• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring 2018

52 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Up here we've been fringed all day. Storms to the west and east, and now this evening's festivities are mostly east. Whatever manages to get close fizzles out. Just take a look at CTP's map. The warnings are up in Berks, Lehigh, Carbon, and Luzerne. An almost complete wrap around of Schuylkill and Tamaqua.

See. You can't make this stuff up...

Screenshot_20180803-223318~2.png

I don't often post at 2:50am but enough is enough! I am getting constant flash flood warning alerts on my phone and the rain is relentless. It has been almost a constant deluge since about 8pm last evening and I fear what is happening in low-lying areas around me. Should be interesting to see the gauge come sunrise...

40 minutes ago, canderson said:

That line from York to Lancaster was impressive. 

That line farther north produced  about 3.5" in Reading and Allentown. Parts of the Musikfest festival grounds along the Monocacy Creek in Bethlehem flooded this morning.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Voyager said:

That line farther north produced  about 3.5" in Reading and Allentown. Parts of the Musikfest festival grounds along the Monocacy Creek in Bethlehem flooded this morning.

Oh wow had no idea. We had mostly right rain but it did get a bit heavy around 10ish. HBg for once missed the heavy stuff - too far west. 

Capital City Airport (KCXY) & Harrisburg International Airport (KMDT) are only about 5.36 miles apart as a crow flies. KCXY is roughly 5.2 miles north and 1.3 miles west of KMDT. I bring this up due to the YTD rainfall of each. As of AUG 9th KCXY was at 34.98” and KMDT was at 40.72”. I thought that was a decent difference (5.74” & 16.4% > KCXY).

I pull up 2017 rainfall for the same dates. KCXY was at 23.00” and KMDT was at 32.02”. Nothing like a 12.02” difference (52.3% > KCXY). Now that difference did close some through the rest of the year (see below). For curiosity sake I went through the last 15 years of data as shown below.

fd2ff0a2f5714ae10d34dfdc5801624e.png

Who knew that 5 miles could mean an extra 4”(11.1% >)(median) - 6.5”(17.6% >)(mean) of rain a year. My favorite is 2011, 73.73” vs 51.28”.

Any Mets want to jump in with some reasons for this little microclimate quark?

. Pro

19 hours ago, Jns2183 said:

Capital City Airport (KCXY) & Harrisburg International Airport (KMDT) are only about 5.36 miles apart as a crow flies. KCXY is roughly 5.2 miles north and 1.3 miles west of KMDT. I bring this up due to the YTD rainfall of each. As of AUG 9th KCXY was at 34.98” and KMDT was at 40.72”. I thought that was a decent difference (5.74” & 16.4% > KCXY).

I pull up 2017 rainfall for the same dates. KCXY was at 23.00” and KMDT was at 32.02”. Nothing like a 12.02” difference (52.3% > KCXY). Now that difference did close some through the rest of the year (see below). For curiosity sake I went through the last 15 years of data as shown below.

fd2ff0a2f5714ae10d34dfdc5801624e.png

Who knew that 5 miles could mean an extra 4”(11.1% >)(median) - 6.5”(17.6% >)(mean) of rain a year. My favorite is 2011, 73.73” vs 51.28”.

Any Mets want to jump in with some reasons for this little microclimate quark?

. Pro

Fantastic data. Thank you for researching and sharing.

July redux...

The Susquehanna Valley is getting it once again this morning, while areas to the east of I-81 get fringed. If I took a radar image from the last week of July, this morning's radar would look almost exactly the same....

Just an amazing, frustrating pattern...

July redux...
The Susquehanna Valley is getting it once again this morning, while areas to the east of I-81 get fringed. If I took a radar image from the last week of July, this morning's radar would look almost exactly the same....
Just an amazing, frustrating pattern...

Heavier rains look east of 81

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
Flash Flood Warning
National Weather Service State College PA
1123 AM EDT MON AUG 13 2018

The National Weather Service in State College PA has issued a

* Flash Flood Warning for...
  Northeastern Lycoming County in north central Pennsylvania...
  Western Sullivan County in north central Pennsylvania...

* Until 215 PM EDT.

* At 1122 AM EDT, Doppler radar indicated heavy rain across the
  warned area. Flash flooding is expected to begin shortly.  A
  voluntary evacuation of Forksville is also underway.  Please refer
  to local emergency officials for further instructions.

* Some locations that will experience flooding include...
  Kettle Creek Gorge, Lincoln Falls, Barbours, Shunk, Forksville and
  Hillsgrove.

36 minutes ago, pawatch said:

I don't think I have ever seen anything like this. The pattern doesn't seem to want to change. Some days 1.65" even on an off day .50" from downpours. Yesterday it was more to the east of us.

Everyone stay dry!!! Just think if this was snow...

Every time it rains bro, every time it rains :arrowhead:

54 minutes ago, pawatch said:

I don't think I have ever seen anything like this. The pattern doesn't seem to want to change. Some days 1.65" even on an off day .50" from downpours. Yesterday it was more to the east of us.

Everyone stay dry!!! Just think if this was snow...

I didnt say it.....you did.

But good lord do i ever think it.  All the time.  

that ctp graphic above shows that many of us in east central pa have gotten raked....and looking at the lr on TT we still look to be not quite be out of the woods yet.

this has been one of the muggiest summers in some time.  Looking forward to Septembers first cool shots (hopefully anyway).  

Nut

• Like 1