.0 and 3.5" and it had melted/compacted by the time I measured...although I did measure before sunrise, but the temp bottomed out at only 32.4 degrees, so it was melting and compacting the entire time it was snowing.  

Great to hear MDT got 3.9".  If they had gotten one more tenth of an inch it would have been #5 on the greatest one-day April events.  But, today's daily snowfall record was only 0.3", so that record was obliterated.  Year of previous record was 1911 !!!!  So, it's been 107 years since it snowed this much on today's date at MDT.  Nice!!  My grandparents were teenagers back then...lol.

9 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

That’s great MAG, Congrats!

I have about 3 inches as of now in Marysville. I’m happy that it still is snowing at your place, so that means I still have a few more hours to go here !

Do you have any thoughts on our snow chances later this week ?

Well not sure on an actual storm per say, but it looks to be a pretty robust shot of cold air coming in for the weekend. The potential weekend storm looks to be south currently, although the GFS eventually has a following system at the beginning of next week that appears to be snow producing. Details aside, certainly the moral of the story is that this pattern for at least the next 8-14 days is no where near a sustained springtime pattern.. and the potential is there within that pattern to produce yet another type of event like what just happened this morning. So we'll have to keep watching.

Back on the weekend, there looks to be a frontal passage Fri-Fri night bringing in pretty impressive cold (for April). Low level lapses are progged to be pretty impressive, as you would figure on with the strong April sun and surface warming. Could be lots of snow showers/squalls around or even some kind of organized line of such things with the frontal passage. That might be what the models are trying to portray with the QPF across the state in that timeframe (roughly between 102-114). 

This mornings event seems like it quietly ended up targeting our folks "living on the fringes"... with 5-7" reports being pretty common around the Centre region (State College and surrounding), 4-5" where 2001kx is and the same around IPT where the climo station there reported 4.6" this morning. It seems the more robust high res NAM/HRRR amounts and somewhat further north placement of the heavy snow axis won the day. 

18 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

This mornings event seems like it quietly ended up targeting our folks "living on the fringes"... with 5-7" reports being pretty common around the Centre region (State College and surrounding), 4-5" where 2001kx is and the same around IPT where the climo station there reported 4.6" this morning. It seems the more robust high res NAM/HRRR amounts and somewhat further north placement of the heavy snow axis won the day. 

Yea it's nice to see places that miss out on snow, finally get the higher totals.

It was great to score 3.9 inches of snow at MDT to bring the seasonal total to date up to 38 inches. This is crazy considering that they started March at 18 inches.

The 18z GFS & GEFS say that we have the chance to make a run at more snow. They both give us chances on Saturday & again on Sunday night into Monday.

Onward to a 40+ inch snow season !

BC4FCFE0-9B65-463E-A93D-435C34960ACF.png

0080A3AC-601C-47CC-B183-BBB794FF2FEB.png

1 hour ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

It was great to score 3.9 inches of snow at MDT to bring the seasonal total to date up to 38 inches. This is crazy considering that they started March at 18 inches.

The 18z GFS & GEFS say that we have the chance to make a run at more snow. They both give us chances on Saturday & again on Sunday night into Monday.

Onward to a 40+ inch snow season !

BC4FCFE0-9B65-463E-A93D-435C34960ACF.png

0080A3AC-601C-47CC-B183-BBB794FF2FEB.png

Bring it home Blizz....with this pattern no giving up. 18z shows similar look to previous runs where the cold front came in earlier not as strong and gave room for the low to come further north. If this was January suppressed city but its not I feel good about where we are right now. Squeeze one more. I was going in hibernation 2 weeks ago and it forced me back. LOL. It's Nut fault when he started the new thread he said see you in November and we are still staying up for the GFS, at least I am, in April. Well maybe not fault but good. :-) 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, snowsux said:

Models are always showing snow for PA during the first part of April. Do you guys get as giddy as this every year?

Let me try to answer your question honestly.  I absolutely get giddy tracking snow when I see a model showing it. Is it weird, well maybe but who gives a sh!t. I would like to ask you a question.  Do you get giddy posting stupid comments?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, daxx said:

Let me try to answer your question honestly.  I absolutely get giddy tracking snow when I see a model showing it. Is it weird, well maybe but who gives a sh!t. I would like to ask you a question.  Do you get giddy posting stupid comments?

don't give him any attention. whoever he is, just wants attention. 

Just now, daxx said:

Yea...If the weekend storm doses not work out, we have the one early next week to track. I still think we see more snow,but how much is to be determined. 

I agree. There is definitely more either a stronger cold front that suppresses the first storm and then we see about early next week. My vibe says weekend storm is on.  

4 hours ago, paweather said:

Bring it home Blizz....with this pattern no giving up. 18z shows similar look to previous runs where the cold front came in earlier not as strong and gave room for the low to come further north. If this was January suppressed city but its not I feel good about where we are right now. Squeeze one more. I was going in hibernation 2 weeks ago and it forced me back. LOL. It's Nut fault when he started the new thread he said see you in November and we are still staying up for the GFS, at least I am, in April. Well maybe not fault but good. :-) 

I’ll gladly be the one to blame. Lol

Left HIA with snow just ending and arrived at Tampa st Pete to 81deg and was swimming in the gulf (Clearwater)by 2:30 this afternoon. Had to do it just to say I covered the extremes today.  Never did that before  

dont tell the Warmies I said so... but it is nice down here.  

Nut

5 hours ago, daxx said:

He has become the first person I've ever put on ignore on any online forum. 

I think the 2nd wave early next week is the one to focus on. Seems like there's an opportunity for 2 pieces of energy to phase on the east coast. Tricky, highly intricate setup, but man if everything comes together we could be looking at something far more than a nuisance. 

• Like 1