• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring 2018

Well it certainly wasn't one of the best in years (unless you're east of my location)...lol

It came in rather benign, even though the sky looked ugly and mean. There was no lightning or thunder to precede the event at all. As the dark cloudds rolled in, the breeze picked up and we had a few fat raindrops. then the rain stopped and it got rather calm. Then another breezy gust that accompanied by some rain and a bit of hail. then it stopped again. Then the "main show" hit, which was when I made my previous post. The breeze became stronger and the rain came, along with some pea sized hail. It was a torrent for about 15 minutes, then lightened up to what we have now.

As for the lightning and thunder, once the line moved east of my location it became a noisy storm, so in typical fashion (but not as pronounced as other storms) the line weakened as it arrived at my location, and re-intensified to my east.

My home town of Nanticoke, PA got hammered from straight-line winds, from what I am seeing from friends and such on FB. Damaged roofs, trees broken and even a few uprooted (some pretty big ones too, like a couple of feet across), power out in several places, just a total mess.

Northeast Cumberland County got smacked. My department handled over 30 incidents for service, which we received in about 10 minutes. I'm sure djr will report in ( not sure if he has power) his road had about 20 trees across it. My nephews house ( which I built and lived in for 10 years) had a tree go through his roof. Pretty crazy storm. 

7 hours ago, sauss06 said:

Northeast Cumberland County got smacked. My department handled over 30 incidents for service, which we received in about 10 minutes. I'm sure djr will report in ( not sure if he has power) his road had about 20 trees across it. My nephews house ( which I built and lived in for 10 years) had a tree go through his roof. Pretty crazy storm. 

Wow...I'm so sorry to hear that. 

We ended up with what really was a pretty pedestrian thundershower. After the initial gust front we had zero wind to speak of, no hail, and some decent rain. Sunday night's storm was far more impressive in my neighborhood. 

5 hours ago, maytownpawx said:

Wow...I'm so sorry to hear that. 

We ended up with what really was a pretty pedestrian thundershower. After the initial gust front we had zero wind to speak of, no hail, and some decent rain. Sunday night's storm was far more impressive in my neighborhood. 

pretty crazy 10 minutes. 

17 hours ago, sauss06 said:

I wasn't at home when it hit but I have sticks, branches, leaves everywhere - leaves even stuck to my siding.  I had yet another tree fall (uprooted from ground being so saturated) and take out at least one other on its way down.  That is now at least 4 trees I have lost since the wind storm last October.  With the rain forecast the next few days if we get another round of strong winds there will be more that fall in the area.  Surprisingly my power only dipped a few times, never lost it completely.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, canderson said:

Sounds like we missed a real storm. There are limbs all over here when we got home this afternoon.

You definitely did. We had a couple huge old trees uprooted. Me and my dad were cutting them down and trying to salvage them yesterday. It kinda sucks because they use the trees for privacy in their backyard. Also had a neighbors boat ram into my dads truck and scratch the entire side and crack his mirror. Oh and our other neighbors fence around their pool got completely ripped up.

On 5/15/2018 at 10:32 PM, sauss06 said:

It sounds like you guys got hit hard by that storm. We had a few small branches come down, but nothing too bad despite the strong wind. 

I have had enough of the rain this week!

However, I just found myself looking at the radar, wishing that a snowstorm was incoming with the precip that is currently developing to our South that is crawling up the coast. It would be awesome to get a week of precip like this in the winter. We would be buried in snow. Ok, back to reality now !

I am looking forward to a week of sunny & dry weather with temps in the 70’s. That should not be too much to ask for in May!

On 5/18/2018 at 8:32 PM, Blizzard of 93 said:

It sounds like you guys got hit hard by that storm. We had a few small branches come down, but nothing too bad despite the strong wind. 

i know the NWS went up to the Mount Holley area, but i can't believe they didn't come to East Pennsboro twp. to survey the damage. 

On 5/21/2018 at 6:33 AM, sauss06 said:

i know the NWS went up to the Mount Holley area, but i can't believe they didn't come to East Pennsboro twp. to survey the damage. 

Hey did you see NWS issued a statement on Friday saying it was an EF1 just a few houses down the road from me? Crazy but I believe it based on the tree damage around here - hate I wasn’t at home when it hit to be able to describe what was happening. 

704A5306-F2AE-4B75-8100-186629D1DD1D.png

On 5/27/2018 at 7:10 PM, djr5001 said:

Hey did you see NWS issued a statement on Friday saying it was an EF1 just a few houses down the road from me? Crazy but I believe it based on the tree damage around here - hate I wasn’t at home when it hit to be able to describe what was happening. 

704A5306-F2AE-4B75-8100-186629D1DD1D.png

I heard about this Friday morning from my chief while on a call. I still don't understand their assessment. There was so much other damage, it wasn't limited to just Bella Vista. i Assume you know where Holtz Road is? Did you see the damage back in there?

I was telling my wife about the confirmed tornado. She said i figured that as i have never seen our trees do what they did. I'm like whaddya mean? She said normally blow towards one direction, she said the other day they were like spinning in a circle :)

22 hours ago, canderson said:

Is this forecast rain actually going to occur over the next two or so days, or will it be another large miss for us? 

I think we're in line for a pretty good soaking between now and Sunday evening.

What I want to know is this - how many sunny, refreshingly low humidity days have we had this spring? 

7 hours ago, maytownpawx said:

I think we're in line for a pretty good soaking between now and Sunday evening.

What I want to know is this - how many sunny, refreshingly low humidity days have we had this spring? 

I watched entire storms get murdered by the mountains tonight, while I had a .1” of rain. I’m thinking anyone near and south of the turnpike gets almost nothing this weekend.